Our valued sponsor

ETIAS and Second Passport?

sinos

Member Plus
Oct 16, 2020
Visit site
Starting in 2022, the European Commission will roll out a U.S. style electronic travel authorisation system (ETIAS) for visitors from countries that are currently not part of the EU. The countries that enjoyed visa free travel as of now will have to ask for a visa waiver. ETIAS form requests Country of Birth. I have few questions:

1. What happens for dual citizens, more precisely who have bought a second passport, as Country of Birth may be informed of your dual citizenship.
2. What if the EU banks implement the same and asks for ETIAS approval, which will have Country of Birth. Will they ask for a tax resident certificate.
3. In that scenario, owning a house , paying utility bills for that house in the second passport country will make me a tax resident there, even though I don't stay there.

Starting in 2022, the European Commission will roll out a U.S. style electronic travel authorisation system (ETIAS) for visitors from countries that are currently not part of the EU. The countries that enjoyed visa free travel as of now will have to ask for a visa waiver. ETIAS form requests Country of Birth. I have few questions:

1. What happens for dual citizens, more precisely who have bought a second passport, as Country of Birth may be informed of your dual citizenship.
2. What if the EU banks implement the same and asks for ETIAS approval, which will have Country of Birth. Will they ask for a tax resident certificate.
3. In that scenario, owning a house , paying utility bills for that house in the second passport country will make me a tax resident there, even though I don't stay there.

I wouldn't think much would happen with Dual citizens because you can't penalise someone for having it regardless of whether you earned it or bought it.

They will be looking at ensuring that people have confirmed tax residency and where the center of life is.

Proof of where you actually reside will be paramount going forward. So for those who want to be tax efficient they will have to move and spend the required time where they say they are tax residents.

The EU is in ruins and the fact you have to pay to keep your money in the bank is a big indicator that it's the beginning of the end.

Reactions: polonieth and sinos
I wouldn't think much would happen with Dual citizens because you can't penalise someone for having it regardless of whether you earned it or bought it.
I agree, but won't they ask for why you have two passports?

For instance an Australian went to Holland for a 2 year working holiday. Loved it so much they stayed and gained citizenship (fell in love, got married bla bla).

They can ask about it and to be honest you don't have to answer the questions. All they need to confirm is that both passports are real.

Reactions: Phil123