Our valued sponsor

A freelancing platform that issues invoices in its name?

There is a few options:

Bitwage.com
Rimuut.com
Xolo.io
Winglio.com

I have tried all above and they all work.
I can recommend looking at Bitwage, which we have freelancers using now, as there is option for 0% fee and paid in crypto (but also bank transfer)

I think that would mess up their accounting, would force them to charge VAT from such transaction. Or add liability to their legal entity. Never seen such platform
That's also what I would think. But it seems that many are using this platform already and don't face any troubles?

Thanks for the replies. The problem with these platforms is that the decision to use them is on the freelancer’s side, they’re “virtual” companies. If my freelancer already has an entity in his place if residency, I can’t tell him to forget it and use this “virtual” company service to do business with me.

Ideally I’d need something that acts like Amazon FBA but for services where I deal only with one company, and without applying VAT.

I asked around and I found one site that acts like that, the only problem is that it’s not for software development, but writing and content creation.

freelancer.com issues invoices in its own name for deposits but for milestones issues invoices in the freelancer’s name. Almost there, but not completely. I don’t think I’ll be able to claim deposit as an expense, when they even make it possible to return the money so it’s essentially just like a bank account.

Everyone else I’ve asked issues invoices in the freelancer’s name, only fees in its own name.

The reason why I need this is that from time to time I will be the freelancer on the other side with a sole proprietorship formed in another country. I’m not sure how that would be received by the tax authorities, so to be on the safe side I don’t want them to see the final service provider.

The advantage is that you get a setup for max 10£ and close the company should someone ask question about the company. You can invoice your customers as you like and don't care about to charge VAT, no one will ever care as long as you don't live in the UK.

You can do the same with a Cyprus company, but the costs are higher.

The advantage is that you get a setup for max 10£ and close the company should someone ask question about the company. You can invoice your customers as you like and don't care about to charge VAT, no one will ever care as long as you don't live in the UK.

You can do the same with a Cyprus company, but the costs are higher.
Wait a second.. If you dont live in UK your UK LTD can avoid charging VAT for B2C services? That's crazy

it is and not legal, just so you know!
I have UK LTD offering B2C services to EU residents and I'm below VAT threshold for now.
My company accountant told me that I won't be able to register for VAT in UK because operations don't happen in the country. They said they gonna do research on this topic to see if I ever have to register for VAT given I'm not residing in UK

How do you know its not legal?

If you perform the business elsewhere and manage it elsewhere too, that country can and will demand the portion of profit attributable to that country to be taxed there according to the double tax treaty, so in effect it will be taxable entirely there. Moreover usually you have an obligation to declare its operations on the territory of that country, a failure to do so leads to a penalty. So all benefits of your UK company will disappear, you will only make matters more complicated.

Sure, you can hide, but I need to be able to declare an income in that country, so I really can’t not reveal the UK company.

Also the idea that you just dissolve the company in case someone has questions and everything will be solved seems very naive. There are records and there’s cooperation between countries.

When you register to Rimuut and create your first invoice, we legally become your digital service reseller, buying the service you provided, and reselling it to your client. This way, Rimuut, you and your client become “Reseller”, “Subcontractor” and “Buyer” in that order.

That's pretty cool, looks like that's exactly what I'm looking for.
So essentially I'd have my company sign a contract with Rimuut, and Rimuut will sign a contract with my sole proprietorship. The company will receive invoices from Rimuut, the sole proprietorship won't be mentioned anywhere. Equally the sole proprietorship will receive payments from Rimuut, and the company won't be mentioned on that side either. Rimuut will take its cut for being an intermediary, and tax authorities in either of those 2 countries won't know about each other.

Reactions: joffreylol