Our valued sponsor

Dividend taxation

AlexGE

Jun 29, 2022
Georgia
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Dividends are taxes at a different rate vs regular income (I know it's not the same way everywhere but in my case - yes)

But who's in charge to prove that certain income is dividend?
I mean if I received some dividends during this year, I have to report that I got X$ at a dividend,

at what point in time do I have to prove that it was a dividend, not a regular income?

Thank you.

How can I prove it in case of "if" ?
Another way to word this question is: How do I go from a possibly excusable error and just owing some back taxes to committing the kind of tax fraud that will land me in prison?

Something like "dividend resolution" from a company that issues dividends?
Yes, along with an entire company with audited financials and bank statements to prove the company made a profit from some activity, paid tax, and that you as a shareholder were paid an amount matching what you declared. You can fake all this, but you're betting your personal freedom on you being better at faking documents and records than the government is at detecting and using other channels to verify.

The tax man isn't dumb. Overworked, yes, which is why your scheme might slip through. But it won't hold up to scrutiny. If you are audited, expect to have to prove that the source is also legitimate.

• Haha
Reactions: Wyoming and EliasIT
What
Another way to word this question is: How do I go from a possibly excusable error and just owing some back taxes to committing the kind of tax fraud that will land me in prison?

Yes, along with an entire company with audited financials and bank statements to prove the company made a profit from some activity, paid tax, and that you as a shareholder were paid an amount matching what you declared. You can fake all this, but you're betting your personal freedom on you being better at faking documents and records than the government is at detecting and using other channels to verify.

The tax man isn't dumb. Overworked, yes, which is why your scheme might slip through. But it won't hold up to scrutiny. If you are audited, expect to have to prove that the source is also legitimate.

What a nice way to think about ppl you don't know :)

I own a share in a PE fund, they do send out "Financial statements", but I don't see anything that looks like a "bank statement" and a "paid tax".

are you sure they have to send bank statements and some proofs of paid tax to each shareholder?

Hello everyone,

Dividends are taxes at a different rate vs regular income (I know it's not the same way everywhere but in my case - yes)

But who's in charge to prove that certain income is dividend?
I mean if I received some dividends during this year, I have to report that I got X$ at a dividend,

at what point in time do I have to prove that it was a dividend, not a regular income?

Thank you.
Is the dividends higher or lower taxed in your case?
Don't the fund send you any documentation on the payouts? Have you tried asking them?

Depending on the type of distribution, as characterized by the distributing company's/entity's internal arrangements and according to applicable tax laws in the country of distribution, the income is characterized accordingly. Now from the recipient's end, the characterization of the income depends on the local tax laws of the country of the recipient's tax residence, if a different country. It is possible that the characterization between countries differs. Also double tax treaties become relevant here ( if they exist) to ensure the avoidance of double taxation.

What

What a nice way to think about ppl you don't know :)

I own a share in a PE fund, they do send out "Financial statements", but I don't see anything that looks like a "bank statement" and a "paid tax".

are you sure they have to send bank statements and some proofs of paid tax to each shareholder?
Don't you have a tax advisor that is able to sort this out. Usually it is a matter of an hour you have to pay him for such and you will keep the headache away.

It really depends on the nature of the dividend (your interest in and relation to the entity paying dividend) and the nature of the audit. Tax audits are usually hostile, because they are based on a suspicion. If you live in a jurisdiction where the burden of proof is reversed for tax crimes, you may be presumed guilty until you prove yourself innocent.

In the case of receiving dividend payment from a PE and you end up audited, it might be enough to show the financial statement, a bank statement where you receive the dividend (and do the initial buy-in, if any), and an agreement with the PE if you have one. Especially if the PE is registered and/or well known.

If the tax authority has reasons to doubt your story, you might need to ask the PE for additional proof.

Reactions: AlexGE

Latest Threads