Our valued sponsor

Form Canada British Columbia (BC) Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) Online

swissyj

Jul 10, 2021
Switzerland
Visit site
Sorry for the long title, but I figured that it would help people in the future to find the information better, since 3 letter words like LLP can not be searched.

Like the title says, I'm trying to form a LLP in Canada (specifically in BC) and it appears that this can not be done online. Travel restrictions due to COVID do also not permit to fly to Vancouver, so I'm looking for help to either an online registration or an agent who could help from within Canada.

Anybody any idea how I could get this LLP established?

Thanks!

I set up an LP in Ontario a few years back, but as with BC, it had to be done in person. I assume this is the same in all provinces across Canada. In Ontario, you can at least download the forms and mail them in to the provincial office for LP registration if you are unable to do it in person. Payment would need to be made by cheque though - and this is not practical when you don't have a Canadian bank account. As far as I know, only Ltd./Inc. companies can be formed online. But LP's (and LLP's in BC) can only be done in person/postal mail. I've seen a few agents advertise LP Registration services, but I cannot comment on their reliability.

Reactions: joffreylol
Thanks Kranj99!
I did some more digging and according to the blog post I found on freedomsurfer's website this seems to be rather simple and I only need to do the namecheck (can be done online and paid with credit card), then fill Form 1 and send it with a check to Canada.

General partner/owner of that LLP will be my US based LLC and it looks like I can also send a check with US funds from the US bank account. The things where I currently are:

- What to put in form field "B - business name of partnership" ? ...the approved new name for the LLP seems to go into "D - business name approved for the limited liability partnership"

- Do I have to and how do I verify my US LLC, so British Columbia accepts my Form 1 ?

- Do I really not need a "registered agent" or anything like that in Canada, just a mailing address ?

If anybody can help me with that, I would greatly appreciate it!

So I'm not too sure on the BC specifics, and I'm only making assumptions that the procedures are more or less the same in all provinces. But I will give you feedback based on my experience with the Ontario LP Set up:

1. US LLC as GP - this is OK, BUT you have to register it as an EPC (Extra Provincial Corporation) and you will be given a company number. This is a separate form in Ontario at least. Other than an annual report, there is no tax filing requirements for this EPC as long as it does not carry any business in Canada.
2. I don't think you need to "verify" the US LLC - you just register it as an EPC.
3. No need for a registered agent, but technically by law you're supposed to keep copies of things like Limited Partnership agreements and similar formalities at your registered office. But I'd say that it is very unlikely that government inspectors will come knocking at the door of your mailbox address as long as your business venture is small, discrete and not attracting too much attention. If you are engaging in large scale transactions such as commercial real estate and you are investing with several limited partners (especially ones that are Canadian residents) then you may want to opt for a registered agent if you are not maintaining a real office.

Thanks again kranj99!
I was able to get a hold of Simon from Freedomsurfer and he confirmed that I do not need to register the US LlC in British Columbia to allow it to become the general (and only) partner.
This is perfect and I just started the process of the registration.

Thanks again kranj99!
I was able to get a hold of Simon from Freedomsurfer and he confirmed that I do not need to register the US LlC in British Columbia to allow it to become the general (and only) partner.
This is perfect and I just started the process of the registration.
HI
did you then set up your company in canada?
if yes, how did you solve it with the bank and emi?

Thank you

Scusa, mi sono persa le tue domande. Sì, la società è stata costituita e Simon di Freedomsurfer è molto reattivo e attento. Posso sicuramente consigliare di lavorare con lui. Per il conto bancario utilizzo solo Wise.

Hi, have you ever been able to register with a single member or did you have to register with two members?

Latest Threads