Our valued sponsor

Which country provide year long tax free Digital Nomad visa ?

Search first thu&¤#

Reactions: troubled soul
None. All digital nomad visas require you to pay taxes in your home country and don't offer tax residency.
BVI and Bahamas sell temporary 1 year residence permits for 1-2k per year on some conditions, then I believe you can become officially their tax resident.
Home country is not a well defined term*, and I doubt any digital nomad visa explicitly requires the holder to pay tax in a "home country".
However, if you are still in the tax net of a high tax country, then yes, you still have to pay tax to that country. But if you are not tax resident of any high tax country (and out of the tax net), having a digital nomad visa can be great. There are many digital nomad visas that dont impose any taxes on the holders even if they spend 1-2 years in the digital nomad visa issuing country.

*Country of citizenship, tax residence, residence and sometimes domicile are what matters, and these terms are typically legally defined, unlike "home country".

15 years ago I would laugh, but now they are in NATO and in accession negotiations with EU.
Why - what was it like 15 years ago? I only discovered Albania 9 years ago and it's going off as far as the fastest growing country in Europe. I just spent 3 months on the beach there in an apartment under $250 a month. Nice place to over-winter in Europe.

Americans have had 12 month visa's for a long time but last week the Albanian government extended that to many countries.

Why - what was it like 15 years ago? I only discovered Albania 9 years ago and it's going off as far as the fastest growing country in Europe. I just spent 3 months on the beach there in an apartment under $250 a month. Nice place to over-winter in Europe.

Americans have had 12 month visa's for a long time but last week the Albanian government extended that to many countries.
Let's just say in 2000s it wasn't a place where you would want to spend 3 months in a row.

To add language is difficult and not many locals speak English, so personally I wouldn't consider it as a country for relocation, but as you wrote nowadays it's a nice cheap place to spend cold winter months in warmth.

Last edited:
Reactions: mud
I was talking about so called tax free digital nomad visas. Certainly a local EU taxman will be happy to tax you there with a nomad visa (but they usually say that you are expected to pay taxes in your home country where you have permanent residence when you apply for a visa).

I was talking about so called tax free digital nomad visas. Certainly a local EU taxman will be happy to tax you there with a nomad visa (but they usually say that you are expected to pay taxes in your home country where you have permanent residence when you apply for a visa).
Yes, the EU taxman will be happy to tax you, but that's unrelated to the digital nomad visa. EU taxman will tax you if you are in their tax net, and rules vary from country to country. In some countries you can have a permanent residence, in others that would mean you are still in the tax net.

Some EU countries offer tax free nomad visas with a condition that you show proof of taxes paid in your home country.
All the countries that offer digital nomad visas including tax free islands don't allow you to become their tax resident, you are supposed to pay taxes in your home country, that's why I wrote that there are no tax free digital nomad visas.

Some EU countries offer tax free nomad visas with a condition that you show proof of taxes paid in your home country.
All the countries that offer digital nomad visas including tax free islands don't allow you to become their tax resident, you are supposed to pay taxes in your home country, that's why I wrote that there are no tax free digital nomad visas.
Got an example of such condition for a digital nomad visa of an EU country? Id like to look at the exact wording. Like if you have say dual Dutch-Mexican citizenship, but have lived in Panama the last three years - where do they want you to show proof of taxes paid?

And some digital nomad visas makes you a tax resident (like Spain or the UAE remote worker visa), some dont, but tax residency is just one piece of the puzzle of where one pays tax. One key thing is if one is in the tax net of a high tax country - then you usually pay tax there, digital nomad visa or not (unless the digital nomad visa country has a DTT with the high tax country).
If you arent in the tax net of a high tax country, then it depends on the digital nomad visa country - some tax you (again like Spain) and some dont.