Our valued sponsor

UK Limited Company but moving elsewhere

polonieth

Mentor Group Lifetime
Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

Looking to get some nice free advice

I'm joint 50% owner of UK Ltd Company. Just me and business partner.
Setup as an employee and taking rest via dividends
UK tax resident.
Currently split time between UK and Western Europe.
No huge ties to UK other than being a tax resident. Not property owner, no kids, etc. So I can travel pretty freely.
Bulk of income is from affiliate marketing / some ecommerce.

Should I look into becoming a tax resident somewhere other than the UK? Ltd company needs to be kept as biz partner has ties to the UK.

If you split time between the UK and Western Europe, just be aware that as of 1/1/21, all British nationals without other passports are caught by the 90/180 rule. Combined total stay in the entire Schengen zone cannot exceed 90 days in any 180 day rolling window. Just Google around for Americans pining to stay in Europe for more than 90 days at a time, and 'Schengen calculator', and that is the precise situation. This is policed and overstays can lead to being banned from Schengen for 10y.

Nb., countries in the EU but outside Schengen like Bulgaria, Romania, Cyprus, Croatia -- you can stay up to 90 days in each, although Croatia is on a mission to join Schengen so when they do, they will fold into the above 90/180.

If you split time between the UK and Western Europe, just be aware that as of 1/1/21, all British nationals without other passports are caught by the 90/180 rule. Combined total stay in the entire Schengen zone cannot exceed 90 days in any 180 day rolling window. Just Google around for Americans pining to stay in Europe for more than 90 days at a time, and 'Schengen calculator', and that is the precise situation. This is policed and overstays can lead to being banned from Schengen for 10y.

Nb., countries in the EU but outside Schengen like Bulgaria, Romania, Cyprus, Croatia -- you can stay up to 90 days in each, although Croatia is on a mission to join Schengen so when they do, they will fold into the above 90/180.

Yes I was mainly looking for advice on where else I should base myself, and what possibilities there are of either maintaining directorship of the UK ltd, or setting up something else.