Our valued sponsor

[banks] How CRS reports get ajusted when I change my address or phone numbers?

Waldo Roni

Mar 9, 2021
Somewhere
Visit site
Let's say, a year ago I opened a bank account with a sim-card of country A, and this year I want to change my number to a siim-card of country B. Both countries may have nothing to do with my citizenship or residency, it just happens that I use sim-cards or virtual numbers of those countries because they're convenient, but I don't live there.

How will a bank ajust its CRS reports about me after I request to update my phone number? Will it stop reporting to country A?

In general, is it better to buy a local sim-card for the purpose of opening an account only, in order to avoid bringing up more countries, as indicia, that a bank may want to report to?

And the same question for changing my country/address. Not country of citizenship/passport, but a country with "current address". In some banks one can update the "current address" without having to provide a proof such a utility bill. And even a proof isn't a big problem because I could buy it from someone.

All in all, will a bank stop reporting to the countries of a) previous phone number b) previous address?

Last edited:
A phone of country is a pointer to a bank that I might be tied to a said country. Therefore, why not report me there too?

What does "even CRS reports to country A, you can use numbers..." --> you've missed a word? it's grammatically incorrect and makes no sense.

It's not about what I number *can use*. As if CRS reports would make phone number of country A unusable.

Re-read my question please.

@Waldo Roni, you come here to ask a question, I gave you the answer (because I know this answer). If you think you know better, why are you asking? ;)

A phone of country is a pointer to a bank that I might be tied to a said country. Therefore, why not report me there too?

This just does not have any logic. They can not report to a phone number. I would suggest you read a little more about how actually CRS works.

P.S. yes, the phone number from a different country might trigger the compliance, they will most likely ask for the proof of residence, but in any case, they will report to a country where your tax residency actually is, not to a country of a phone number.

I should read or rather you should read?

Funnily enough I received an auto-generated message from a bank that for the last year they will be reporting me to four countries - two countries because I used a phone number from those two countries, one country because I used an address in that country, plus as a bonus to the USA (even though I'm not a citizen, resident or anything else there). They will not be reporting me to my country of citizenship for some reason...

Reactions: Gediminas

Latest Threads