Our valued sponsor

Canadian expat in Russia

rootless

Jul 1, 2022
Dubai
Visit site
UK/Canadian citizen here, I moved to Russia last September with my Russian wife and kids, then everything kicked off in Ukraine in February. Wife is happy here with the family, naturally, I'd prefer to try to make it work rather than have to pack up and move again.

I own a US LLC, I'm a remote web developer and I've had a good run this year, unfortunately sanctions now apply to me also, and my registered agent has to resign; I received a notice from them, and getting a registered agent is no longer possible; 30 days I have left with them legally, so I need to wind the business down and look for an alternative solution.

I'm considering setting up another offshore so I can continue servicing my clients in the US, but I need banking and a payment gateway, it all seems exceedingly hard to do these days given the current geopolitical situation. I'm considering UAE, Singapore, Hong Kong or anywhere else not on the blacklist here. Does anyone have any good suggestions on this one? Thanks

Reactions: Forester
UK/Canadian citizen here, I moved to Russia last September with my Russian wife and kids, then everything kicked off in Ukraine in February. Wife is happy here with the family, naturally, I'd prefer to try to make it work rather than have to pack up and move again.

I own a US LLC, I'm a remote web developer and I've had a good run this year, unfortunately sanctions now apply to me also, and my registered agent has to resign; I received a notice from them, and getting a registered agent is no longer possible; 30 days I have left with them legally, so I need to wind the business down and look for an alternative solution.

I'm considering setting up another offshore so I can continue servicing my clients in the US, but I need banking and a payment gateway, it all seems exceedingly hard to do these days given the current geopolitical situation. I'm considering UAE, Singapore, Hong Kong or anywhere else not on the blacklist here. Does anyone have any good suggestions on this one? Thanks
Declare that you live somewhere else, buy a fake utility bill and f**k them at their own stupid game.

While that's definitely an option I would suggest you avoid doing that and open a fresh HK company via Neat.hk instead while claiming to be resident of either UK or Canada, whichever is easier to prove considering your own personal situation (maybe you have an old utility bill).

So fake utility bill - yes, but not in US context. Don't f**k around with the US especially not in regards to sanctions and Russia.

If you decide to go the HK route don't forget to use a VPN.

Reactions: Forester
While that's definitely an option I would suggest you avoid doing that and open a fresh HK company via Neat.hk instead while claiming to be resident of either UK or Canada, whichever is easier to prove considering your own personal situation (maybe you have an old utility bill).

So fake utility bill - yes, but not in US context. Don't f**k around with the US especially not in regards to sanctions and Russia.

If you decide to go the HK route don't forget to use a VPN.
Thanks Jerry, yeah I wasn't going to get messy with the US by any means, hence the current situation ;)

I'm actually considering going with DLS Dubai here, looks like a legit path considering it's a cheap enough return flight from here and it would involve getting a residency permit, which might make things easier, thinking HK might be a good second option failing that.

Reactions: Fred
@rootless:
I hope your situation have been solved in the meantime or at least it is on a good way.
From me just a minor alteration to @Jerry1911 recipe (that I like): I would personally prefer Statrys over Neat, they seem to me being more reliable.
And if you eventually go for Singapore, Aspire (All-in-one Finance For Growing Businesses | Aspire) is IMO worth checking – you will obtain a SG company with no-fees banking for ~USD 2000; I consider it to be a good deal...
Anyway, good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: rolex
have you been using them?
Not personally; but some people that I know used both and their stories indicate the above stated.

Latest Threads