Our valued sponsor

EU National. Can I work as sole trader registered in UK, but not reside in the UK?

resident101

Jan 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi All,

I am an EU national. I have pre-settled status in the UK, I have the NI, etc. I registered as a sole trader and now I will live outside if the UK with no intentions of coming back.

I work remotely for a US company now and I will live somewhere in South America.

Can I get paid from my work in my UK bank account as a sole trader without physicaly residing in the UK? I prefer to pay my tax in the UK, it's still lower than my other options. (Later I might consider registering as a LLC somewhere and get paid as a business, but this is for later)

There is another detail here I have a student loan in the UK, the Government-sponsored one, so it's not really a "real" loan but I still have to pay it back. I must tell the UK GOV that now I will reside outside of the UK, so I can pay the loan (normally, if I work in the UK the loan is paid automatically before tax before I get receive my salary, but this is only if I work in the UK) If I am not getting pain the UK, they have no way to charge me, so I have to do it voluntarily by telling them I work outside of the UK.

Basically I must tell the UK GOV that now I will reside outside of the UK to avoid problems with my loan. So by telling them that I will live outside of the UK, do I get in trouble with my sole trader status? Can I lose my sole trader status for not residing in the UK as a NON-UK National?

Thanks All!