Our valued sponsor

US Bank Account without SSN and other numbers, where?

bothe

Corporate Services
Business Angel
Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, this seems to be the proper forum to post my question.I have read on various forums that it is possible for foreigners (non US citizens) to open a bank account with any bank in the USA! For many years I read that this is not possible without at least an SSN (social security number) - now, I read that people have to visit the bank, so one will need to do vacation there for the account opening. Beside that it should not be any problem as long as you carry the following documents with you.

• valid passport not expired
  • latest bank statement from your current bank
  • bankers reference letter not older than a week or so
  • and a good reason for why you want to open the account
If you have this in place, it says that you won't have any troubles to open the account in any of the many USA banks around! wells-fargo-us-bank.jpgSo I wonder if we really speak banks like: There is also a very large list of US banks at the below link:Ras Al KhaimahSo what are your sorts about it and do you know any of the banks that actually open personal or business bank accounts just for people outside of the USA? And who don't require a SSN, EIN or other number in order to open the bank account!

/monthly_2015_04/wells-fargo-us-bank.jpg.ef89b7f337aaea07513184408475e178.jpg

Reactions: JohnLocke
I don't think it is possible to get an US bank account unless you know someone in the USA, however, I have seen similar statements and so called "guides" that should help foreign people to open an account with any US bank! We will have to wait an see what people find out and maybe someone would be so kind and post here whatever the outcome is? :)

I was just reading this on another forum, what do you think, it's true or just sales s**t?

It seems many people here are under the impression that it is not possible for a non-resident alien (foreigner) to open a US bank account. Being involved in start-ups/small businesses for as long as I have, I found this a little hard to believe. So I decided to do a little research to write up this how-to for anyone interested in jumping through the hoops required.
First, yes the Patriot Act has made things a little difficult. The biggest hurdle is a high burden of verification of identity. However there are US banks that operate internationally. Most of my research seemed to indicate HSBC was the best route to go. One site I found that has guides for various banks, and how to get US address services (like EarthClassMail, etc) is Goopen, but I don't know if these apply to business accounts or personal accounts. I can't post links due to new account status, so just google it.

Not all of the following steps might be necessary, but due to the banks having the right to refuse service for any reason it would be best to follow them all. I tried to rely on guides/information posted in the past year, since there were some changes a few years ago related to LLCs and the IRS.

a. My research showed the absolute simplest way is to have enough money to open a brokerage account. They operate under different regulations, and my Merrill Edge Cash Management Account functions identically to a bank account, except I can trade various stocks/bonds/securities!

b. The second easiest way is to take a trip to the US and open an account in person. Make sure you have your passport, and complete step 2 below before hand just in case.

1. Ensure you have all the documentation you will need to begin the process. Have a passport that isn't expired, a local bank account that you have history with that can provide a reference letter, proof of residency of your actual physical address in the form of a utility bill or if renting a signed contract that can certify your address. Ideally already own a business in your country as well, as this can help alleviate some tax liability depending on circumstances.

2. Apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number from the IRS if you don't have one already. For non-US citizens this is the equivalent of an SSN for tax purposes.

3. Acquire a US based phone number and mail forwarding service such as EarthClassMail, to be used for the US business you will be registering. I personally prefer Travelling Mailbox, but there's several others as well. Just ensure they are willing to offer address verification services to the bank, and require you to fill out USPS Form 1583 so they can legally accept mail on your behalf.

4. Register a Delaware LLC and obtain a Registered Agent for the business. To avoid being classified as a disregarded entity by the IRS for being a single member LLC, have someone from your family or a friend also be listed as a member of the LLC.

5. Apply for an EIN for your LLC.

6. Contact the US bank of your choice that has branches in your country (Bank of America, HSBC, etc). Depending on their policies, you may either need to go to the local branch for identity verification, or provide reference letters from your bank along with proof of residency, identity, etc. This process is the most time consuming part according to my research. It's also the most critical that you follow all their instructions carefully as well as be honest and forthcoming. Any ounce of suspicion might lead them to invoking their right to refuse service. On that note however, try to appear as a legitimate business providing services (such as consulting) or physical products. Don't end up getting denied due to being labeled a potential fraud risk by saying you need the account to verify your Paypal to sell your digital goods.

7. If luck is not on your side and you have been denied by the banks you've applied to, here's where your Delaware LLC can assist you. Temporarily appoint someone who is currently in the US as a Director for the LLC for the purposes of representing your business to open an account at a US branch.

8. Once you have your shiny new US bank account, ensure you keep cash coming into the account and try to keep a decent minimum balance to prevent account closure. Also be sure to consult a CPA/tax adviser to ensure you properly file and pay any taxes. This is where having a business in your country can assist as taxes paid by your business to your country's government can reduce tax liability to the US government. Don't ruin your bank account or future vacations to America by failing to fulfill all your tax obligations.

Disclaimer: Standard IANAL (I am not a lawyer) applies; however I've worked in many businesses that were in the process of doing several of the above steps. I've also been fortunate enough to have worked closely with a lawyer specializing in incorporation/merger law on his document generation service, hence my strong recommendation for a Delaware LLC. Delaware is very popular for business registrations due to various reasons beneficial to businesses, and due to that their courts are very experienced in dealing with corporate law.

If anything I've stated above is wrong and you can refer me to the correct information, I will update this post accordingly. Good luck on your future endeavors

Did you try his method or? It is confusing with all the misleading information that can be found on various forums, blogs and websites. What I believe is that you indeed can open an bank account in the USA if you do a personal visit and if you can get your banker at your current bank to phone call this US bank you want to open the account with. And finally if you have some real business they understand to show them.

I didn't try this method yet. So far I will be waiting for my trip to the USA in 2 months. In the meantime I'm looking for people WHO actually were successful to open a US account without personal visit, I can't find any reviews or such like anywhere.

I believe it allto be impossible. However, maybe someone can surprise us all and they will show us a valid option for US banking and account openings for foraign people.

Reactions: bothe
After some time considering the options I found it to be worthless to go this route. However, once I'm in the US I will try to go into a bank there and get my bank account just to be able to post about it here on the forum for others to copy that.

In the USA they register and control everything about your person. Why does anyone want to bank there if they don't live in the US?
That's defiantly true, that said for some it may be there only option (if it is an option) to get a legit bank account for paypal verification!