Our valued sponsor

Wise deactivated my account

I have been using Wise as our business account my Bulgarian EOOD for the last ~couple of years.

In the last 8 months they have blocked the account four times, without any specific reason, rather opaque. Problems started since I got a message saying my account was 'moving to Malaysia.' I am able to get through to telephone support, this time they say they need me to add my occupation to my profile, but there is no input field for this anywhere on the app or website. Calls and messages with unhelpful instructions ongoing for about 10 days now.

I think it's time to pull the plug, as having the business account blocked is very disruptive.

Any suggestions for alternatives? We make regular payments out of the EU, about 50k EUR coming in to the account per month.

EDIT: recent reviews on trustpilot suggest these problems are quite widespread (Wise is rated "Great" with 4.2 / 5 on Trustpilot)

I'm resident in Bulgaria, company is based in Bulgaria (a sole proprietorship), we make educational software, payments from users are handled through Paddle, Paddle make a single deposit every month, and some money goes out for invoices/expenses.
Will check these, thanks.

Where is your company based? You can try with Currenxie or Airwallex.

That’s what I currently use.
The reason that people immediatley go to Wise is because those banks you referred dont do adviertise or not pushing people to talk about them

I even knew them from this forum only

If you come to wise they do ADs everywhere and while they having a lot of problems and bad reviews still people thinks about them as first choice risking their money

Reactions: alister
Did you have business or personal account? What do you think was the reason for closure? High risk countries, AML, crypto...?
Forgot to include that information. It is a personal account. I cant remember if I have done any P2P crypto transactions, found out Wise doesn't like it recently. I did use VPN though recently and boosted ads on Facebook. During credit card payment the preselected country was set to US, even though I do not live in the US and I was too lazy to redo the process. Maybe that triggered something together with the VPN.

Reactions: zzzzzz
How much money did you have in your account ?

I have not seen as much complaints as for Wise here recently
In part, that's because Revolut does a better job at weeding out applicants at onboarding. Another reason is that Revolut has been increasing its risk appetite a bit lately as it's desperate to reach profitability.

They need profitability as one of many conditions to get their coveted UK banking license. Once they have that, expect a purge at Revolut in the future (1–2 years) as they realize all the semi-dodgy companies they have onboarded need to be removed.

Waiting for the final verfication from airwallex.

I'm seeing a good number of ppl complaining that airwallex blocked/closed their account recently: Airwallex is rated "Average" with 3.3 / 5 on Trustpilot

The blocks from Wise are very disruptive. Is there a 'higher-tier' kind of EMI when you have 1M+ year moving through the account? We don't yet, but maybe next year.

Is it worth looking at regular banks in Bulgaria, like DSK (Hungarian OTP) etc., or somewhere else?

Latest Threads