Our valued sponsor

Best residency option with $100,000?

lopez007

Jan 1, 2021
Visit site
I recently sold my house and I have some money to spend. What would be your preferred choice with this amount, $100,000?
I am more keen to an idea such as buying a property and getting a temporary residence at least.

Nobody can provide any good info here due to such vagueness.

Where are you from? Where do you live?

Where do you want to move to geographically? Or do you want something with no real stay requirement?

If I give more details, I am currently residing in Netherlands with 2 year left residency (I don't have any intention to extend it). I am from Turkey but can't go there for various reasons. I am just casually looking, it is better if it's south or central america.

100k is low for residency. Usually its 350k+ But you can buy a thai elite visa for like 20k and get 5 years residency with option to renew.
Yes unfortunately. But I wanted to ask here if someone now a. cheaper option buy any chance.

If I give more details, I am currently residing in Netherlands with 2 year left residency (I don't have any intention to extend it). I am from Turkey but can't go there for various reasons. I am just casually looking, it is better if it's south or central america.

Yes unfortunately. But I wanted to ask here if someone now a. cheaper option buy any chance.
Paraguay.
You need 5000 usd for the residency and put this in a local bank. The place is also pretty cheap. You will get this 5k back, so the only cost are the local lawyers.

It will not be an easy road for that amount of money left (95k) but it is def doable with this amount if you are only halfway smart about it.
Ideally would be 200k-300k.
My bet would be to realistically make it there at minimum 50k is needed.

Reactions: lopez007
If you are okay with living in DR it may be worth considering. Speaking only for myself I've been there a week and that was 5 days longer than I needed to know I would have no desire to live there. As a point of comparison, that was one day less than I needed to know I would never want to live in Atlantic City. AFAIK DR doesn't offer any visas based on fixed deposits. It's an income of US$2000 per month for the last 5 years or a pension of at US$1500 per month.

Medellín is rather nice, but like DR not for everybody. With $100k that should be enough money to form a company, become an employee of your company and stay as long as you want by renewing a TP-4 visa every 3 years. The worst thing about Medellin is that no one wants to tell you anything you don't want to hear (especially women) so you'll almost always hear the answer you want, which may or may not end up being true. Lying like this is the social norm and could cause you anything from a minor inconvenience (a woman stands you up) to a major inconvenience (actually, we're not going to honor the rent rate we negotiated, and it's now 50% higher than the initial asking price). If you can get used to that people that live there tend to be very happy.

Dominican Republic = you can go and stay, as long as you leave the country every so often.

Dominica is porbably available as someone mentioned above

You can buy an apartment in Colombia and get a residency visa based on owning a home dwelling I believe. And it's a REALLY GOOD infrastructure and great cost of living (very easy to manage in Colombia ). You can even start a business probably with that money after buying the home.

Dominican Republic = you can go and stay, as long as you leave the country every so often.

Dominica is porbably available as someone mentioned above

You can buy an apartment in Colombia and get a residency visa based on owning a home dwelling I believe. And it's a REALLY GOOD infrastructure and great cost of living (very easy to manage in Colombia ). You can even start a business probably with that money after buying the home.
Do I need to know Spanish ? or can I get by as a English speaker ?

I asked about colombia

You can get by on English but I'd suggest learning Spanish. You will get so much more out of living in a Latin country by knowing Spanish.

I have family that's Latin-mixed and took the same Spanish classes as every other American in school. You think you forget that stuff until you live somewhere, where it's spoken every day. It will all come back and after a while, you'll be able to defend yourself in a conversation with ease. And more importantly, understand others.

Do Colombians like gringos?
Colombians are cool if you're cool. If you have some sort of personality disorder, suggest you get help to fix yourself or go to rural parts to be by yourself to be honest.

I lived in Colombia 8 months (from end of 2021 and into 2022) and had a great time. Bogota to Villavicencio.

In Colombia you do need to have a little street wits and I'd suggest being a litle confindent in yourself.

I had 0 problems and I went to their worst areas, in the night time.

I love it . I will definitely buy property in Colombia. #2 most bio-diverse country in the world and the food.. especially the fruit and veggies are AMAZING!

Cost of living is super low.

If you guys need help. I can do a Q&A on Colombia or Dominican Republic and share places to stay , things to do, ways to get your money with a little less fees, etc.

Latest Threads