Our valued sponsor

Good trustworthy jurisdiction for LLC & bank account of real business?

wanderingcloud

Offshore Agent
Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
I'm a digital entrepreneur, mostly in software development/websites I run with ads, not from the US. I'm a resident non-citizen in a territorially taxed southeast asian country, and not subject to worldwide income tax. Years ago I set up an IBC in Belize with bank account in Singapore. I found it difficult to do business with the big players such as Google etc (eg: adsense) since bank account and incorporation were in different jurisdictions and it was always a hassle. Forming business partnerships also always raised eyebrows with the bank account in a different jurisdiction. Also Belize didn't have the best reputation.

I'm past trying to find 0% tax strategies from dodgy jurisdictions and am ready to pay a reasonable amount of corporate income tax (<=20%) for offshore incorporation in an Internationally respected jurisdiction with a trustworthy bank account in the same country too. My research is leading me to either Singapore or Canada.

A few questions: How expensive is it to incorporate in Singapore, including the cost of having the incorporating service appoint some local director for me or whatever else is legally required? Some posts on this forum quote around the ~$5k range, yet a bit of googling brings up cheap solutions like this: Company Incorporation Services in Singapore for Quick Company Formation Anyone here with firsthand experience on actual costs?

When I had a corporate bank account in Singapore before with IBC in Belize, they required minimum 30k SGD or USD to open an account (the company is now dissolved and bank account closed years ago). I don't have kind of money right now. Again from my research I see corporate bank accounts in singapore can be opened for as low as $1k minimum deposit now from a bit of googling. There seems to be a mismatch in my understanding here. Is Singapore a cheap or expensive jurisdiction for a company + bank account, provided I'm willing to pay 17% tax?

Also, what about Canada? It states it has a 38% corporate tax rate but after a 'General Tax Reduction' (see: Corporation tax rates - Canada.ca) this seems to go down to 15%. I don't understand that, does it mean the actual corporate tax rate there is 15%? Also how hard is it to get a good corporate bank account there? Is it expensive?

My business will be online based and International, I won't be selling services to local residents of the incorporating country. I'm just after a bit of advise, as someone that's over pursuing the 0% income tax 5 flags theory in jurisdictions that always make it hard to do business with the rest of the world in practice, and just want to bite the bullet, and pay a reasonable amount of corporate tax for an easy and respected jurisdiction to operate in. I'd rather just focus on my business and grow it than focusing on tax minimization, but still refuse to pay ridiculous tax rates (>20%).

tldr:
What's the best jurisdiction for -
1) Internationally trusted country, ease of doing business (particularly in ecommerce with Google, Microsoft, Stripe, Paypal, etc)
2) Easy to also set up a corporate bank account in the same jurisdiction (I'm done keeping this in a separate jurisdiction to the incorporating country, it's always proved a headache in my experience)
3) Reasonable corporate tax rate (<=20%)
4) Reasonable overall costs (particularly yearly renewal of both incorporation fees & agent fees, and minimum bank account opening deposit & ongoing fees)
5) Paying myself a salary from the jurisdiction should not trigger any personal income tax events from the incorporating country (such as 'receiving money' from my corporation there meaning I must now owe that country personal income tax). No need to worry about the country I'm residing in, it's tax exempt from worldwide income, I'm only concerned if the incorporating country will do something insidious like that.

I'm sure this has been asked before but no doubt things have changed a lot in the last few years. I'm looking into Singapore and Canada but am open to any decent jurisdiction, but Singapore particularly seems to have a lot of conflicting information as to actual expenses.

Lastly, I'll just mention I'm not particularly interested in a US LLC as I do not wish to enter into the complicated tax system there and don't wish to put the intellectual property of the company in a jurisdiction with so many civil suits (I realize I can bypass tax there to some degree as a passthrough entity, which isn't exactly what I want - I want a full corporate 'person' in a jurisdiction with a bank account - a completely separate legal entity to myself for both liability and taxation purposes. I intend for this company to be a real business I'm operating all my websites under.

Thank you for any advise.

From what I have read here a company in Estonia may fit well for your needs and it is cheap.

Reactions: wanderingcloud
From what I have read here a company in Estonia may fit well for your needs and it is cheap.
Thanks this looks like an interesting option. I did a bit of research and it looks like setting up a proper bank account may be difficult as a foreigner, not sure if anyone else has experience with this, particularly in terms of adsense & other ecommerce platform earnings?

Thanks this looks like an interesting option. I did a bit of research and it looks like setting up a proper bank account may be difficult as a foreigner, not sure if anyone else has experience with this, particularly in terms of adsense & other ecommerce platform earnings?
Estonia is in the Eurozone. EU rules forbid companies from discriminating based on the country of the bank account within the Eurozone. If you open an AdSense or whatever account with the Estonian company, the money can be sent to any SEPA supporting EMI. You can also find Estonian EMIs for the company.

Estonia is in the Eurozone. EU rules forbid companies from discriminating based on the country of the bank account within the Eurozone. If you open an AdSense or whatever account with the Estonian company, the money can be sent to any SEPA supporting EMI. You can also find Estonian EMIs for the company.
I noticed this change in Adsense . Since maybe 1 year I am able to add a bank from another eu country. I didn’t know this is the reason.

Do you know if this only for EU accounts?

@wanderingcloud I can recommend Singapore, first 3 years you have startup tax exemption which means about 4.5% tax on the first 200k SGD, then you have the Partial Tax Exemption which gets you top 8.5% for the first 200k SGD IRAS | Corporate Income Tax Rate, Rebates & Tax Exemption Schemes which means tax is lower than the regular 17%. The upside is that you can write off a lot of travel and entertainment expenses for example which further reduce tax and the yearly cost to maintain the company is about 3-3.5k SGD depending on the corporate services provider (accounting included). You can use Wise and probably many other EMIs for bank account without issues.

Very interesting to hear, thank you for sharing! I'm resident at the moment in the Philippines and one of the trusted incorporation providers that's recommended by e-Residency of Estonia | Apply & start an EU company online kindly replied to my enquiry that they couldn't work with me due to residence here, and that success acquiring a bank account would be unlikely due to this residence, which was unexpected. Do you know of any trusted banks in the eurozone you could recommend to go with the Estonian setup that are more likely to accept a non-resident, or would an EMI be the only option?

@wanderingcloud I can recommend Singapore, first 3 years you have startup tax exemption which means about 4.5% tax on the first 200k SGD, then you have the Partial Tax Exemption which gets you top 8.5% for the first 200k SGD IRAS | Corporate Income Tax Rate, Rebates & Tax Exemption Schemes which means tax is lower than the regular 17%. The upside is that you can write off a lot of travel and entertainment expenses for example which further reduce tax and the yearly cost to maintain the company is about 3-3.5k SGD depending on the corporate services provider (accounting included). You can use Wise and probably many other EMIs for bank account without issues.
Thank you that sounds like an attractive setup. Just a question you mention using EMIs without issues, from my understanding Adsense and most major ad providers won't deal with EMIs directly and I'll need a proper bank account? From a bit of further research I've done since posting it seems this is nigh impossible without a high deposit as a non-resident?

Very interesting to hear, thank you for sharing! I'm resident at the moment in the Philippines and one of the trusted incorporation providers that's recommended by e-Residency of Estonia | Apply & start an EU company online kindly replied to my enquiry that they couldn't work with me due to residence here, and that success acquiring a bank account would be unlikely due to this residence, which was unexpected. Do you know of any trusted banks in the eurozone you could recommend to go with the Estonian setup that are more likely to accept a non-resident, or would an EMI be the only option?
It depends, but you don't always have to mention the residency. Revolut Bank obviously works, and it won't be difficult to open (might depend on your citizenship). There are really tons of EMIs that will take it.
Thank you that sounds like an attractive setup. Just a question you mention using EMIs without issues, from my understanding Adsense and most major ad providers won't deal with EMIs directly and I'll need a proper bank account? From a bit of further research I've done since posting it seems this is nigh impossible without a high deposit as a non-resident?
Received millions in ad revenue over the years and never had an issue with receiving to EMIs. They shouldn't have a problem with it. SEPA and SWIFT are the same regardless of what institution they go to. It might be difficult to get fully traditional banking. You would have a chance at Estonian banking if you flew there - maybe at LHV - but it depends on your citizenship. If you really want bank receiving details, you can still open a Currenxie, Airwallex or Currenxie EMI account. They are all partnered with banks and will provide local details

It depends, but you don't always have to mention the residency. Revolut Bank obviously works, and it won't be difficult to open (might depend on your citizenship). There are really tons of EMIs that will take it.

Received millions in ad revenue over the years and never had an issue with receiving to EMIs. They shouldn't have a problem with it. SEPA and SWIFT are the same regardless of what institution they go to. It might be difficult to get fully traditional banking. You would have a chance at Estonian banking if you flew there - maybe at LHV - but it depends on your citizenship. If you really want bank receiving details, you can still open a Currenxie, Airwallex or Currenxie EMI account. They are all partnered with banks and will provide local details
Thank you for the information.

I was about to go ahead with the Estonian eResidency & incorporation until I realized that I need to go to a country that contains an Estonian embassy or Estonia itself to collect the eresident card, and undergo fingerprinting! I thought the incorporation could all be done remotely as I've done in the past in Belize but apparently not the case with Estonia?

Looking into things more, I'm trying to work out what the catch is with a UK non-resident company. It's a top jurisdiction, and if I'm going to settle with an EMI anyway then I'm trying to see what's the catch. I see this website mentions - Non-Residents Packages from £119.99 here (The Complete Guide to UK Company Formation). I cannot understand how such a top jurisdiction as UK could be so cheap in the fees? Or I'm surely missing something. Given I'm resident in the Philippines which has no worldwide income tax for non-citizen foreigners such as myself, I'm wondering if this might be a good setup?

I've no doubt overextended my question and greatly appreciate your help, I'm perhaps asking too much now! Thank you again for your time.