Our valued sponsor

what you think about migrating to Estonia

It gets very cold, very dark, and very windy in the winter. If you haven't spent a lot of time near the Arctic circle, it's going to be shocking to barely see the sun in the winter.

Culturally, Estonia is very similar to Finland and the rest of Scandinavia. People are friendly and polite, but reserved. You don't need to learn Estonian but it would certainly be helpful if you want to fully integrate into society.

Hiring people can be difficult other than bringing people from Latvia, Lithuania, and eastern Poland. And Russia, if you can secure the paperwork for hiring third nationals. It depends on what your company does exactly.

One drawback I've found is that its geographic position isn't ideal for travel. You will almost always have to fly via Riga, Stockholm, Helsinki, or one of the big German airports to get anywhere else in the world. If you travel a lot, this can end up beig a lot of time spent in airport lounges.

Quality of life is generally high. Costs of living are low to medium. Corruption and corruption are low. Law enforcement is reliable. The courts are reasonable. Government services are pretty much entirely electronic, which saves a lot of time on bureaucracy.

Reactions: WoWNull
It gets very cold, very dark, and very windy in the winter. If you haven't spent a lot of time near the Arctic circle, it's going to be shocking to barely see the sun in the winter.
well I am a person who lives entire life
for
0c till 55c hhhhhhhh so i am totally not with cold but this is can be solved and use to it anyhow.
as I saw from some weather report it`s from -10c till 25c so it`s reasonable not like Canada -40 =_=

Hiring people can be difficult other than bringing people from Latvia, Lithuania, and eastern Poland. And Russia, if you can secure the paperwork for hiring third nationals. It depends on what your company does exactly.
my main is IT Consultation and eCommerce, so I may have a virtual office there for the company till it gets big, and even though if I hire people it will be online ofc for manging the inventory etc..

One drawback I've found is that its geographic position isn't ideal for travel. You will almost always have to fly via Riga, Stockholm, Helsinki, or one of the big German airports to get anywhere else in the world. If you travel a lot, this can end up beig a lot of time spent in airport lounges.
hmmm well I don`t travel a lot, but from what i saw that Estonia already green so it may be good to invest the time and change mood withing these things.

I am planning to collect all the data I need before I prepare my self to go there, bcuz the paperwork and going there is also a challenge depends on my nationality which is banned from the fking entire world =_=

Also For the startup visa when I put my details its accepts me and asks to fill the form but I am not sure if this mean my personal details are ok to be checked or they just accept anyone and later they will check his nationality etc..

The other thing that makes me more in Estonia is its more on digital so as a Computer Engineer and IoT system support I feel they can accept me and even I can have some support from them if I need to invest in this field.

The main points, such as dark winters & limited travel options have already been mentioned.

Besides being reserved, people's mindsets can be a bit provincial. Also, if you are non-white, you might find there are more accepting places to live in. Nothing major, I suppose. Real estate isn't that cheap anymore, in many cases it is overpriced in relation to people's purchasing power.

Estonia is ahead in digital services, but it is not just that. They have done some really smart choices since regaining independency. Flat rate taxation, leapfrogging from Soviet technology into wireless & digital governance etc. I expect them to continue to be the smartest country in the region.

Some random pieces of info:
- in Tallinn, public transport (buses, trolley buses, trams) is free for residents
- if a taxi driver does not use a meter, refuses to give a receipt, or the reciept is faulty, you don't have to pay (it is the law). Uber and Bolt (local Uber) are available.
- if you have provided some needed certificate etc. to one government institution, another one can not demand it from you. This reduces bureaucracy (re: X-Road).
- private citizens can save into a non-taxed retirement account
- car leasing costs can be deducted in taxation, hence leasing is way more popular than buying a car

...my nationality which is banned from the fking entire world =_=
That leaves us only Iran, Cuba, and Venezuela. As you speak English and are educated, my guess is Iran.

Reactions: Almouk and WoWNull
Really appreciate the info, i was searching for flats most of prices are similar to what i have here in Dubai and near by places so i see its normal, so in general does 1k$ monthly can make you live and eat?

That leaves us only Iran, Cuba, and Venezuela. As you speak English and are educated, my guess is Iran.

Hhh no Iam from Iraq, i face alot of EMI and some other financial institute and registration services and they said you are from banned country.

Really appreciate the info, i was searching for flats most of prices are similar to what i have here in Dubai and near by places so i see its normal, so in general does 1k$ monthly can make you live and eat?

It depends on what kind of an apartment you require. You can rent 1-2 room place for less than 500 EUR/month in Tallinn, but it is not going to be fancy. A tiny place can be had for below 300€/month, but besides rent, there are other costs (heating, electricity etc.). I'd say 1000 USD (= 900 EUR) is doable if you are relatively frugal and don't get a car. Many locals live there and in many other European countries for much less. As you probably already know, the two main real estate websites in Estonia are City24 and KV.

The main difficulties might be with hiring people, as @Sols already mentioned. Even Estonian IT companies hire people from abroad.

Another wildcard suggestion: Bulgaria or Romania. Both have low company & personal taxation, cheap housing, relatively educated workforce.

If you get a residency in a EU country, opening a bank account will be easy. Nowadays many EU banks only allow EU residents as clients.

Reactions: Almouk
As you probably already know, the two main real estate websites in Estonia are City24 and KV.
ya this is from where i got the prices and calculated

Another wildcard suggestion: Bulgaria or Romania. Both have low company & personal taxation, cheap housing, relatively educated workforce.
noted.

i heard about company formation in bulgaria, the issue i am afraid off is the language, also what i understand is if i can get residence visa in any EU i can work and live in another EU country is that correct?

i heard about company formation in bulgaria, the issue i am afraid off is the language, also what i understand is if i can get residence visa in any EU i can work and live in another EU country is that correct?

With a residency visa of a EU country, you can stay in other EU country only for 90 days in a 180 day period. For a longer stay & working, you need to apply for a residency in that country. This is basically the rule for EU citizens as well.

English is spoken in most European countries, at least by younger people. In places like Cyprus many speak English like natives.

I suspect that even with an IT startup, your residency application could meet resistance. Estonia is not the easiest country in this regard. Other possibly suitable countries: Cyprus (EU), and Georgia, Serbia.

Reactions: Almouk and WoWNull
With a residency visa of a EU country, you can stay in other EU country only for 90 days in a 180 day period. For a longer stay & working, you need to apply for a residency in that country. This is basically the rule for EU citizens as well.
ah i see

I suspect that even with an IT startup, your residency application could meet resistance. Estonia is not the easiest country in this regard.

what about applying as business visa

Other possibly suitable countries: Cyprus (EU), and Georgia, Serbia.
not sure about cyprus will see and read about it for others they are not an EU so its not an option

thanks for your information

Latest Threads