Our valued sponsor

Where to relocate to not pay capital gains tax and live cheap

Taiwan and Malaysia also don't tax foreign income.
The devil is in the details regarding "don't tax foreign income". So if you have a foreign business, and run it via your laptop from country X that supposedly doesnt tax foreign income. Does it a) legally count as local income since you effectively manage the company from country X, even if you have no office or employees in country X. And b) even if it legally/technically counts as local income, is it enforced? Also c) can you make it count as foreign income by having employees/offices in some other country, or even just by having a residence permit or tax certificate somewhere else.

I'd like to see a list of all territorial tax countries, how things are in practice with regards to a) and b). Wonder if such list exist somewhere.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a list of all territorial tax countries, how things are in practice with regards to a) and b). Wonder if such list exist somewhere.

I'm looking for something similar since ages but it doesn't exist.

You can obtain a list of territorial taxation countries and their rules.

What you don't get, without direct experience, is how those rules are enforced and IF are enforced.

So for example Panama is a territorial taxation country and managing an offshore company from Panama theorically should count as local income but, from what i know, it is not enforced.

You need to know both theory and on the ground practice so we should rely on collective knowledge to compile such list.

Reactions: Revoltec
I'm looking for something similar since ages but it doesn't exist.

You can obtain a list of territorial taxation countries and their rules.

What you don't get, without direct experience, is how those rules are enforced and IF are enforced.

So for example Panama is a territorial taxation country and managing an offshore company from Panama theorically should count as local income but, from what i know, it is not enforced.

You need to know both theory and on the ground practice so we should rely on collective knowledge to compile such list.
The combined experiences of the people of this forum should go a long way in compiling such a list. A new thread to create such a list maybe?

n country and working remotely for a European company. Naively he went to the local tax office to declare his foreign income and the gu
Taiwan and Malaysia also don't tax foreign income. But yeah, a bit less fun. Though Langkawi isn't a bad option, if one wants to enjoy tax-free products in Malaysia, and being on a beautiful island just a few km from Thailand. Malaysian 90 days free visa is a good thing, though I am still trying to find a way for longer stay without MMSH or Labuan options. Coz without that, one can't even open a bank account anymore. And Taiwan.....having lived and worked there for a year - not really my thing. I'd take Lao over that, with the $500 business visa option, might retire in that sweet little Phongsali with that.
do you know how this 500 business visa works?

Just to write a one more idea to your original question.
Maybe paying a fair amount of capital gains tax is better than finding a place where you won't pay any (and then have to live in countries like Paraguay or Malaysia).

For example you could move to Croatia (beautiful coastline), similar/same language to Serbian and pay just 10% capital gains tax (still better than Serbia or Montenegro 15%, Slovenia 25% or Sweden 30%).
Another option is Bulgaria with also 10%, somewhat similar language, cheaper than Croatia, but not that good live style and their sea is a joke.

Last edited:
For example you could move to Croatia (beautiful coastline), similar/same language to Serbian and pay just 10% capital gains tax (still better than Serbia or Montenegro 15%, Slovenia 25% or Sweden 30%)
The last time I checked capital gains tax rate in Montenegro was 9%, but it was last year. When has it changed to 15%? This year?

do you know how this 500 business visa works?
You pay a travel agency in Vientiane $500, for that they'll get you the documentation (mostly the employment letter solution), one year business visa and work permit card.
You can use this also to open a bank account. Mind that inflation is running rampant in Laos now and apartments/cost of living are much higher than in Thailand or Cambodia,
and they have the funny custom of requesting a payment of rent for one year in advance. Some currency exchange restrictions now because of that weak kip as well.

You pay a travel agency in Vientiane $500, for that they'll get you the documentation (mostly the employment letter solution), one year business visa and work permit card.
You can use this also to open a bank account. Mind that inflation is running rampant in Laos now and apartments/cost of living are much higher than in Thailand or Cambodia,
and they have the funny custom of requesting a payment of rent for one year in advance. Some currency exchange restrictions now because of that weak kip as well.
very interesting thanks, you know why laos is overpriced right now? do you think cambodia or thailand is a better opportunity for doing such thing?
I basically have just a bit of cash and a lot of crypto and I would like to move in Asia