Our valued sponsor

Brexit Warning for Spanish non-doms living in UK

Martin Everson

Offshore Retiree
Jan 2, 2018
Visit site
For our ex-Spanish resident friends living in UK as a resident non-dom things could be looking bad due to brexit.

As you know Spain has an exit tax when you leave Spain. They brought this law in by Royal decree in 2015. If you have lived in Spain for 10 of the last 15 years and then leave you are forced to pay capital gains tax on unrealized gains on certain global assets i.e stocks. For example exit tax applies from when you have over Euro 4m in shareholdings for example. The unrealized gains are taxed at between 19-23%. However, this tax is deferred if you move to a country with a DTA or information exchange agreement with Spain. When you move to another EU/EEA country then the gain only needs to be declared if you sell your shares within the next 10 years or become resident outside the EU/EEA. Brexit will move the UK outside the EU/EEA :( So if you lived in Spain and took up residence in UK recently as a resident non-dom be prepared to pay up the Spanish exit tax....lol. smi(&%. I guess it may apply to cyrpto millionaires also depending on how Spain treats crypto for capital gains purposes ns2

If anyone has any more information or could correct this information I would be grateful.

P.S. Is Spain tracking ex-residents (via DTA's) for the next 10 years after they leave in order to see if they cashed in their holdings??? Sounds ridiculous.....but then they need the money :D