Our valued sponsor

Experience with Mexico?

Sovereign Man published an email article about Mexico just today. It is one of the least restrictive COVID-19 nations in the world. I have read that fact about Mexico in a variety of recent articles. Residency is very easy. You just need to prove that you can support yourself, by showing either a $2,000 monthly income or $40k in savings.

Mexico is a huge nation, so weather, crime, and political climate will depend on where in the country you reside.

Ten Reasons why Mexico could be a power move for you in 2021...

Around the world, and in the US, in particular, most people are feeling deeply frustrated by the inability to move around freely – and that is apart from the assault on their other freedoms. Getting a second residency outside your country is a powerful tool for overcoming Covid’s travel challenges – and for Americans, there’s an easy solution right on their doorstep…

Mexico is one of the most underrated second home destinations in the world. At Sovereign Man, we’ve done the boots-on-the-ground research, and we’re quite bullish about the country.

Out of all the countries our team has been to in these challenging times, Mexico has been one of the stand-out destinations in terms of reasonable COVID-19 regulations and its overall sense of pre-pandemic normalcy.

A few months ago, we even hosted a highly successful and well attended Sovereign Man: Total Access event in Cancun.

In fact, one of our own team members and his family escaped the stifling lockdowns in Chile to go ride out the pandemic in Playa del Carmen, which in comparison with Santiago was massively relaxed and largely mandate-free.

Why Mexico could be right for you…

Here are the ten of the top reasons we believe Mexico could be the right Plan B destination for sovereign-minded folk like you:

1. LOCATION AND EASE OF ACCESS: Apart from Mexico being situated close to many American cities, getting in and out of the country also proved to be a breeze during the pandemic. Even during the apex of 2020’s lockdowns, there were still plenty of non-stop flights between Mexico and cities like Houston, Paris, Miami, New York, Madrid, Los Angeles and Amsterdam.

2. ULTRA LOW COST OF LIVING: Mexico was super cheap even before COVID-19. But since the pandemic struck, the cost of living has become even more affordable. Our team member reports spending only $800 per month on rent for an upmarket, fully furnished two-bedroom condo in Playa, with a delicious brunch in the trendy town of Tulum costing as little as $7.50.

Even at the best restaurants in Merida, located three hours from Playa, you’d be hard-pressed to spend more than $10 on breakfast.

3. CULTURAL FAMILIARITY: Many Americans regularly vacation in Mexico, so taking an extended “pandemic break” there will not come with any cultural shocks. English is widely spoken, and if you speak a bit of Spanish, even better.

4. WORLD-CLASS TRAVEL DESTINATION: The spectacular state of Yucatan is home to the Riviera Maya, a 100-mile-long corridor that starts south of Cancun, includes Playa del Carmen, and ends in the town of Tulum. The Riviera Maya is famous for its all-inclusive beach resorts, a plethora of boutique hotels, and a great choice of restaurants for any taste and wallet.

5. EPIC LOCAL CUISINE: Mexico is world-renowned for its sumptuous cuisine. If you’re a foodie looking to dine out without the mask police giving you a hard time at every turn, then you’re going to love living in Mexico.

6. PERSONAL SAFETY: Many people hold the view that Mexico is stereotypically dangerous. And this can be the case in certain parts of Mexico. Yet, in many Mexican towns and cities, safety is simply not an issue. For example, the state of Yucatan -- home to the colonial city Merida -- has the same violent crime rate per capita as peaceful Wyoming. And Quintana Roo, where Playa del Carmen and Cancun are located, is only slightly more “dangerous”.

7. RECLAIM A SENSE OF NORMALCY: While America, Canada, the UK and most of Europe were subjected to insanely petty lockdown regulations, in Mexico, it was pretty much business as usual. So, if you’re done losing your mind while being forced to stay indoors at home, an extended beach break in Mexico could be just the thing you need.

8. VISA-FREE ACCESS: Americans, Canadians, Britons and EU nationals can enter Mexico without a visa and stay for up to 180 days, no questions asked. And as of April 15, there still aren’t any PCR testing requirements upon entry.

9. SIMPLE RESIDENCY APPLICATIONS:
Want to stay longer than six months at a time? No problem. Temporary residency in Mexico is easy to acquire for anyone who can prove they have sufficient savings or income. You’ll need at least $2,000 per month after taxes, plus around $700 for each dependent. Alternatively, you can apply on the basis of savings -- $40,000 or so per person should be sufficient.

After holding temporary residency for four years, you can upgrade to permanent residency. That is a great asset that gives you another option to live and work (or escape) outside of your home country. And you can complete 95% of the application process without leaving your home.

10. PERMANENT RESIDENCY FOR RETIREES: Retirees have a shortcut to permanent residency in Mexico. As long as you can prove you are officially retired and have a pension or Social Security income of at least $3,500 per month, you can qualify for permanent residency immediately. Alternatively, you can replace it with around $100,000 in your bank account, or liquid investments. (And some consulates do not even require you to be retired at all.)

After five years of legal residency, you can apply for naturalization, which means becoming a Mexican citizen, and obtaining a Mexican passport.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlipnShip
I've been living in Mexico for the last year. You can get a temp residence visa for 4 years by just proving you earn $2k a month. Your not liable for tax for offshore earnings while on temp resident visa (but you are liable to your home country/tax residence). You can get permanent residency by just proving you have had 200K in the bank for the last year but then you are liable for tax in Mexico.

I lived in Western Europe for 10 years before here and I find the quality of life so much better.. Where I live is 30 degrees celsius all year round. Freedom of movement during covid (no tests needed or restrictions on entering the country) and the ability to buy your way into or out of just about anything is is a bonus. I got my legit Mexican drivers license from a guy who has a desk at my local laundromat. Only in Mexico.

How about safety in Mexico, do you claim it is safe for people relocate there?

Reactions: DavidS
not safe
I'm ok with all that was wrote over Mexico. But not over safety. Many crimes don't appear in official criminality rates. You check the usa embassy criminality index and you see a minimum part. Provably Merida is one of the better place and less criminal. But the big problem there, is the kidnaping. In all places. And not only for money. Part of my family is living there. In Jalisco. I have a family member wotking as fiscal in GDL. So I can say you that I know about what I'm talking. There are no more that 10% of the violence reflected on the report. Why? Because the police is the main suspicious colaborator. Nobody lost his time to go to the police station. So no reports. Less that 10% the crimes are reported
When I talk the crime I don't refer a simple robery. That's is nothing. The problem for people and for tourist it's the kidnaping- If you don't catch a very very low profile, you will have a problem stay where you stay.
It's one of the best country to live but... The safety it's a big problem
I'm ok with all the other question. Very light mask policy,, very cheap to live, etc..
If you walk on the street without mask, no problem. But take care of your back. Not for virus but for other problem.
I was living some years there. I still have a familly member kidnaped from 7 years ago. No news from him. No ranson. If he is on life provably he is working as slave in a crack laboratory.
If you decide to live there, good luck. Care your back. You will not only need a 50 factor solar protector;)

Mexico is one of the most dangerous places to live.

Thieves stole my friend's money from her car while she is driving. It's an often used strategy by thieves. They make you slow/stop by multiple motorcycles and crack the windows of the car, show the gun, steal everything. In less than a few mins.

I would prefer to pay 66% tax instead of living there. It's a good destination for travel though.

Reactions: DavidS and jjrapy
Mexico is one of the most dangerous places to live.

Thieves stole my friend's money from her car while she is driving. It's an often used strategy by thieves. They make you slow/stop by multiple motorcycles and crack the windows of the car, show the gun, steal everything. In less than a few mins.

I would prefer to pay 66% tax instead of living there. It's a good destination for travel though.
This is a minutia. This is trible. You will find this en many european countries. It's a very lite robery. The big problem it's when you are captive. When one of your finguer is sent to your family as proof that you are you. When you can stay captine for 3 months in a hole. This is a problem. And the problem is when all this it's happening with the police complicity. THIS IS THE PROBLEM. A simple thieve is nothing.

I think it depends where you live in Mexico personally. Mexico is a big country with many states and remote and relaxed places to live. I live in a small town on the pacific ocean in the south of Mexico.. Paradise... I've never felt unsafe here. Most people are honest and kind. Places like Los Cabos, Tijuana and Acapulco have extremely high murder rates though, but it's' Its mainly cartel on cartel as these places are big business for them. Killing tourists is not good for business. Personally I've felt far more in danger in US cities (Chicago, Detroit. St Louis,) than I have anywhere I have lived or travelled to in Mexico.

not safe
I'm ok with all that was wrote over Mexico. But not over safety. Many crimes don't appear in official criminality rates. You check the usa embassy criminality index and you see a minimum part. Provably Merida is one of the better place and less criminal. But the big problem there, is the kidnaping. In all places. And not only for money. Part of my family is living there. In Jalisco. I have a family member wotking as fiscal in GDL. So I can say you that I know about what I'm talking. There are no more that 10% of the violence reflected on the report. Why? Because the police is the main suspicious colaborator. Nobody lost his time to go to the police station. So no reports. Less that 10% the crimes are reported
When I talk the crime I don't refer a simple robery. That's is nothing. The problem for people and for tourist it's the kidnaping- If you don't catch a very very low profile, you will have a problem stay where you stay.
It's one of the best country to live but... The safety it's a big problem
I'm ok with all the other question. Very light mask policy,, very cheap to live, etc..
If you walk on the street without mask, no problem. But take care of your back. Not for virus but for other problem.
I was living some years there. I still have a familly member kidnaped from 7 years ago. No news from him. No ranson. If he is on life provably he is working as slave in a crack laboratory.
If you decide to live there, good luck. Care your back. You will not only need a 50 factor solar protector;)
I remember of a lot of crazy stuff happening there that told me a great friend of mine from Monterrey

Do a search - mexico carteles, michoacan, jalisco
And kidnapping by country, where Mexico is on the 1st place by far.

Killing tourists is not good for business.
I like it. A cartel member would think twise before kidnapping you, robbing or anything else. "They say it's not good for business to assasinate tourists in Mexico! Let's leave him alone"

Last edited:
Can permament Mexico residence help by circumventing CRS? Indicating that you live there, so CRS docs get sent to Mexico not actual residence country?
Probably. Its called proxy residency i believe. Dont think that mx will do much with these crs data anyways. But you would need a physical address in mx and maybe a bank account and utilities in your name to make it credible.

haha - true - Mexico is No.1 on the list of the worlds most dangerous countries, they kill people there for good and no one really can do anything not even the police.

There are better places unless you want to make it as the new cartel leader.

Latest Threads