Our valued sponsor

Attention Online Business!!! 75% of Online businesses have been hit by cyber attacks

clemens

Corporate Services
Mentor Group Lifetime
Jan 2, 2009
Spain
Visit site
The below are some scare figures, I believe not many are really aware of the security problems they have with their servers, websites and scripts most webmasters "just upload" and forget about.

Installing and updating the severs with the latest security patches and software updates are crucial essential to survive this attacks even you do that you can still not rest 100% in piece to believe you are fine.

For some time ago I read a thread which was started about how secure cPanel is, as I don't know how many million servers have cPanel installed I don't know how many unsecured servers there are, one thing is sure have this server management software installed on your servers will left huge holes open for hackers to attack, the company behind cPanel don't even trouble to give any comments to this they don't care and spend their time counting the many millions they get in each day for the Microdefect software they sell.

Now I wonder how can you secure your server and still have some easy management of your servers? Any input to this would be much appreciated.

I hate doing the math when it comes to data protection, not least because the end user security sums just don’t add up more often than not. Case in point would be a survey regarding data theft and email usage from InvisiViewmedia which has just landed on my desk. This claims that 98 percent of employees think it is “vital to protect confidential information” yet at the same time reveals that a worrying 30 percent quite happily send that confidential information unsecured in the body of an email or as an unencrypted attachment.
If those sums make you barf, wait until you get a load of this. This same survey also asked if people were worried that their sensitive and confidential data might get into the wrong hands. Now given that we live in a fairly data security-aware world these days, courtesy of so many high profile cock-ups making the mainstream news broadcasts and newspapers, you might think that the numbers would be high in favour of those who were really concerned about the prospect. But, alas, no. The math shows that 46 percent did sorry but thought there really was no alternative, and 25 percent claimed that the “risk of a security threat is too small” to even worry about. But wait, here’s the really screwed up bit: 13 percent were actually quite willing to take the risk of loss.

Jan Gunner, a director at InvisiViewmedia comments “Considering how clued-up most businesses are today when it comes to the very real threat of data interception, it is quite alarming to discover quite a complacent attitude in terms of securing confidential information. More interesting is the belief that there is no alternative to sending such data securely and this is something we are very keen to educate businesses on”.
source: IT PRO: Blogs: Davey Winder: Data protection? Just do the math

I find it difficult to say that this is all about cPanel, it is the host that have to make sure your servers are secure further to the companies selling the scripts you may / may not use.

If you have installed free scripts like OScommerce, ZenCart etc, you will want to install the latest security and bug fixes to ensure not to have any security and vulnarbilities...

Have been working together with a Payment Service provider who had cPanel installed, they didn't passed the PCI scan it costed thousands of dollars to get compliant, they end up to uninstall it to get compliant... this was a compliance test for PCI DSS level 1 !

Oh, I forgot, not I read the above on an IT expert forum, why do you think there are so many unsecured servers around, 1. the hosting centres really don't care about your servers, some do but not the majority 2. they load it with defect software even though they know it is unsecure to use, why they do that, because it sells licenses....

Hi folks, come down, thank you for sharing this interesting reading from Symantec and IT Pro, but I believe it is up to each sys admin to make sure the security on the servers are granted...

I'm not sure if this at all has something to do with cPanel, however will do my own little research to comment later.

Well, this is an impressive figure, 75% of all online businesses, why don't people care more about this and why don't the hosting companies around don't care? That should be the discussion here, I don't care about cPanel or whatever people install, you should focus on how you mangage your own business and if you have, how you are securing your servers.

It worries me to read that it is 75% of all internet based businesses which got hacked or had serious security holes in their systems, how can one be sure not to be the next victim of a hacker attack or any other cyber crime against servers and websites?

Latest Threads