Our valued sponsor

Any non-US resident opened an account with Charles Schwab?

bibing

May 7, 2017
Visit site
As per title. I see they have a great brokerage account and they offer a debit card with many benefits (no withdrawal fees).

What kind of documents they ask for?

Can you state you are resident in a non-CRS country? What proof they will need for that?

You can use it as a normal account.
I just checked and it seems that for non-US residents they only open the brokerage account, not own bank account associated. That combo offer is only for us residents.
The brokerage account for int'l customers must be funded through a pooled account in the name of Charles Schwab

Actually after I posted I checked and they don't open an account either for my citizenship country and for my residential country. That's annoying.
I don't know about Charles Schwab, but it often works to open an account in an allowable country, and then tell them you have moved to a non-allowable country.

Also if you have multiple home bases, or at least places where you have access to utility bills, and multiple citizenships, there is usually at least one that will work.

I just checked and it seems that for non-US residents they only open the brokerage account, not own bank account associated. That combo offer is only for us residents.
The brokerage account for int'l customers must be funded through a pooled account in the name of Charles Schwab
You can use the brokerage account as a bank account, when you request the cheque book you are given a unique account number for deposits and ACH direct debit.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrau
Maybe we could open one with an ITIN?

It seems you can get the Visa debit card if you open an offshore account through Charles Schwab International

"Charles Schwab (International)
More services e.g. free checks, free visa debit card & free atm withdrawal"

I was told you can open a Schwab International account without giving a TIN. Use your passport number. The US is not part of CRA. Do they send tax info to ones home country, Canada?
Did you ever tried it or where did you get this information from ?

I don't know about Charles Schwab, but it often works to open an account in an allowable country, and then tell them you have moved to a non-allowable country.
This could indeed work. Someone had success to open an account with Charels Schwab this way?

Why you are all interested in this Charles Schwab ?
It was once on some digital nomad blog:

The main reason to open is that they refund third-party withdrawal fees. You probably save $30 per year, depending on where you live. There are a few countries which do not have free ATMs. But in most countries, there are, you can just use those and save yourself the waste of time of 3 hours per year for maintaining an extra account.

Latest Threads