Our valued sponsor

Britons face call-up to fight in the armed forces if UK goes to war with Russia

Are you willing to fight for UK against Russia?

• Yes

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • No

Votes: 37 94.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
**Think of the advantages of that and the ferry service from Ireland to France, France to mainland Europe**

France and Ireland have a hard border for non EU citizens.

Ireland and UK are in the Common Travel area and neither are in Schengen. So an Irish or UK passport holder can move freely between ROI and UK. Ireland is in the EU, so an Irish passport holder can move freely between ROI and EU. As UK passport holders can enter Schengen for 90 days, they can move from ROI to Schengen in the same way as from UK to Schengen (using a passport).

Non-EU people must present a passport at the ROI-Schengen border so an Indian or Chinese national can enter UK with a UK visa and then travel to ROI due to the CTA, but this doesn't permit entry to Schengen so they will be rejected at the border with France.

EU will know about time spent in Schengen from some time in 2024 when the Big Brother EES system starts, so there will be no way to get around the Schengen's "90 days in 180 days" rule (unless assisted by Wagner Group or similar to evade border controls). I expect calls for a Schengen-wide tax residence rule to follow EES implementation, to prevent nomad-like living in Schengen.

ETIAS will probably go live in 2025. Even UK passport holders will need to pre-apply and pay €7 for ETIAS (similar to US ESTA) to travel from ROI to France, unless a beneficiary of the Withdrawal Agreement.

Ireland and UK are in the Common Travel area and neither are in Schengen. So an Irish or UK passport holder can move freely between ROI and UK. Ireland is in the EU, so an Irish passport holder can move freely between ROI and EU. As UK passport holders can enter Schengen for 90 days, they can move from ROI to Schengen in the same way as from UK to Schengen (using a passport).

Non-EU people must present a passport at the ROI-Schengen border so an Indian or Chinese national can enter UK with a UK visa and then travel to ROI due to the CTA, but this doesn't permit entry to Schengen so they will be rejected at the border with France.

EU will know about time spent in Schengen from some time in 2024 when the Big Brother EES system starts, so there will be no way to get around the Schengen's "90 days in 180 days" rule (unless assisted by Wagner Group or similar to evade border controls). I expect calls for a Schengen-wide tax residence rule to follow EES implementation, to prevent nomad-like living in Schengen.
the only thing which makes sense. Since its very easy to do this nowadays (maybe easiest option if one has schengen passport

ETIAS will probably go live in 2025. Even UK passport holders will need to pre-apply and pay €7 for ETIAS (similar to US ESTA) to travel from ROI to France, unless a beneficiary of the Withdrawal Agreement.
There’s a hard border at the ferry stations? First i heard of it. Never had to go through a customs before.

A EU wide tax is a given it’s the next step a federal tax probably at first though.

Switzerland has since ceded a lot of control to Europe - I used to travel back and forth from London City daily/weekly these days you have to have abide by EU laws, in addition as Brexit came in it was a struggle to get my wife’s multi year visa - Schengen at Swiss embassy - basically the deputy ambassador overwrote the rules and issued as are argument was we are tax payers there and had to deal with the wealth tax.

But he was blunt - in future she’d have to either apply for specific dates in the future or buy citizenship (think 5m) and that wasn’t a certainty and there were periods you had to go through, or get European citizenship somehow for Europe.

We’ve not stepped foot in Swiss since or Europe for that matter - can’t be asked with dealing with the application spend money elsewhere instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Martin Everson
There’s a hard border at the ferry stations?

Yes every passport is checked because for Schengen, Ireland is an external border. Once Bulgaria and Romania are in Schengen, the only EU member states with hard borders to Schengen will be Ireland and Cyprus. Ireland has an opt-out. Cyprus is legally obliged but much of its territory is controlled by the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.

A EU wide tax is a given it’s the next step a federal tax probably at first though.

I agree; "minimum tax" (like Pillar Two but for natural persons) will be first, then harmonisation, then centralisation. Maybe EU conscription too of Macron get's his EU army.

We’ve not stepped foot in Swiss since or Europe for that matter - can’t be asked with dealing with the application spend money elsewhere instead.

More and more, entrepreneurs and wealthy people are leaving over-regulated, over-taxed countries.

There’s a hard border at the ferry stations? First i heard of it.
Exactly. And now you know. That's why there's no passport checks when you travel from ROI to UK. In Dublin airport they do check all incoming travellers. Everyone arriving in Ireland goes through passport control doesn't matter where they come from. Probably no land border checks between Northern Ireland and ROI, but I don't travel by land. And of course you don't need a passport to travel between Ireland and the UK, UK or ROI driving licence is sufficient even if you travel by air.

So that’s all changed? So much for freedom of movement

Freedom of movement changed in October 2021. Since then passports have been required to travel between Schengen and CTA (UK and Ireland). Id cards can be used by EU nationals.

This is to enforce the "90 days in 180" rule, due to the lack of hard border between Ireland and UK. Some of us think this will also enable new rules in future, to avoid hopping around Schengen all year while avoiding any tax residence.

My understanding is that a Brit can remain in Ireland longer than the 180 days... bla bla all back to the troubles...

If not then a fire needs lighting under the Northern Irish, and the Irish asses to re-kick-start the troubles.

Ok can we please stick to topic now else posts will be deleted.

What would happen to people who refuse conscription if it's introduced?​

It's just sad that ordinary people may suffer when the big guys at the top make bad decisions that affect them. But maybe you get what you vote for or maybe voting wont make any difference to the agenda.

It's just sad that ordinary people may suffer when the big guys at the top make bad decisions that affect them. But maybe you get what you vote for or maybe voting wont make any difference to the agenda.
Voting has no effect in policy. I always liked Meritocracy

See below,

In America, people vote for faces not for results. They rank worse than Russia in terms of wealth inequality lol

Politicians more like actors and Nigerian princesses combined together;)

Last edited:

Latest Threads