Our valued sponsor

Can validity of a card be extended without reissuing a card?

Samman Kaseeb Sleiman

Jun 21, 2022
X
Visit site
I have a MasterCard card from Armenia. On it's written that it's valid till {{Month N}} / 2022. However, recently I've noticied in the internet banking that its validity got extended to be until 2024 (or 2025, I don't remember). That is, for the same physical card, and not a new one that the bank would issue me.

And the month of 2024 too has changed.

I asked the bank and it confirmed it - now it's till 2024.

How can it be?

I have a MasterCard card from Armenia. On it's written that it's valid till {{Month N}} / 2022. However, recently I've noticied in the internet banking that its validity got extended to be until 2024 (or 2025, I don't remember). That is, for the same physical card, and not a new one that the bank would issue me.

And the month of 2024 too has changed.

I asked the bank and it confirmed it - now it's till 2024.

How can it be?
From the technical point of view, it is pretty simple. At the absolutely prevailing majority of cases now, the expiry date of your card is checked against the on-line database, not physically on-site. So it is quite imaginable (although definitely not common, AFAIK) just to change the date in the database and not to bother with issuing & sending a card. Of course, if someone extraordinally curious looks at your card, the need for an explanation will very probably arise...
Once again: the SAME PHYSICAL card.

And the bank told me that it wouldn't send me a new card, and instead I'd have to a) order it b) pick it up.

Now it makes some sense (this information was missing in your previous post). IMO, banks just wants to save some bucks (who doesn't) and offers you voluntarily not to have a new physical card. Customers can be fine with this in many cases, I guess. (I also guess, that ordering and picking up a card would cost you something – and even if not, mailing costs are still zero.) And if you encounter situations when you use your card purely off-line (yes, I know that it can happen for example at some petrol pump in the middle of nowhere in Canada or US, where is no or very poor internet coverage), you will probably not hesitate to order a new card...

The validity date on a card is, basically, as merely a reminder for myself? And a bank can extend it in its database so that I'll be able to continue to use a card even after the initial, written, date has expired?

If I pay by it somewhere in a shop, couldn't some curious staff member question me as for why and how I'm using a seemingly expired card?

The validity date on a card is, basically, as merely a reminder for myself?
Well... to some extent, yes.
And a bank can extend it in its database so that I'll be able to continue to use a card even after the initial, written, date has expired?
Yes, see above.
Although I think this is not a common practice; I would say that in such a case the plastic card, strictly speaking, transforms itself to a virtual one.

BTW, could you share the bank name and possibly your general experience with them? It would be nice to know more how Armenian banks are working, in general.

If I pay by it somewhere in a shop, couldn't some curious staff member question me as for why and how I'm using a seemingly expired card?
Of course he/she could do it, see above.

Latest Threads