Our valued sponsor

Question What should I do if I get small amounts of money a month in Spain?

Patronus

Jul 3, 2021
spain
Visit site
I write books and publish them on Amazon, and Amazon pays directly to my bank account. I do report these types of movements. I also receive money on Paypal from website testing/writing I don't publish on Amazon, and this I do not report.

Here's my problem: According to Spanish laws, if you get paid regularly, you should register as a freelancer and pay social security. I have looked into the workarounds but none apply to me because I am a student and I don't have another job. I currently cannot pay the fixed amount monthly which will increase to 300 euros a month eventually. I wouldn't "care" if I had to pay 25%, 50% of what I earn. However, I can't pay money to work for some side income. Technically, I cannot afford to be a freelancer, which is a stupid situation but that's how it is. I don't want to unpublish my books from Amazon nor do I plan to stop writing. I will move to another country when I finish my studies (in one to two years' time).

Is tax evasion the only way? From my research, I don't think PayPal is safe, and I could schedule some payments to a Payoneer account as I believe they don't report to authorities as of now (for the MasterCard). Is Payoneer a good idea?

You can only pray my friend.

Is tax evasion the only way?

No.

I wouldn't "care" if I had to pay 25%, 50% of what I earn.

No SS would work better for those with very low irregular self employed income.

Technically, I cannot afford to be a freelancer, which is a stupid situation but that's how it is

And this is why Spain is where it is today economically with poor policies :(.

Reactions: JackAlabama
They did put the 60 euros a month if it was your first year, but it does not help if you will be making <300 a month for a long time. I know part-time freelancers don't register, or maybe they have a regular job so it's not a problem. If I could write full-time, maybe it would be worth it, but freelancing in Spain if you don't earn much is a bad idea anyway. They don't even have writer as a job you can register as! It's lumped together with painters and sculptors.

It would be great if they go forward with the proposal in the article, then part-time freelances could stop worrying. I think I'll stop worrying and accept there's a possibility I could get in trouble. Thanks for listening to my ramblings.

Reactions: troubled soul
As far as I know, if you make less than the SMI (Minimum Wage) every year, you don't have to register as an "autonomo". The SMI as of right now is around 1100 Eur, so that'd be 13200 Eur per year. Why does this happen? Because the law that says "if you get paid regularly", doesn't state what regularly means and there are previous cases like this that have stated that "regularly" means making above the SMI, so if they ever send you to court (they won't), you'll easily be able to get away because it has happened before.

I have the same « problem » as you^^
I have a normal job and as hobby im buying digital games and resseling it... with a 15-30% marging
Except you are in spain and im in france...
Same as u i need to register as freelancer but if i do that i pay more taxe than profit...
For now im « safe » because we r not considered as professional seller if we earn less than 5000€/ year... but my mini shop increase very fast and i dont want to be in trouble