Our valued sponsor

EU Partnerships

JustAnotherNomad

Pro Member
Oct 18, 2019
Visit site
Has anyone done some research into EU partnerships?

US LLCs and UK LLPs seem quite popular, but what about options within the EU?
Ireland, Estonia, maybe even traditional high-tax countries? The structures should be transparent, so there usually shouldn't be any tax if you don't have local operations in the country.
Obtaining a VAT ID (for those who work B2B) would probably be the biggest hurdle, but I'm sure even that could be overcome by simply selling B2C over the minimum threshold, as then you have to get a VAT ID...?

I could imagine that especially Estonia could be an interesting option, as even the "on shore" (local revenue) part of the partnership (if you have some substance in Estonia) would probably only be taxed if you distribute profits?
So in theory, you could simply add some substance (for banking, VAT registration, ...) and still not pay tax? @Don ?

I did some time ago.

In Ireland, AFAIK, LLPs can only be used by professionals like lawyers or something.

Long story short, the only place with a suitable strutcture is CY LLP.

In all the other countries you have to deal with a LP where the general manager has unlimited liability so you need to form a company to act as a general manager to limit liability.

Ireland, Estonia, maybe even traditional high-tax countries? The structures should be transparent, so there usually shouldn't be any tax if you don't have local operations in the country.
Obtaining a VAT ID (for those who work B2B) would probably be the biggest hurdle, but I'm sure even that could be overcome by simply selling B2C over the minimum threshold, as then you have to get a VAT ID...?

I could imagine that especially Estonia could be an interesting option, as even the "on shore" (local revenue) part of the partnership (if you have some substance in Estonia) would probably only be taxed if you distribute profits?
So in theory, you could simply add some substance (for banking, VAT registration, ...) and still not pay tax? @Don ?
Estonia has indeed multiple partnership structures:
1) Transparent partnerships for tax purposes which are not considered natural nor legal entities, and not registered in the commercial register, but they can have their own tax number if there is a tax liability in Estonia:
1.1 Partnership (like very popular but expensive xolo go)
1.2 Silent partnership - One of the purposes of the silent partnership is to hide the participants in the business. The enterprises leading figure is publicly registered, but its partner or partners are not.
2) legal entity partnerships:
2.1 General partnership (unlimited liability partners)
2.2 Limited partnership (dormant partner with limited liability + active partner with unlimited liability)

Both legal entities and natural persons can form such partnerships, but when there are only natural persons involved there is no requirement to submit publicly available annual reports. You can easily obtain VAT number. If you operate as a PE in foreign jurisdiction sometimes again you dont need to submit any financial statements. In some cases you can benefit from the reduced or exemption of withholding taxes.

3) commercial association - while not a partnership its worth mentioning it as its quite similar. This organization can be formed by legal and natural persons, with both limited and unlimited liability depending on if you pay in share capital of 2.5k.
Great benefit is that members are not publicly disclosed.
Every member is equal with 1 vote.
A commercial association (tulundusühistu) is a company aimed at supporting and advancing the economic interests of its members through collective business activity. Members take part in the association in the following role:
  • as consumers or users of other benefits;
  • as suppliers;
  • by contributing labour;
  • through using services;
  • in some other similar manner.
As a company it can also distribute dividends.

General partnership, limited partnership and commercial association are treated as separate legal entities and are tax residents in Estonia. They are only taxed in Estonia when distributing profits.

While its 20% tax on distribution only, there is no withholding tax, and already taxed profits arising from foreign PE-s are tax exempt, so its possible to structure the total tax rate paid on distributed profits as little as 0.1% depending on the jurisdictions and types of income involved. Non-resident salaries are also not taxed. Due to the nature of the tax system capital contributions can be very useful tool to benefit from effective zero tax, yet be able to withdraw funds from your business if need be.

Partnerships can also form different partnerships with themselves and other natural persons so it can get quite complex.

To conclude, with careful planning (due to GAAR) Estonia can be an useful tool for structuring anonymity, non-disclosure of assets, zero or close to zero tax and tax residency without actual physical stay, or legal residency without tax residence.
You can build a startup and exit it tax free and even real estate investments can be structured tax free.
EU has its possibilities and limitations. Free movement of capital applies within the EU. Those intending to show a particular finger to EU might need a stepping stone, and Estonia can be quite decent choice.
In specific circumstances it can allow to win time and to benefit from a possible decrease in value of the hidden reserves between the moves. Also, in case of a request for administrative cooperation, Estonia as temporary jurisdiction may have limited interest to invest resources in order to collect taxes for the departure state if wealthy investors decide to move to this country.

At times partnerships can be useful for avoiding or limiting exit tax.It can be useful to put the shares into a foreign holding and to put this foreign holding into a local partnership before the exit. Generally spoken, it may be useful to establish rather complex international structures with several shareholders and units on different levels and contracts between them in order to have better arguments for the evaluation.

Thanks, sounds interesting.
But can you use a partnership to distribute profits without paying tax in Estonia? Otherwise I don't really see the advantage over a limited liability company?
Partnership in Estonia can redistribute tax free the foreign profits that were already taxed. Otherwise indeed it does not work like US disregarded llc.

Here are the most obvious benefits:
  • Partnerships that are legal entities can always be converted to limited liability companies
  • Easier to add/remove members
  • Less reporting obligations, no management board
  • Partnerships can legally lend money to its owners, noting that there is no WHT on interest payments to non-residents

Last edited:
I remember a few years ago someone mentioned that a Finnish Partnership could be interesting. I don't know if it actually is, I don't know anything about it but if you wish to dig into countries, maybe that could be one to look up.

I didn't think there would be such big differences. I thought they'd work pretty much the same in all countries, just that some offer limited liability, while in other cases, you have to make a Ltd. a partner for that.
But that generally, the biggest challenge would be getting a VAT ID...

Thanks, sounds interesting.
But can you use a partnership to distribute profits without paying tax in Estonia? Otherwise I don't really see the advantage over a limited liability company?
You can create a tax-transparent partnership between an LTD and a natural person (e.g., 0% tax resident or perpetual traveller without tax residency).
LTD will manage the partnership and be eligible for a fixed fee or 0.01% of the profits, while the passive natural person partner will get 99.9%.
managing partner of the Partnership could contribute to the management and representation functions of the Partnership e.g.,:
  • provide a legal entity under which the Partnership shall act in relations with third parties;
  • review and accept/reject the contracts with 3rd parties
  • manage the Partnership's assets;
  • make other management and representation decisions and activities

The natural person as the partner of the Partnership will contribute with capital or activities aimed at actual and successful provision of the services to the customers, including finding the customers and preparing and providing the services, while it will be explicitly mentioned in the agreement that the partnership does not constitute an agency, employment or other similar relationship between the parties.
This could be close to zero tax setup and effectively zero tax.

Reactions: troubled soul
Interesting idea! Would you be able to obtain a VAT ID for the partnership? What kind of accounting will there be, same as for a limited liability company?
I have had cases where clients were interested in company financials etc., so it would be good to be able to show some official reports.

I have heard that similar setups are possible in other EU countries, but the main issue always seems to be that it would be close to impossible to obtain a VAT ID.

Interesting idea! Would you be able to obtain a VAT ID for the partnership? What kind of accounting will there be, same as for a limited liability company?
I have had cases where clients were interested in company financials etc., so it would be good to be able to show some official reports.

I have heard that similar setups are possible in other EU countries, but the main issue always seems to be that it would be close to impossible to obtain a VAT ID.
Unincorporated (tax transparent) partnerships cannot issue invoices, but another legal entity can issue invoices on behalf of the partnership. Partnership can "use" the legal entities' VAT number.

So the other legal entity would be like a payment provider, basically?
The contract is between the client and "Partnership", but the invoice is sent by "Payment Provider on behalf of Partnership"?

So then accounting would only be done on the Payment Provider level, but it would have almost no declared income (maybe a small processing fee)? Since it's not even reselling services, just managing payments on behalf of the partnership? Wouldn't this create issues with banks very quickly (accepting payments on behalf of a third party)?

And what would you need the partnership for then if it doesn't really appear anything? I mean, ok, in the contract with the client, but if there's not even a proper way to check the existence of the partnership (since it's not incorporated), you might as well just use a US LLC or other non-EU structure since you get none of the benefits with having an EU entity? Or am I missing something?

I'm actually wondering if it wouldn't then be better to either use an EU branch of a foreign company (some countries allow you to officially register a branch, like in Switzerland). The branch would typically not be a separate legal entity, but otherwise be treated like a local company. If there is no local branch income, it may not even be subject to tax.

Or maybe one could set up a partnership in some EU countries and add some minimal substance, so that the partnership becomes subject to local tax, so that one can get a VAT ID? Or just sell to private customers until your over the threshold for obtaining a VAT ID?

So the other legal entity would be like a payment provider, basically?
The contract is between the client and "Partnership", but the invoice is sent by "Payment Provider on behalf of Partnership"?

So then accounting would only be done on the Payment Provider level, but it would have almost no declared income (maybe a small processing fee)? Since it's not even reselling services, just managing payments on behalf of the partnership? Wouldn't this create issues with banks very quickly (accepting payments on behalf of a third party)?

And what would you need the partnership for then if it doesn't really appear anything? I mean, ok, in the contract with the client, but if there's not even a proper way to check the existence of the partnership (since it's not incorporated), you might as well just use a US LLC or other non-EU structure since you get none of the benefits with having an EU entity? Or am I missing something?
This is well tested out idea on a massive scale - check xolo io (specifically xolo go product) to test it out by yourself for free. Their charges are 5.9% + 0.9% + (1.9% for credit cards), but you can as well set up a structure that mimics the same principle and not have these fixed costs. You can use different jurisdiction partnerships, etc.

I looked into Xolo Go a while ago and in my eyes, that product is very close to being a scam. They charge a fee for essentially no value provided. You don't get limited liability, you don't get any tax advantage, nothing. You're only paying to have Xolo's name on the invoice instead of your own.

But anyway, that doesn't answer my questions, the fact that they have access to banking doesn't mean that I would get access to banking? They obviously have a lot more capital and connections than me.
I have also heard of people who used a company in Panama or some other offshore country and then used a parent company as the "payment provider", so on paper, the accounts were all owned by the "payment provider" parent, while the income was attributed to the offshore company. I just can't imagine that this would be sustainable if you're not Xolo. It would obviously be high risk in the eyes of the bank?

So to sum up my questions:

1. Can you get a VAT ID? No.
2. Can you get access to banking for the partnership? No.

So it's no different from having a company in e.g. the BVI? Not trying to be negative here, I just don't see the benefit?
Why then not have a BVI company with a "payment provider" front?

I looked into Xolo Go a while ago and in my eyes, that product is very close to being a scam. They charge a fee for essentially no value provided. You don't get limited liability, you don't get any tax advantage, nothing. You're only paying to have Xolo's name on the invoice instead of your own.

But anyway, that doesn't answer my questions, the fact that they have access to banking doesn't mean that I would get access to banking? They obviously have a lot more capital and connections than me.
I have also heard of people who used a company in Panama or some other offshore country and then used a parent company as the "payment provider", so on paper, the accounts were all owned by the "payment provider" parent, while the income was attributed to the offshore company. I just can't imagine that this would be sustainable if you're not Xolo. It would obviously be high risk in the eyes of the bank?

So to sum up my questions:

1. Can you get a VAT ID? No.
2. Can you get access to banking for the partnership? No.

So it's no different from having a company in e.g. the BVI? Not trying to be negative here, I just don't see the benefit?
Why then not have a BVI company with a "payment provider" front?
Not arguing with your opinion re xolo, but its worth noting that they work only with very limited activities.

I guess the main benefit of unincorporated partnership is for those who need to conceal their identity from the public for some reason, e.g., scammers.

Payment processing companies are indeed very common setups. In certain EU jurisdictions it is possible to get exemption from needing to acquire EMI license with the right structure. Interestingly I have even come across some EMI-s using non-licensed payment processor companies - EMI having a payment processor company with an account with the same EMI.

For VAT id and banking you need legal entity so a non-transparent partnership would work well.

Yeah, in the case I'm thinking about, I think they didn't need a license because they were only offering payment services to their own subsidiary and not the general public.

So you mean a general/limited partnership? How would they be taxed then? Can you get a VAT ID and access to banking in Estonia, but have the profits not be subject to tax in Estonia?

did you explore any option in the Netherlands?

So..did anyone create a partnership and got a VAT & bank in EU? Really curious.
You need to be very specific here about jurisdiction and legal structure, etc., and a good lawyer is probably capable of providing the answer.

When it comes to Estonia, an unincorporated partnership is not considered a legal entity in the sense of civil law. The Estonian tax laws still allow such an association to be treated as a taxpayer in the tax law sense and, depending on the circumstances, the profit of the association can be taxed either as income of the members or of the association.
Unincorporated partnerships can also create a permanent establishment in Estonia and for example, own real estate.

Normally such partnerships can not own bank accounts as they are neither natural nor a legal person. So you need to have a managing person or managing legal entity to process payments for the unincorporated partnership.

Interestingly Decentralized autonomous organizations or DAO-s are also often treated as unincorporated partnerships. DAO-s can also own crypto wallets.
If I recall correctly someone called Gediminas was promoting this structure on this forum.
Cross border they are often not beneficial for profit distributions as they can often lead to double taxation, as jurisdictions often treat the income differently.

Last edited:

Latest Threads