Our valued sponsor

Where should I register a company selling SaaS worldwide?

Personally I would opt for an Irish entity with Irish management in place with the goal of setting up a small office and employing staff in Ireland. A business such as yours would do well with a good Irish based SEO team who can assist in expanding it exponentially.

One of our services is to offer structuring out of Ireland to our clients. Often Ireland is picked because the various entrepreneurs are from all over the EU, and the rest of the world and it is a good solid central location.

Often they start with a post box company and we then assist them to expand and develop the company. While management is in Ireland, shareholders can pretty much be anywhere and they would pay taxes on their income in their local jurisdictions. An Irish company can link to PayPal/Stripe and many other payment and banking solutions with little to no hassles.

You will be subjected to Irish tax as well as VAT once you pass a certain threshold.

Expect to spend at least 10,000 EUR per annum for the initial service and 35,000 EUR to manage the company and staff as the shareholders choose to expand the business.

In my experience, the problem with offshore entities is that what you save on taxes you ultimately spend on management and bureaucracy. So unless there is a specific reason for going offshore i.e. licensing, you would simply be better off staying local.

I have encountered my fair share of BTC based businesses where entrepreneurs find themselves with a decent sum of cash and with no way to spend it on the things they want (Cars, houses, etc) because they never thought about structuring their business in a manner which allows them to pay taxes and enjoy the fruits of their labour.

If you really want a solid structure then you need to think about:

trust A -> company B (tax efficient jurisdiction) -> company A (operation jurisdiction)

The flow of funds is from A to B to Trust. In your local jurisdiction you setup trust B which borrows from trust A in order to buy property/cars/assets etc.

At the end of the day, you will need to ask yourself, is it honestly worth the bureaucratic hell you are going to put yourself through in order to manage all of this when you can simply have:

Company A (in your home town), owned by you. You earn dividends, salary etc. which you pay taxes on. Hire a good accountant who will minimise this for you. Buy a property, equities, shares etc which you donate to your trust. And live your life with as little complications as possible.

In my experience, the problem with offshore entities is that what you save on taxes you ultimately spend on management and bureaucracy. So unless there is a specific reason for going offshore i.e. licensing, you would simply be better off staying local.
Thanks for detailed reply. The more I dig into the matter, it seems to me, that it might not be that difficult and costly after all: sole proprietor in my home country (EU) owning Delaware LLC and paying $300-$400 per year to Delaware IRS and that's all. Still trying to figure our what are my tax-reporting obligations to IRS, but the rest seems pretty solid, anonymous, safe, legal, and not double-taxed. Quite easily doable via Stripe Atlas ($500 incorporation fee). Too bad Stripe Atlas doesn't offer Wyoming/New Mexico incorporation, because they are cheaper, but I think I'll chose Delaware, just to stay withing Stripe Atlas process.

Hi @Sols What happen if your country consider the US LLC as a partnership (pass-through) ? You pay taxes on profit as "personal income" ? Dividend ?

Thanks
It varies but if it's treated as a partnership or other pass-through entity, you're typically not liable for any corporate income tax and only personal income tax (plus any social security contributions).

Thanks for detailed reply. The more I dig into the matter, it seems to me, that it might not be that difficult and costly after all: sole proprietor in my home country (EU) owning Delaware LLC and paying $300-$400 per year to Delaware IRS and that's all. Still trying to figure our what are my tax-reporting obligations to IRS, but the rest seems pretty solid, anonymous, safe, legal, and not double-taxed. Quite easily doable via Stripe Atlas ($500 incorporation fee). Too bad Stripe Atlas doesn't offer Wyoming/New Mexico incorporation, because they are cheaper, but I think I'll chose Delaware, just to stay withing Stripe Atlas process.
Make sure you run your structure by a local tax adviser. The setup you've discussed would not hold in most EU countries, at least not in the way it seems you wish it would.

What about Hong Kong or Singapore?
I run a SAAS company and use a Hong Kong LLC. 0 tax on all income derived outside of Hong Kong.
For anonymity you'd need to use a nominee director and shareholder could be a foundation or something.
Stripe and PayPal works, but setting up a bank account will be hard with a nominee director and shareholder.. I had my international payments blocked by HSBC for using nominee director / shareholder and trouble with Transferwise and Neat also, in the end I just switched everything back to my name and no problems.
Setting up the company is super easy, plenty of services for this.
You'd need yearly audits by a Hong Kong CPA and submit a profit tax return once a year to the Hong Kong tax department, which you can do yourself online.

Where are you based that CFC laws do not kick in? Or have you just flown under the radar "so far"? Because from what I understand this structure does not hold up (unless there are some very important details you haven't provided yet to explain how it is working

btw, stripe atlas doesn't support llc anymore for non residents, only corporations.
1605649208726.png

Are you sure?

I think this thread and the help you have received so far is a good example of how people underestimate themselves on here and overestimate "professionals".
Ironically I would still recommend talking with professionals but only to then make YOUR OWN educated opinion and choice. As I can safely say I've been very disappointed with the advice from so called professionals so far.

Also, if your country has CFC rules I haven't seen any that aren't thoroughly thought through, e.g. in relation to people trying to claim management is elsewhere etc. It just won't work.
If you control a company, have any influence etc, shares etc, then you will be applicable to your particular country's tax.
I would love to be corrected on this!

The only way to minimise this is to live in a country without CFC rules (or rules to similar effect). Which for people earning large amounts of money is well worth it. Not sure about your case sorry. Maybe still something worth doing. Most countries without CFC rules also have a low cost of living.

BUT what I don't understand is how the big corporations do it. They are registered in tax haven countries but they must have some way to mitigate the CFC as most of the famous owners of large companies live in countries with CFC rules. So I don't understand that. I guess it's the ability to afford hugely complex structures.

I think this thread and the help you have received so far is a good example of how people underestimate themselves on here and overestimate "professionals".
Ironically I would still recommend talking with professionals but only to then make YOUR OWN educated opinion and choice. As I can safely say I've been very disappointed with the advice from so called professionals so far.

Also, if your country has CFC rules I haven't seen any that aren't thoroughly thought through, e.g. in relation to people trying to claim management is elsewhere etc. It just won't work.
I tried contacting professionals. General behaviour I'm running into, is that the lure me into a setup they are familiar with and they are asking recurring money for servicing it. But why should I pay anyone on a recurring basis for accounting, if there is no monthly tax filling requirement in the US by LLC S-Corp and all I need to do is to have a list of sales transactions?

I tried contacting professionals. General behaviour I'm running into, is that the lure me into a setup they are familiar with and they are asking recurring money for servicing it. But why should I pay anyone on a recurring basis for accounting, if there is no monthly tax filling requirement in the US by LLC S-Corp and all I need to do is to have a list of sales transactions?
I think people mean professional legal and tax advice from the perspective of structure and set up rather than on going book keeping.

As for your US or any LLC etc unfortunately I don’t know anyway you aren’t affected by CFC (or similar) rules in that or any similar scenario. As far as I’m aware if the country you are a tax resident of has CFC rules then there isn’t much financial incentive to pursue an offshore company. Unless you are looking only for an anonymity basis to which certain countries can offer this. Hence why I’m (and others) moving to a different country with territorial tax system and no CFC or similar rules.
I would love to be proved wrong though.

Depends on where you live and how much capital we're talking about, but a trust or foundation setup might work in your case. Or use a family member instead and then solve a transfer of wealth between yourselves.

Speak with a local lawyer/adviser who understands the intricacies of your local laws.

That's not how it works, I'm afraid. If you form an offshore company, then that company is a taxable entity where you live. So you have to pay corporate income tax, plus all other taxes. No way around that.
I believe he wants to know if the llc would be taxed as a solo entrepreneur or as a company, in my country solo is about 50% tax while company is 25%
I thought EU wanted to make this more simpler and accessible but still a lot of work to do

interesting topic.
There are so many "laptop lifestyle" entrepreneurs from EU, also using LLC companies. I wonder how they set up??
I guess what looks like a good and cheap solution on paper can be completely different from reality and what local tax officials demand you to proof to them.
They aren't up to date on global, travel trade, its an old system in my opinion. too complicated!
I suppose most have no problem paying local taxes, but it's choosing from limited business structures that aren't appealing/too expensive for their business (compared to what is available in other countries)
When we want to opt in there, we get punished....

There are so many "laptop lifestyle" entrepreneurs from EU, also using LLC companies. I wonder how they set up??
The vast majority of them evade tax. Pure and simple.
Granted - some (most?) of them do it unknowingly, and a lot will fly under the radar forever (especially those whose income is insignificant). but that doesn't change the fact.

Reactions: challenge
Lol the dude MAYBE he's going to make 30k usd and you are suggesting trusts, holdings, hiring a manager and paying international accountants lol
Don't go to the big 4, they'll want all of those 30k just to set things up :D

You talk about conflict of interests... are you an employee building this saas as side project and don't want your employer know?
Am I right? Care to explain more about this?
Is that or is more serious? i.e. government/state stuff?

Reactions: user9823671

Latest Threads