Our valued sponsor

What are some residency options leading to citizenship and second passports?

How about Ireland? English speaking. Much better passport than all the Latam and Caribbean ones. Reasonable tax if you run your own business or are non-dom. Less dodgy, safer, better rule of law, higher salaries than Latam. Takes 5 years though, plus application process.
You forgot rain, wind and cold but all above is probably correct.

You forgot rain, wind and cold but all above is probably correct.
Depends on your point of reference! Was the southern-most place I had ever lived in, at one time. Really enjoyed the mild winters and long summers of Ireland. Got permanently rid of chronic runny nose and frequent nose bleed thanks to the (relative) warm weather of Ireland.

Do those people only use cash? Because otherwise the government becomes aware of their income the second the money are deposited in bank account, no?
Do those people only use cash? Because otherwise the government becomes aware of their income the second the money are deposited in bank account, no?
Cloudbanck-

For Ireland citizenship, how long do I need to there each year (i.e. physical presence requirement)?

Thanks

Cloudbanck-

For Ireland citizenship, how long do I need to there each year (i.e. physical presence requirement)?

Thanks
Officially:

"You must have lived in the State for a certain length of time. The specific requirements are that you:
  • Have a period of 365 days (1 year) continuous reckonable residence in the State immediately before the date of your application for naturalisation and
  • During the 8 years before that, have had a total reckonable residence in the State of 1,460 days (4 years)
You can spend 70 days outside of Ireland in the year immediately before your application."

And reckonable residence is from when you have valid long term residence in Ireland. For EEA, Swiss and UK citizens, as they have automatic residency in Ireland, it counts from when they first move there. And note that you can be outside Ireland , and it still counts as reckonable residence , except for the 70 day limit for the last year before the application.

But in practice one can just drive over the border to Northern Ireland, so Ireland cant really check if you are in Ireland or not. When you apply for citizenship you just tell them how long you spent in Ireland, and among other things, you need two Irish citizens signing your application.

But in practice one can just drive over the border to Northern Ireland, so Ireland cant really check if you are in Ireland or not.

I think Ireland and the UK share a common travel area and both look after the border control for that area. So when you leave Northern Ireland or the UK for another 3rd country, they will record you as leaving the UK (and thus the common travel area). So Ireland probably has access to that data via the common travel area system.
They will know once you leave Ireland & UK.

I think Ireland and the UK share a common travel area and both look after the border control for that area. So when you leave Northern Ireland or the UK for another 3rd country, they will record you as leaving the UK (and thus the common travel area). So Ireland probably has access to that data via the common travel area system.
They will know once you leave Ireland & UK.
Ireland is in the EU and UK is out, so for example entrance requirements for EU citizens entering Ireland and the UK are different, moreover there's no immigration at any airport when you leave Ireland or the UK for that matter. And when you travel from Ireland to the UK there's no immigration control either. So you can fly from Dublin to London and then to any 3rd country and in theory no one will know when you left. Don't know all the rules about the common travel area, simply stating the facts.

I am a US citizen and I am looking at getting a residency that will lead to a second passport...not just a residency. I am an entrepreneur running my own Information Technology consulting company in the US. I want to have a "plan B" citizenship and passport, but, I don't have $100,000 USD lying around to spend on a second Citizenship by Investment program like St. Kitts, Dominica, etc. in the Caribbean. I can work remotely and in about 2 years when my younger son completes High School in the US, I can live in another country for part of the year. So, I am looking at citizenship by naturalization options that are under $100k USD like Nicaragua, Mexico, or other Latin American countries. I am also looking at just living in the Caribbean and getting citizenship through naturalization like Barbados. I would prefer shorter term naturalization periods like Argentina, Paraguay, or Ecuador. I am also looking at getting a D7 visa in Portugal and living there part of the year until I can get an EU citizenship/passport in 5 years.

Also, as a US citizen, I understand that I can gan live in the Dutch Caribbean like Aruba and Curacao with similar rights to a Dutch citizenship and apply for citizenship after 5 years. The only issue with the Netherlands is they don't permit dual citizenship and I don't want to necessarily renounce US citizenship due to family located in the US.

Any lower cost (less than $100k) recommendations on countries where I may have to put in time on the ground that will get US citizenship?

Thanks,

Passportskr
You seem to be well informed.
I have one question: What are your motives?
For example, are you doing it because you want to pay less taxes or you want to look for a safer place or you are looking for a "culture" more compatible with your personality, etc.?

It depends on what your end goal is. Makes a huge difference if we know what you focus on.

So you can fly from Dublin to London and then to any 3rd country and in theory no one will know when you left. Don't know all the rules about the common travel area, simply stating the facts.
UK keeps track of how many days people spend in/out of the UK using the travel data. I know people who applied for UK citizenship and had been abroad too many days and were challenged on the number of days. It’s obvious that Ireland will have access to this data too. So entry exit checks and which part is EU or not is irrelevant as they simply access the travel data. So good luck trying this. I don’t think it will work.

Last edited: