Our valued sponsor

Best country for a freelancer / digital nomad post-covid

Personally I would look into Cyprus, Switzerland and even the UK as foreign resident, you will check with a tax advisor in the UK if the laws are still the same, the last time I checked you get 7 years tax freedom in the UK if you don't do business there but offshore.
Switzerland is o.k. if you can stomach the high cost of living. However, if you then add to it wealth taxation + the -no longer low- income taxes (applicable to e.g. dividends/interest) you will probably think twice if it's the right place to be.
Notable exception: You are a foreign national UHNWI, therefore eligible to inquire for lump sum taxation and willing to move to one of the few cantons who still offer it. However, such a person could also just move to Italy and use the new "neo-domiciled tax regime" which might be easier compared to all the hurdles of a lump sum tax deal in Switzerland.

@Bagpacker is right.
Switzerland is a tax haven only if you make enough (UHNWI) for the lump sum taxation.
Or if you are from the neighboring countries and by just moving there you'll free yourself from your tax agency while living close to home, and you'll also get more efficient services off your taxes.
But surely it's not tax haven.
You can end up paying from ~10% to ~25 of income taxes depending on the canton. Then you have to pay social security, private pension and healthcare off your net salary.
Then insurances, TV fee and many small things here and there (like the church, dog tax, import taxes-no amazon, wealth tax, stamp duties etc)
Add it to an expensive life, housing nearly impossible to buy, rents super expensive and overrated, very expensive (average) food, up to 60chf for 1kg of meat!!!
And also not forget that's also as close as a police state as it gets, in good and bad. Yes it's safe, but since nothing happens citizens will report you to police/authorities if you do something wrong, like a criminal in other countries. You know, poorly tied recycled paper and stuff like that.
Also you'll be taxed on your worldwide income. It is true that many don't declare it or find ways to hide it. But on paper you should declare all your worldwide earnings.

I hate Dubai, but on 150k/y I'd choose it any day over Switzerland.
150k/y in Bulgaria/Romania you can rent a palace, employ people and have enough money left to have your personal Monica Lewinsky under your desk all day long... while paying ~3-10% tax max.
Meanwhile in Switzerland you'd be lower class... In Zurich/Zug you would be borderline poor! just saying! smi(&%

I wish you luck. I would love to have your optimism.
Oh, I'm very well aware what the alternative is...

If the globalist forces win it all here too its done for, even if it takes a few years to gain full control.

The informal economy combined with traditional ways of "fixing" thing makes it for an unruly country on a local level at least!

I had similar situation ( freelancer, moving out of Finland ) and after going through all available options I chose Romania. 6-8% tax is great for freelancer. You also get nice weather, great internet, cheap prices, in Europe (flights), EU VAT etc. No 6 months requirement to be a tax resident. Definitely recommend.
Take your time picking a lawyer though. My LLC creation was around 2k, but you can make it for 500eur with proper research.
Where did you read 6-8%? I know it is 10%

True! And it does not even matter because the guy who runs away would anyway not be able to pay for the damage he has caused.
Note: A savvy foreigner never drives himself in his own vehicle in a developing country!
How would you go around in the Philippines then? Unless you live in Metro Manila or Metro Cebu, you won't have car service and will rely on taxis which are notoriously overcharging and drivers often violent.
Hiring a driver sounds great but unless you want a full-time employee for yourself, it's not sensible. Prices have also gone up and you won't get anyone below $500 per month.

True! Their mistake: They behave like being in Europe or the US. People who love regulations should stay in over regulated (i.e. lawful) countries.
It's not black and white, there's gray zones. You can have some lax regulation while still having reasonable civility, Cyprus comes to mind.

However, you will be hard pressed to find a country on the development level (and in the price category) of the Philippines with the same clear structure of law and tax code together with a preferential tax system.
I agree on the latter but not regarding to development. I'm curious how long you lived on the islands and what cities. I've spent 7+ years on Luzon in many different cities, bigger and smaller. The country with a few exceptions is poorly developed. Most cities and towns are just starting to see why sidewalks are a necessity. Never mind anything more advanced.
If you expect close to nothing and are happy in flip-flops, mud and some beer then absolutely, Philippines is the place to be.

Reactions: Eldorado
How would you go around in the Philippines then?
Metro Manila: A combination of Jeepney, LRT and MRT. Works great for me. When it's raining or I am too lazy I spend a bit more and take a taxi (either flagging it down or through a ride hailing app). The question of overcharging is easily solved: Once you enter the taxi, tell the driver to KINDLY TURN ON THE METER. Usually he will do it without discussion except you board at the Shangri-La or similar upmarket venues. If he refuses, just open the door when he stops and walk away. The next taxi is just behind and happy to transport you.
drivers often violent
I do not recall any such situation.
It's not black and white, there's gray zones. You can have some lax regulation while still having reasonable civility, Cyprus comes to mind.
Even though I agree that it is not all black & white, I would not put Cyprus in a "gray zone". To me Cyprus is a highly developed nation with tough regulations. "Gray zone" would be Malaysia, Turkey and perhaps Bulgaria.
I'm curious how long you lived on the islands and what cities.
Cagayan Valley for 12 years. During a time when neither Robinson nor SM where present up there. Not once did I use the plane from Manila to the North because back then it was too unreliable and overpriced. However, I was a good customer of Victory Liner and Florida Liner. It worked fine for me - I like bus travel. And for longer journeys southbound of Manila I relied on the good old SuperFerry (today Negros Navigation 2GO)
The country with a few exceptions is poorly developed.
You have to compare like with like. Then the Philippines shines. Do not make the mistake to compare the Philippines with Thailand which is on a completely different level of development. The Philippines is much more like Cambodia or Vietnam.
If you expect close to nothing and are happy in flip-flops, mud and some beer then absolutely, Philippines is the place to be.
Mud can be bothersome, Flip-Flops are ugly and I do not drink alcohol. Indeed, I expect close to nothing and lived there happily.

Our lifestyle is obviously totally different. That is perfectly fine. However, you have to understand that life in a 3rd-World-Country (the term is politically incorrect) comes with constraints.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangekangaroo
Metro Manila: A combination of Jeepney, LRT and MRT. Works great for me. When it's raining or I am too lazy I spend a bit more and take a taxi (either flagging it down or through a ride hailing app). The question of overcharging is easily solved: Once you enter the taxi, tell the driver to KINDLY TURN ON THE METER. Usually he will do it without discussion except you board at the Shangri-La or similar upmarket venues. If he refuses, just open the door when he stops and walk away. The next taxi is just behind and happy to transport you.
You're braver than me. Even though I've used both for years, they're beyond ridiculous. Jeepneys you will get a full dose of MM pollution, short-term meaning headaches and long-term lung cancer.
Sounds like you have not experienced rigged meters or drivers who demand extra payments. One time I flat out refused and walked out but it was not a pleasant experience and danger was imminent.
MRT/LRT breaks down every week and people just walk on the rails to go home, sad sight.

Cagayan Valley for 12 years. During a time when neither Robinson nor SM where present up there. Not once did I use the plane from Manila to the North because back then it was too unreliable and overpriced. However, I was a good customer of Victory Liner and Florida Liner. It worked fine for me - I like bus travel. And for longer journeys southbound of Manila I relied on the good old SuperFerry (today Negros Navigation 2GO)

Perhaps back then it was different. I'm also in the northern mountains and people are highly dishonest and arrogant nowadays. They seem to think they're the Riviera of the world (when Riviera stood for something).

Mud can be bothersome, Flip-Flops are ugly and I do not drink alcohol. Indeed, I expect close to nothing and lived there happily.

Our lifestyle is obviously totally different. That is perfectly fine. However, you have to understand that life in a 3rd-World-Country (the term is politically incorrect) comes with constraints.

To each their own. I've been trying to be open minded but I cannot go without any standards, even if I have the lowest of expectations.

Reactions: uplana
Sounds like you have not experienced rigged meters
One time - and that was with one of the highly praised airport taxis. It got solved and was the ;last time I took that yellow thing. With the white taxis I never experienced any noteworthy trouble.
MRT/LRT breaks down every week and people just walk on the rails to go home, sad sight.
That is a relatively new phenomenon and started around 2015 when it became clear that nobody ever invested in proper maintenance, specifically of the MRT. They received the Czech (!) railcars in 1999 together with the opening of the MRT and did not do anything on them for more than 20 years. It's miracle that these Czech cars still run, even though completely worn out.

Perhaps back then it was different. I'm also in the northern mountains and people are highly dishonest and arrogant nowadays. They seem to think they're the Riviera of the world (when Riviera stood for something).
Sadly, I agree. Things have changed since the opening of SM City in Cauayan. It is still livable but when I am there on a visit I prefer to stay on the farm together with my friends. That is a small Barrio and nothing has changed over the years.

Reactions: uplana
Since no foreigner can officially own more than 40% of a business in the Philippines, I don't see how that's possible. You can go through lists of successful Filipino businessmen and there are almost no foreigners present. With a foreign heritage, absolutely. I've witnessed how locals with a great understanding of the landscape are regularly cheated by employees, it's definitely not about "cultural understanding".
A foreigner can own an export business 100%.

PM when you get to Paraguay if you need something
Hey jirapy can you help with the lawyer in Paraguay??

Sadly, I agree. Things have changed since the opening of SM City in Cauayan. It is still livable but when I am there on a visit I prefer to stay on the farm together with my friends. That is a small Barrio and nothing has changed over the years.
Hey Backpacker is the farm available for living?Is the internet good in the farm??

Hey Backpacker is the farm available for living?Is the internet good in the farm??
@fortunespeculator
Internet is perfect. We even use IP TV which, in the Philippine province, is not the norm. We use a private provider that charges a flat rate of PHP 1'000.- per month which is considered to be relatively cheap. Options like PLDT, which offer a better product, are available for about double the price.

The farm is available for living. You can either build your own house on available land or invest into the farm to bring it up and in return do what you want. Or you become a (part-time) farmer and participate in what the fam produces. There are many options - it depends on what you want & need.

@fortunespeculator
Internet is perfect. We even use IP TV which, in the Philippine province, is not the norm. We use a private provider that charges a flat rate of PHP 1'000.- per month which is considered to be relatively cheap. Options like PLDT, which offer a better product, are available for about double the price.

The farm is available for living. You can either build your own house on available land or invest into the farm to bring it up and in return do what you want. Or you become a (part-time) farmer and participate in what the fam produces. There are Many options.
Can you DM me so that i can know more on this?