Our valued sponsor

2024: The End of Portugal's NHR Scheme - Discuss the Implications and Alternatives?

Why? They said that those that have NHR will enjoy their status for 10 years from the date of joining.
Indeed. Just saw that part of the announcement. But it looks like they are really cracking down on anything that made portugal attractive. I wish them well. The regular taxes in Portugal are atrocious.

Uruguay has a similar regime.

Uruguay doesn't tax foreign income but does tax foreign investments. New residents get a 10 year tax holiday that exempts them from any taxes on their foreign investments: Tax in Uruguay | HTJ Tax.

I've been considering it myself, but the country itself doesn't fully convince me. It's expensive and seems a little dull. Being next to more exciting countries such as Argentina or Brazil is a plus though.

Well, that was the only reason someone would pick Portugal over Spain (except the guys from Brazil of course).
Now you have Cyprus, Ireland, Malta for non-dom and to some extend Italy as a low-tax option in EU unless you can afford Monaco or willing to live in a micro-state.

I would give Portugal a wide berth after this announcement if your planning to move there.

Don't worry the same people complaining about inflated housing market could soon be complaining about a deflated housing market in some years time smi(&%.

Reactions: wellington
This source says the PM said it would end AFTER 2024. DOes this mean if we move and get it set up prior to the end of 2024, we should be grandfathered in?

Wait for official written statement from government or get a legal opinion from a local lawyer. If your thinking of taking the risk now then get whatever they tell you in writing.

Reactions: WorldCitizen99