Our valued sponsor

Question Cashing crypto money out by using 183 day rule

luskiw

Sep 6, 2022
Germany
Visit site
Hey,

Im a born dude, living in germany for the past 27 years. In past years I worked my a*s off by programming day and night softwares and selling them online on the internet for crypto (BTC & Stablecoins). I made around 200-300k euro, depending on where Bitcoin stays. If I would cash that out, I would need to pay 19% VAT + ~50% tax, which Im in no way giving to this system which fucked me so hard in life. There is the rule in germany, when you hold crypto assets for longer than 1 year, they are tax free. But the income is not through investing or holding, but through selling software, so that wont be an option. The tax office will request all information (TxID) even if its only a few k.

Now there is the rule with the 183 days staying out of a country.
Lets imagine, me, staying out of germany for a year living in some other countries like turkey or so on and in the meantime cashing out the crypto to a bank or so. And then returning to germany after a year with the legally cashed out money. Will that work or will they take a very close look on the whole situation?

I got no obligations nor job, so telling them I wanted to emigrate somewhere else makes sense. I also got roots in some other countries.

@luskiw we might be able to help you - happy to have a conversation in German Language as well.

When you have 2 Passports / Roots in other Countries - let's say Turkey - things can become very interesting.

Why don't you get a visa card attached to your crypto account and use it locally for your day to day expenses and holidays in the mean time? En better, many merchants accept crypto payments directly

And then returning to germany after a year with the legally cashed out money.
This part will never work as they will say "you moved out just to cash out and they will tax you"...
If you want to move out - then move out for good.

So, you have two options:
1. paying it in Germany or figuring what's the best way how to pay as little as possible (consult with a tax advisor)
2. permanently move out of Germany for couple of years 3-4-5 years (now not sure if it's worth it... also if you have family etc. it may not be that simple)

There is one other way to do it and sleep well.

Maybe you could cash out some part of it like 20-50k and keep rest in crypto for some time. The laws might change in the future so they become more favorable to you.

Can't you just get it in cash, and use the cash for your day-to-day expenses?

Sure, you can't buy real estate or a car or anything like that with the money, but you can buy anything where you don't have to put your name on it, no problem.

Right? Yes? No? Why?

Hey,

Im a born dude, living in germany for the past 27 years. In past years I worked my *** off by programming day and night softwares and selling them online on the internet for crypto (BTC & Stablecoins). I made around 200-300k euro, depending on where Bitcoin stays. If I would cash that out, I would need to pay 19% VAT + ~50% tax, which Im in no way giving to this system which fucked me so hard in life. There is the rule in germany, when you hold crypto assets for longer than 1 year, they are tax free. But the income is not through investing or holding, but through selling software, so that wont be an option. The tax office will request all information (TxID) even if its only a few k.

Now there is the rule with the 183 days staying out of a country.
Lets imagine, me, staying out of germany for a year living in some other countries like turkey or so on and in the meantime cashing out the crypto to a bank or so. And then returning to germany after a year with the legally cashed out money. Will that work or will they take a very close look on the whole situation?

I got no obligations nor job, so telling them I wanted to emigrate somewhere else makes sense. I also got roots in some other countries.
You are already evading taxes, you worked and got paid and didn't report and pay your taxes.
Your money is not clean and you cannot show proof of fund for it and its going to be hard to use that money legally anywhere, this is the issue.

I am not sure what you expect with this 183 days rule but there is nothing there to improve your situation in regard to taxes, proof of fund and tax return is your problem.

You should be able to use the money for living expenses to live somewhere else, but its going to be hard to invest and grow this money which is what you typically want to do with this amount.

Reactions: OffChance