Our valued sponsor

Eastern Caribbean CBI and Taxation

TrueNorth

Aug 1, 2022
Caribbean
Visit site
Does anyone know if you hold an Eastern Caribbean passport can have a home in another island and still have a tax status? So if you hold a Grenada passport but live in St Lucia (for less than 183 days) can you get a tax coding or a letter of non-endebtedness from the SL tax authorities? If so are there different rules for the different islands?

Passports have nothing to do with taxation. You need to consider residence.
I mean, it's not that simple. "having a home" could mean owning real estate as a natural person. In some countries you have to be a citizen(passport holder) to do that, so it's a valid question.

Furthermore, tax residence is usually linked to legal residence, which can be linked to having a passport (citizenship). AFAIK the easiest way to become a resident of a certain country is to be its citizen.

There's also CARICOM but I haven't looked into it myself.

Reactions: TrueNorth
I mean, it's not that simple. "having a home" could mean owning real estate as a natural person. In some countries you have to be a citizen(passport holder) to do that, so it's a valid question.

Furthermore, tax residence is usually linked to legal residence, which can be linked to having a passport (citizenship). AFAIK the easiest way to become a resident of a certain country is to be its citizen.

There's also CARICOM but I haven't looked into it myself.
Taxation is based on residence, not on citizenship, with the exception of the USA.

Reactions: TrueNorth
Taxation is based on residence, not on citizenship, with the exception of the USA.
Thanks, I added the passport reference to refer to my eligability to live anywhere in the CARICOM area. But you are right, it's the citizenship that counts and the question is one of residence as you said.

If I choose to rent a home, establish a bank account, etc. in an island different to my own will I be able to get a certificate of non-endebtedness from that island as I would be able to from my own island of citizenship? Where would I find that information? I'm aware legall residence is based on days spent most of the time.

If I can live anywhere in CARICOM then I may choose to have a home base (and potential domicile) in another island rather than my own. The question from this is whether I'm likely to find it harder to establish ties (bank account, etc.) in a different island?

Last edited:
Thanks, I added the passport reference to refer to my eligability to live anywhere in the CARICOM area. But you are right, it's the citizenship that counts and the question is one of residence as you said.

If I choose to rent a home, establish a bank account, etc. in an island different to my own will I be able to get a certificate of non-endebtedness from that island as I would be able to from my own island of citizenship? Where would I find that information? I'm aware legall residence is based on days spent most of the time.

If I can live anywhere in CARICOM then I may choose to have a home base (and potential domicile) in another island rather than my own. The question from this is whether I'm likely to find it harder to establish ties (bank account, etc.) in a different island?
Buying a passport doesn’t change anything in your tax setup.
There are plenty of options t for becoming resident in Caribbean countries, not difficult at all.

Latest Threads