Our valued sponsor

Voluntary EU VAT registration for UAE company

John Noel

Sep 27, 2022
Dubai
Visit site
Dear Sirs,

I've just founded an FZCO in Dubai's IFZA.
As part of the business we have to go through some bureaucratic registration process which requires an European VAT.
I am afraid the UAE VAT format wouldn't go through in the process.

Does anyone of you know an European nation where I can voluntarily register to its national VAT system without having neither a domicile nor a market presence?
I am quite confident Spanish NIE can do the trick as a workaround but do you know any better alternative?
I am curious about Cyprus where I read:

"Anyone not required to register for VAT, as explained in the previous paragraph, may register in the following cases:
[...]
(ii) Prospective traders
A business which intends to carry out taxable transactions can apply to register for VAT as a prospective trader.
Registration applies either from the application date or from an earlier date agreed between the business and the authorised officer."

Has anyone ever had any kind of experience with Cyprus VAT registration being a foreign company?

Thanks in advance for your help

Reactions: MiltonStone
I can with pleasure give you properly advice, and direct you to propellery way.

This is how it looks:
A tax representative is a representative of a foreign taxpayer who carries out VAT-taxed activities in Poland. He performs on behalf and for the benefit of this taxpayer obligations in the field of tax settlement (e.g. submits declarations) and, possibly, other activities resulting from VAT regulations, if he has been contractually authorized by the taxpayer to do so. Performing the function of a tax representative is subject to risk - he is jointly and severally liable for the taxpayer's obligations, which he settles on his behalf. A tax representative is appointed by way of a written agreement.

Poland TAX regulation from 10.08.2022 (Time to show hard proofs)

Journal of Laws 2022.931 i.e. Effective act Version: August 10, 2022 to: December 31, 2022 Art. 18b. [Tax representative] 1. A tax representative may be a natural person, a legal person or an organizational unit without legal personality, if jointly meets the following conditions: 1) has its registered office in the territory of the country; 2) is registered as an active VAT payer, and in the case referred to in Art. 18d paragraph. 1 - as an EU VAT taxpayer; 3) for the last 24 months it has not been in arrears with payments of individual taxes constituting the income of the state budget, which separately for each tax exceed, respectively, 3% of the amount of due tax liabilities in individual taxes; the share of arrears in the amount of tax is determined in relation to the amount of due payments for the settlement period to which the arrears relates; 4) for the last 24 months a natural person who is a taxpayer, and in the case of taxpayers who are not natural persons - a person who is a partner in a civil or commercial partnership without legal personality, a member of the managing authorities, chief accountant, has not been legally convicted under the Act of 10 September 1999 - Code penal fiscal (Journal of Laws of 2021, items 408, 694, 2105 and 2427) for committing a fiscal offense; 5) is entitled to provide professional tax consultancy in accordance with the provisions on tax consultancy or to provide bookkeeping services in accordance with the provisions on accounting. 2. The requirement referred to in paragraph 1. 1, point 3, shall also be deemed to be met, if the following conditions are jointly met: 1) the entity has settled, together with interest for late payment, the arrears exceeding, separately in each tax, respectively 3% of the amount of tax liabilities due in individual taxes, within 30 days from the date of the arrears; 2) settlement of arrears in accordance with point 1 in the last 24 months did not apply to more than two accounting periods separately for each tax. 3. The provision of paragraph 1 point 5 shall not apply to the customs agency, if the taxpayer establishing this entity as a tax representative makes in the territory of the country only the import of goods whose destination is the territory of a Member State other than the territory of the country and the export from the territory of the country is made by the importer of these goods within the intra-Community delivery of goods. 4. A tax representative is appointed by way of a written contract, which should include: 1) the names of the parties to the contract and their addresses and identification data for the purposes of tax, value added tax or a tax of a similar nature, respectively; 2) address where documentation for tax purposes will be kept and stored; 3) a declaration of the entity, which is established a tax representative, about the fulfillment of the conditions referred to in paragraph 1. 1; 4) the scope of the authorization in the case specified in Art. 18c paragraph. 1 point 2; 5) in the case referred to in Art. 18d paragraph. 1, the consent of the tax representative to perform the duties and activities of the taxpayer for which he was established, on his own behalf and for the benefit of the taxpayer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have read quite easy in the Netherlands eventually Ireland, but you need to dig deeper by yourself
The Dutch website is very clear and straightforward but doesn’t mention anywhere the possibility to voluntary register for VAT without having an obligation to do so.
I will try to contact them and ask directly, there’s a phone number on their website.

The Irish website states that
“Traders whose turnover is below the VAT thresholds, farmers and sea fishers are not generally obliged to register for VAT. They may, however, elect to register for VAT.”
But I believe it refers to domestic businesses, anyways I’ll try to get in touch with them too.

You can always register voluntary for a VAT number and do nil filings.

Italy is the fastest where you can get a VAT number as non EU entity within 2 weeks using an agent. France and Netherlands VAT numbers take around two months and Germany is the slowest which can take up to three months.

I believe any country outside the EU that registers for a VAT number in the EU will need a local tax representative in that country, at least for all countries mentioned above.

very true, the ultimate fastest is Denmark where it takes a few hours to be registered for VAT, however, you play with fire doing that.
what do you mean with paying with fire?

You can always register voluntary for a VAT number and do nil filings.

Italy is the fastest where you can get a VAT number as non EU entity within 2 weeks using an agent. France and Netherlands VAT numbers take around two months and Germany is the slowest which can take up to three months.

I believe any country outside the EU that registers for a VAT number in the EU will need a local tax representative in that country, at least for all countries mentioned above.
can you share any contact details of italian VAT representative?

what do you mean with paying with fire?
Don't touch Denmark when it comes to business unless you have a ultra clean business or you want troubles. Next to China they are the worlds most monitoring country in the world.

Latest Threads