Our valued sponsor

VAT refund for non-EU business in real estate purchase

Outlander

Aug 24, 2019
Visit site
Our (non-EU) company wants to invest in real estate in the EU. The sales price includes a ~20% VAT. We're looking for the best strategy to claim a VAT refund after the purchase, which (as I understand it) requires a EU company, with a few exceptions. Any service providers or ideas regarding this?

Our (non-EU) company wants to invest in real estate in the EU. The sales price includes a ~20% VAT. We're looking for the best strategy to claim a VAT refund after the purchase, which (as I understand it) requires a EU company, with a few exceptions. Any service providers or ideas regarding this?
Im not an expert but from my first impression it may be required to prove that your purchase is related to the business transaction. For example your company should be flipping houses and you can't live in such house of course.

Im not an expert but from my first impression it may be required to prove that your purchase is related to the business transaction. For example your company should be flipping houses and you can't live in such house of course.

It's for investment and short term rental. We wouldn't be living there. Our company is a real estate company, but from a country outside the list which is acceptable for a VAT refund claim.

You will need to set up a local company which will be registered for VAT, and purchase the property through that company

I understand that this is the general approach, but in this case, where to setup such a company in order to minimize tax overall? For the VAT refund itself, I believe it cannot be in the same country as the property is purchased. Could it be a LLC in the US?

Latest Threads