Our valued sponsor

Wise blocked a transfer close my personal account, had the word "Russia" in the reference field

karishi

Pro Member
Jan 11, 2020
Visit site
Today I woke up hungover in Mykonos and read the following email by Wise:
Hello Nicola,

We don’t process transfers directly or indirectly connected to the Russian Federation.

We’ve cancelled and refunded the transfer #XXXXXX. We can restrict accounts if they go against our internal policies.
Having recently visited Russia for tourism with my girlfriend, I was worried someone had stolen my account: I had never made any transfer to Russia, or any linked entity.
Then after checking better, I discovered that the "transfer linked to the Russian Federation" was a 320 EUR transfer my girlfriend ( absolutely not Russian and from a EU account ) made to me to give me back money she owed me, unfortunately with written in the reference: "VACANZE RUSSIA". Wise decided that Russia in the reference meant it was related to Russia. Let's hope AI becomes good soon :D

Today I woke up hungover in Mykonos and read the following email by Wise:

Having recently visited Russia for tourism with my girlfriend, I was worried someone had stolen my account: I had never made any transfer to Russia, or any linked entity.
Then after checking better, I discovered that the "transfer linked to the Russian Federation" was a 320 EUR transfer my girlfriend ( absolutely not Russian and from a EU account ) made to me to give me back money she owed me, unfortunately with written in the reference: "VACANZE RUSSIA". Wise decided that Russia in the reference meant it was related to Russia. Let's hope AI becomes good soon :D
Never provide more information than needed.

Blocked my salary 3 times for 2 weeks every time, no reason given, also no reason given for unblocking it.

Since the rename and redesign, the woke took over and they will bury it.
What industry do you work in, how are the payments made to you (international?).

What country are you resident in?

The forum is lit with Wise problems
Hearing that expats in asia are being forced to re-verify their accounts or loose them also.

Reactions: jafo
Sorry but aren't they correct? The transaction is linked to Russia given that it's for a holiday you spent there. As so often with the issues here it's more you just being difficult and asking for issues rather than wise creating them. If you don't need your account there just close it and don't provoke problems such as the one you post here

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: backpacker and jafo
Hearing that expats in asia are being forced to re-verify their accounts or loose them also.
Can confirm that with regards to the Philippines. Re-verification is an easy process when you have permanent residency and a BIR tax ID.
Reason: They transferred all PH customers to their new venture "Wise Pilipinas Inc.".

However, it has become pretty uninteresting to use these guys: Too expensive, too complicated, too many limitations (new transactional limit: PHP 400'000.- or it's equivalent in foreign currency).

Last edited:
Reactions: jafo
I can't say that it surprise me that they responded like this. However, I would have imagine that a big company like Wise would contact their customer in such case to get clarification.