Our valued sponsor

UK + Malta company

Hmmm

Sep 8, 2022
Greenland
Visit site
Hi

I earn from youtube and Malta on motion picture has 10% WHT, but UK only 0%.

What if I open UK company to receive payments, spend for services (required to run business), and let's say 20% of profit I transfer to my Malta company for consultancy/management (and then pay dividends with small taxes).

I'm not resident in Malta, not in UK, but resident one of EU country.

I would be in UK and Malta companies 100% shareholder and director.

So question is if UK wouldn't piss me off due to same UBO in both companies and quite silly scheme to avoid taxes for UK company? :)

What if I open UK company to receive payments, spend for services (required to run business), and let's say 20% of profit I transfer to my Malta company for consultancy/management (and then pay dividends with small taxes).

Who will operate those services since you said are required to run the business?

Also who will be managing the company in Malta?

I'm not resident in Malta, not in UK, but resident one of EU country.

All EU countries have some sort of CFC rules so unless you have directors and employees for both companies you are really looking for problems with that setup.

BTW which EU country are you resident in? So that we know how aggressive is your tax administration.

Reactions: bonox
And malta can ask you for full details of your entire international structure with full beneficial ownership data - for sharing with all relevant countries. It’s part of how Malta got off the grey list.
Thank you for this information, it's worth to know for everyone reading this thread.

Do you speak from personal experience or just general tax regulation rules in Malta?

Thank you for this information, it's worth to know for everyone reading this thread.

Do you speak from personal experience or just general tax regulation rules in Malta?
I read it on a company formation website that focuses on Malta - i can post the link in this thread - if that’s permitted - or otherwise I can copy and paste the relevant text from their website.

Marzio, from YouTube ad earrings google always deduct WHT rate by country. For some countries this rate is 0%.

I'm from Lithuania. Malta and Lithuania have double taxation treaty; Malta doesn't have taxes on dividends, but I still need to pay 15% taxes on dividends in Lithuania after submitting tax forms here (in treaty is 15%).

If Malta and UK company operated from Lithuania would be a problem - then alright - let's eliminate Malta and I open company in LT, where I'm tax resident, and second company in UK. Then UK company earn from youtube and pay for all expenses (writers, video editors, ads, etc) and let's say left 20% in profit. Then "profit" before financial year I transfer to Lithuanian company for operating services, to reduce real profit to 0 to avoid paying taxes in UK.

For Lithuanian tax authorities it shouldn't be a problem because all real profit paid in Lithuania. Only UK tax authorities could bring various questions - but as far as I know they doesn't care much with small turnovers (~200k gbp/y).
Now if UK company doesn't have employees - then problem with CFC. But if I hire at least part time freelancer - then all looks legit, even if I'm 100% shareholder and director - right?

You should really put some time aside and read this post i wrote for another fellow that has the same US WHT problem as you have: Portugal NHR + Luxemburg company

BTW i asked the question about motion picture royalties because there are really 5 types of royalies:

1. industrial equipment royaltie
2. know-how/other industrial royalties
3. patent royalties
4. motion picture and television royalties
5. copyright royalties

YouTube Movies and Shows falls into category 4 but YouTube Partner Program falls into category 5.

Are you sure you are earning from Youtube Movies and Shows?

Here is the quoted text I was speaking about. I have added some underlining myself. This quote is from the website of a company that is a registered service provider and audit company in Malta. It includes the text of compliance letter from MBR. Their website says:

"After the political changes at the end of 2019, theMaltese government tried to preserve the good reputation of the country and managed to get Malta out of the FATF grey list within record time. However, they introduced an enormous level of compliance administration. Since then, companies and service providers have to report to several government units that are not coordinated and all of them carry out inspections.

A good example is the Malta Business Registry. They are entitled to register companies, but also to publish the Annual Accounts and to run the Beneficial Ownership Register. However, Malta Business Registry also carries out hundreds of inspections, where they ask to provide within a week a lot of documents that had not been required at the formation stage.

As a licensed service provider, we recommend to all clients to study the list and to have all these required documents prepared from the very beginning, it is just a few “funny” hours of effort and the ready documentation can be handed over whenever the authority ask for it. As stated above, we always recommend clients not to use director services, nominees, fiduciaries or trusts, therefore many points on the list are not applicable and the few additional papers are easy to create. Here is what the head of the compliance unit of MBR writes in a standard letter:

“"…..The inspection is being conducted in accordance with Regulation 12 of the Companies Act (Register of Beneficial Owners) Regulation (herein after referred to as the BO regulations) and is designed to review the extent to which the company is complying with Regulations 5 and 6 of the BO Regulations. In this regard you are being requested to send via email to …… the documentation listed below, to enable us to confirm each layer in the structure of ownership of the company, including the minority shareholders. Kindly note that the applicable documentation needs to be provided for all past and present Beneficial Owners / Senior Managing Officials indicated in the BO Forms submitted from 2018 onwards.

A. Documentation required for the Company:
  • Organigram / group structure detailing all layers and beneficial ownership interest
  • Entity organizational chart certified as true and correct by a director/s vested with legal responsibility (to be submitted only when SMO/s are reported in the BO forms)
  • Brief overview of nature of business entity
  • Beneficial Owners Register
  • Resolution / Minutes of the Shareholders and Directors meetings
  • Any Dividend Warrants
  • Details of banking arrangements held by entity including name of bank, facilities held and authorized bank representatives and signatories
  • Copy of Passport / ID Card of the Beneficial Owners /Senior Managing Officials
  • Details of multiple citizenship that may be held by a BO
  • Curriculum Vitae / Resume of Beneficial Owners / Senior Managing Officials
  • Declarations by the Beneficial Owners / Senior Managing Officials (if any)
B. Documentation required for each layer in the structure of ownership (including the Company)
  • Register of Members
  • Share Certificates
  • Share Register
  • Memorandum & Articles of Association (or equivalent)
  • Share transfer agreements (if any)
  • Agreements with the beneficial owners / Senior Managing Officials (Service agreement and / or Fiduciary agreement or Trust Deed (in case there is a Trust)
  • Fiduciary declarations (in case the sample includes a fiduciary relationship)
  • In case of Trusts, any “letter of wishes” which might be in place
  • Certificates of incorporation
  • Details of any powers of attorney issued
  • Details of bearer shares or promise of sale agreements (for shares) in existence
  • Where no bearer shares exist, a declaration from the director/s vested with legal responsibility
  • Any other document which verifies the links between the indirect companies and the beneficial owners / Senior Managing Officials and for all the shareholders.
Kindly send these documents via email, but not later than (date within a week). In case the requested documents are not received by the MBR officials till the deadline date given, a penalty of 10.000 Euro will be imposed against the company without any further notice. Please do not hesitate to contact …. ”"
== End of quoted text ==
Hope this info helps people considering Malta - better to be prepared if possible it seems.

Reactions: bonox and aragon
And malta can ask you for full details of your entire international structure with full beneficial ownership data - for sharing with all relevant countries. It’s part of how Malta got off the grey list.
Thank you for this heads up!

Do you know if the only purpose and outcome is to report the information to other countries? Or anything else sinister?

Reporting to other countries would seem to be their first objective… but all the collected information will also help the Malta authorities to decide how your companies and beneficial owners etc might be or could be taxed in Malta. It was not just FATF grey list that they Had troubles with. Countries including the USA have amended their DTA’s with Malta, and inserted clauses that are not in the USA’s standard DTA. The USA DTA text makes it clear the USA considers Malta is used for some kinds of tax avoidance and so they inserted some different (non-standard) terms and conditions into their DTA. Like everywhere these days, every aspect of doing business from any particular jurisdiction must be analyzed at depth prior to launch. Of course some types of business attract more attention. Our activities are all B2B so our customers scrutinize us to protect themselves from consequences of dealing with a company that is not ‘kosher’. In countries like Australia accountants are obliged to report aggressive tax arrangements by their clients to the authorities - so the range of people who are checking and reporting these days are far wider than banks. If accountants do not report then they get ‘special attention’ from the authorities themselves affecting their other clients. In addition to who is reporting on us these days, things are progressively getting tighter everywhere and more data is being collected and shared.

Latest Threads