Our valued sponsor

Do states have to accept Tax Residence Certificates of another country if they have a DTA with each other??

thedark

Apr 9, 2021
NoWhere
Visit site
Hi, I am looking for an answer if other states have to accecpt TRCs if they have a DTA with each other?

For example: I live in a country which does not create TRCs with a special remark.

Spain is asking for:
This certificate must expressly state that the taxpayer is a resident within the meaning of the agreement.

Here is an example how this looks:

1680774837274.png

Any experience on that topic?

Last edited:
Hi, I am looking for an answer if other states have to accecpt TRCs if they have a DTA with each other?

For example: I live in a country which does not create TRCs with a special remark.

Spain is asking for:

View attachment 4674

Spain is asking for:

View attachment 4674

They should accept it yeah.
Then its up to the "competent authority procedures" to collaborate and dispute it if needed.

Are you sure about that? I am looking for real-world experience. Thanks anyway ;)
real world experience answer is: case by case.

We see UAE sometimes not issuing a TRC without further comments despite all requirements full filled.

No state has to if they don't want - it's then a thing of a court to justice.

Are you sure about that? I am looking for real-world experience. Thanks anyway ;)
In most cases tax residency certificates should include this special remark. Otherwise its less likely to help you to avoid dual tax residency.
Its a question whether the tax residency certificate is issued based on domestic legislation or an international treaty. If it has reference to a DTA then its purpose is to avoid dual tax residency.

It's not about the issuing, its about the recognition of an issued TRC from other countries. Like in the example:
State A issue a TRC without the remark, State B is requesting TRC with remark.

My question is why they have a dta in place at all, if they don't trust each others government documents?

Last edited:

Absolutely not. You can have dual tax residency. Any CRS form will show that you can have more than one tax residency (TIN providing) and both countries can claim you are a tax resident of theirs.

The DTA is there just to make sure the same "income" is not taxed twice. You really need to read the DTA between both countries well and look for any tie-breaker clauses etc.

A TRC is nice to claim tax residency in one country but does not stop the other country saying you are tax resident their also or a dual tax resident hence start digging into DTA clauses.

Latest Threads