Our valued sponsor

Bahrain residency, certificate of residency, compliance

hortm

Apr 23, 2023
UAE
Visit site
Page on OECD says

>>>
There is no general taxation on the personal income of individuals or corporations and nowithholding taxes, and no estate or gift taxes in Bahrain. However, the Bahrain Competent Authority(BCA) page of the Ministry of Finance and National Economy website sets out Certificate ofResidence (COR) Guidelines which are used by the BCA to assess COR requests.
>>>

While same page on UAE DOES NOT mention their tax residency certificate (However page is still from 2017).

Questions -
Do you think compliance's of Swiss Banks shall start using this COR related sentences to research residency further or it is irrelevant to CRS compliance?
I know I asked similar question before, but this time is different because I have found this page. The question is more - Do banks use this page specifically as guidance for checking?

My client shall become resident of Bahrain (Gold Visa), but he will not be spending 183 days a year necessary for COR. He is Planning to stay about 100 days in a year and less in another countries while having center of vital interests in Bahrain.

Do you think compliance's of Swiss Banks shall start using this COR related sentences to research residency further or it is irrelevant to CRS compliance?
Just as in your other thread: if the bank for some reason decides it needs clarity on the person's tax residence, they may very well end up requesting a COR. In many cases, banks are content just seeing a tax return. But where tax returns aren't available or aren't reliable, a certificate of tax residence or nearest equivalent may be sought.

I know I asked similar question before, but this time is different because I have found this page. The question is more - Do banks use this page specifically as guidance for checking?
Yes, banks use information provided by OECD. OECD invented CRS.

You can't be a tax resident of a place that doesn't levy income tax.
Yes, you can.

My client shall become resident of Bahrain (Gold Visa), but he will not be spending 183 days a year necessary for COR. He is Planning to stay about 100 days in a year and less in another countries while having center of vital interests in Bahrain.

Typically you can still receive a certificate in such cases if you can show it's your center of vital interests, but I don't know how Bahrain handles this. For example, UAE previously had an official 183 days rule for tax residency certificates, but many people got it easily, even though they were spending less time in the UAE. If you want a proper answer, you should contact the authorities in Bahrain.

Latest Threads