Our valued sponsor

US. LLC, why if I made few sales in within USA?

catslover

Dec 6, 2022
Montevideo
Visit site
I haven't created my LLC yet, I'm still in the process, but I have a question that you can help me with.

The general advice on the forum for non-US residents incorporating their LLC is not to sell within the US to avoid paying taxes.
My question is the following: if I have a single sale in the USA, do I have to pay taxes for that sale, or does this completely change the status of my LLC?

I haven't created my LLC yet, I'm still in the process, but I have a question that you can help me with.

The general advice on the forum for non-US residents incorporating their LLC is not to sell within the US to avoid paying taxes.
My question is the following: if I have a single sale in the USA, do I have to pay taxes for that sale, or does this completely change the status of my LLC?
Nah, you can do some sales in US. Just be careful where you store your goods.
Even better if you sell your own service or digital product.

Reactions: catslover

Most likely it's going to be counted as "reportable transaction" and then you need to fill tax return to report his sale and pay tax. Tip from @JackAlabama is also worthy

Most likely it's going to be counted as "reportable transaction" and then you need to fill tax return to report his sale and pay tax. Tip from @JackAlabama is also worthy
Having sales in US is not a "reportable transaction", a reportable transaction is by definition a transaction between the members of the LLC (or related parties) and the LLC (or vice-versa). If you make a sale to a client which is not your related party but an independent agent this is not a reportable transaction.

Clearly sooner or later you will transfer funds from your LLC to yourself or some related parties, i.e. another company you own (in order to distribute profits) so then you will have to file form 5472 (with the reportable transactions) and the header of form 1120 (in this case only a few fields since you do not have to file a complete tax return since the LLC is non-resident for tax purposes).

Having sales in US is not a "reportable transaction", a reportable transaction is by definition a transaction between the members of the LLC (or related parties) and the LLC (or vice-versa). If you make a sale to a client which is not your related party but an independent agent this is not a reportable transaction.

Clearly sooner or later you will transfer funds from your LLC to yourself or some related parties, i.e. another company you own (in order to distribute profits) so then you will have to file form 5472 (with the reportable transactions) and the header of form 1120 (in this case only a few fields since you do not have to file a complete tax return since the LLC is non-resident for tax purposes).
Well stated. That is my understanding as well.

If you keep all the profits in the LLC will you still have to file form 5472?
No as for my understanding.
The creation and dissolution of the LLC is a reportable transaction though so you have to report it in the form, but that is only a small amount (around $200). You have to report only the money you transfer from the LLC to yourself or a related party.

So let's say you have $3M in your LLC but you distribute yourself only $10k you have to report only the $10k you transfer to yourself since that is the only reportable transaction that needs to be reported.

Reactions: troubled soul
1671444505075.png

1671444662496.png

According to IRS website if there are no reportable transactions there is no need to file the form.

Source: Instructions for Form 5472 (12/2021) | Internal Revenue Service

So let's say you have $3M in your LLC but you distribute yourself only $10k you have to report only the $10k you transfer to yourself since that is the only reportable transaction that needs to be reported.
What happens with the rest, don't you need to report it anywhere ?

View attachment 4334
View attachment 4335

According to IRS website if there are no reportable transactions there is no need to file the form.

Source: Instructions for Form 5472 (12/2021) | Internal Revenue Service

I am confused about this form, based on what I research in internet, after 2017 IRS ask for non-US resident LLCs to file this form.

In this form you report the incoming you have outside USA, they can't tax this incoming actually, but you need to report it anyway.

Based in what you share here, you don't have to file this form if you have no sales or incoming, but in most cases you will (i think, because the propose of having the company is to make some profit).

In the other hand, people is worry about this form, because maybe IRS will share this info with your residence country, what is a little creepy for some people who want to keep everything "invisible".