Our valued sponsor

Xapo bank doesn't accept EU and US?

PinkCat

Member Plus
Dec 20, 2022
EU
Visit site
Went today to register but they literally don't have a single EU country in the drop down list and not US (which is more common)
Does anybody know if they have plans to include EU or if it is possible to still open an account even if EU citizen?

Reactions: JohnLocke
I just went to their site to check if this could be true!

It looks like they want to avoid the EU and all their reporting stuff. I found Switzerland as one of the very few European countries they accept. All other countries are almost 3rd world countries like Western Sahara.

I just went to their site to check if this could be true!

It looks like they want to avoid the EU and all their reporting stuff. I found Switzerland as one of the very few European countries they accept. All other countries are almost 3rd world countries like Western Sahara.
yes they just replied to my email saying that they shifted their business and for the time being don't plan to offer EU

wondering if those from EU who applied while they could are still kept as customers, anyone here?

I am an Italian citizen and live in Italy, I opened an account with XAPO Bank and I have not had any problems. I have now made a transfer to this account and let's see how it behaves.
The assistance service is excellent and fast.
Can anyone else confirm they accept EU now?
Any announcement from them somewhere? This is big if true.

yeah but only for buying stocks, not banking?
I think all clients have access to banking. But at the moment Xapo doesn't have a US correspondent bank, so they can't accept USD, just EUR and GBP. However, all their fiat balances are in USD, so if you send in GBP or EUR they are automatically converted to USD (at fair market rates). So, it's a somewhat sub-optimal situation.

So far there are 2 draw backs
1. debit card is not yet available for my country
2. you can have only USD balance, so if you SEPA eur it is auto converted to USD and once you need to SEPA out it is converted back to EUR which is unnecessary and unefficient since you lose 2 times on the rate even if its interbank rate, you still lose, also USD is falling right now.
I'm not sure but I think they don't have SWIFT yet, so very cumbersome way to deal with SEPA and EUR because of the double exchange every time.
Not sure what use I have for them with this setup but will dig a lil further.

It's sad to see, I remember about 6 years ago you could just load your Visa or Mastercard with crypto. It was fully automatic. When you used the card in a machine or store, it would draw the funds at the current crypto rate on the card.

Reactions: jafo
It's not possible to see the list of eligible countries before submiting documents (well..of course). Maybe someone can upload the list ?
That would be a very good idea if someone would do that please.

Reactions: JosephLL