Our valued sponsor

Getting Portugal's NHR status before it's derogated

European

Mar 10, 2023
Iceland
Visit site
Hi all,
Portugal has recently announced they will be eliminating their NHR scheme soon.
I was considering moving to Portugal in a couple of years to benefit from the scheme.
What about renting a place in Portugal in Nov-Dec 2023, perhaps a few months into 2024, so that I can apply and get NHR in 2023 before it disappears?
I've understood that once granted, NHR is valid for 10 years since the initial year, regardless of whether you move out of Portugal in between.
So if I am granted it in 2023, NHR will be valid until 2032 (included). If I am not a tax resident in Portugal in, say 2024 and 2025, I could still move to Portugal in 2026 and enjoy NHR status till 2032
Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

It is worthwhile getting professional advice here. Just imagine becoming tax resident in Portugal without obtaining NHR because of bad timing, misunderstanding etc :(.

Btw seems Portugal announced a a replacement to NHR called the Incentivized Tax Status program. It has a more limited range of benefits.

Reactions: European
I believe you cannot get it anymore as you need to have the residence permit before 1st January 2024.
You need to account in the time for processing the permit, which can take 2+ months.
Perhaps as an EU citizen you might have a chance.

Hi all,
Portugal has recently announced they will be eliminating their NHR scheme soon.
I was considering moving to Portugal in a couple of years to benefit from the scheme.
What about renting a place in Portugal in Nov-Dec 2023, perhaps a few months into 2024, so that I can apply and get NHR in 2023 before it disappears?
I've understood that once granted, NHR is valid for 10 years since the initial year, regardless of whether you move out of Portugal in between.
So if I am granted it in 2023, NHR will be valid until 2032 (included). If I am not a tax resident in Portugal in, say 2024 and 2025, I could still move to Portugal in 2026 and enjoy NHR status till 2032
Any thoughts?
I was considering the same and so I looked into it and did interviews with lawyers in Portugal
If you can get the application in by Dec 31st you will be grandfathered in for 10 years
To rent a place you need a NIF and a bank account - both of which you can get remotely pretty easily.
But to be eligible for the NHR, you need to be at a certain stage of the visa application process - I can't recall exactly what stage that is.
But if there isn't enough time to make that cutoff, there may be a workaround where you can express an interest in moving and somehow get a spot that way.
I think there is still time but everyone is running for the entrance and things will be busy.

PS: I am non-EU so it will be much easier for an EU citizen

Thanks all.
Sure, I will be getting professional advice soon but wanted to get as much info in advance as possible.
@WorldCitizen99 I am a EU citizen so no visa problems. Are you sure you can get the PT NIF and bank account remotely? I had understood you had to go physically to a Finanças (PT tax agency) office for the NIF. I wonder why you need a PT bank account though; a EU bank account should do given EU's rules on free movement of capital.
A tax advisor in PT told me about the possibility of being a partial tax resident in PT only from the time you register. For instance, if you register in December 2023, in most other countries you wouldn't be a tax resident at all that year but PT considers you a partial tax resident for only that month, so that you could apply straight away for NHR.
I wonder though how taxes for that month work if you are a fiscal resident in another EU country that year.
Guess once you have NIF and rental contract, getting the application in before Dec 31st shouldn't be hard as I assume you can apply online (or a local advisor can on your behalf)

Thanks

Latest Threads