Our valued sponsor

Best countries for immigration = asthma friendly, good schools, crypto friendly, good healthcare?

MFNL

Oct 25, 2021
Europe
Visit site
Hi everyone.

Suppose someone from the Netherlands (Dutch passport & Dutch company owner) has a family with severe asthma (wife & kids), modest passive income from affiliate marketing (can work anywhere in the world) & a modest crypto stack (not enough to cashout/retire, but hopefully in the next bullrun in a couple of years we might get there). Currently no capital gains tax on crypto in the Netherlands. Corporate tax lowest bracket = 15%.

The Netherlands is a great country, but for this person's family, having asthma has a detrimental affect on everyday life (every couple of weeks hospitalization...).

The doctor suggested moving to a country with a higher altitude & near to the sea would benefit this family's lungs & quaility of life - a lot.

Which countries would offer a good combination of having an 'asthma' friendly climate, good schools, crypto friendly banks (to continue buying crypto and cashout in the future) & good healthcare?

Some thoughts:

- Dubai: bad for asthma (sand, dust, pollution), decent international schools, banks = crypto friendly (if you work with Fred :) ). Healthcare = ok.
- Switzerland: good for asthma (high altitude, low pullution), good international schools, 50/50 crypto friendly (some banks). Healthcare = very good.
- Portugal: good for asthma, decent international schools, crypto friendly = mixed bag (they announced taxation). Healthcare = ok.
- Spain: good for asthma, good international schools, not crypto friendly. Healthcare = ok.
- Cayman Islands: too expensive for now...
- ...any other ideas??

I've seen Cyprus and Malta popping up in other threads, with varied opinions. Would they meet these particular requirements? Of do you have other suggestions?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.thu&¤#

Some thoughts:
- Dubai: bad for asthma (sand, dust, pollution), decent international schools, banks = crypto friendly (if you work with Fred :) ). Healthcare = ok.
- Switzerland: good for asthma (high altitude, low pullution), good international schools, 50/50 crypto friendly (some banks). Healthcare = very good.
- Portugal: good for asthma, decent international schools, crypto friendly = mixed bag (they announced taxation). Healthcare = ok.
- Spain: good for asthma, good international schools, not crypto friendly. Healthcare = ok.
- Cayman Islands: too expensive for now...
Dubai/UAE banks are not crypto friendly. Some of the banks are just so crypto oblivious that they don't yet realize what's going on.

Portugal could work for you, if your income is truly passive. With an increase in wealthy expats moving there (many of which are elderly), healthcare is likely to improve.

Spain is terrible from a tax perspective.

- ...any other ideas??
Ireland is worth a look. Not much high altitude but plenty of nature and coast. Local education is generally good. When it's time for university, you can send your kids to London and still have them relatively closeby.

I've seen Cyprus and Malta popping up in other threads, with varied opinions. Would they meet these particular requirements? Of do you have other suggestions?
Both are worth looking into. Avoid the city centers if you need clean air. They are both of course close to the ocean, and Cyprus has some mountainous regions if you need altitude.

Education in general is good in both, and there are private schools where your children would meet with other expats' children in an international environment. Healthcare is OK but pales in comparison to Switzerland. Most of the world does, though.

You seem to (rightfully) focus heavily on health. If the combination of medium tax pressure and costs of living in Switzerland are tolerable for you, that might be your best option. Otherwise, I'd make the shortlist Ireland, Portugal, Cyprus, and Malta and research them thoroughly. Go visit.

As a Dutch citizen, you have the option of moving to Curaçao, Aruba, St Maarten, and the other countries of the Dutch Kingdom in the Caribbean, with different requirements. Healthcare tends to be rather lackluster (for more serious procedures). You can supplement living there with an international health insurance that includes treatment in the US and/or repatriation to the Netherlands. I'm not familiar with whether those islands are good or bad for asthmatics, though.

. I'm not familiar with whether those islands are good or bad for asthmatics, though.
the sea air is definitely very good for asthmatics. In the old times, people suffering respiratory diseases were sent to sanatoriums purposely built on the coast.
Not medical advice, but I can say from my own experience that I am healthier on the sea than on the mountains. I am sensitive to any kind of air pollution including small things like synthetic wallpaper or detergents.

My concern with those islands is pollution from traffic and from airplanes landing and taking off very close overhead. That might be a problem for an asthmatic.
True if you live close to an airport or a major road. For example, the air on the Santo Domingo Malecon is terrible, but if you move just 50 km East or west you find a different world.
On small islands, most of the traffic is island hoppers (turboprops-piston planes), if you stay a couple of km from the airport they will not bother you. Also you can check the landing path and consider that the wind is usually coming from NE, so staying east of the airport is better.

Reactions: RealDude