Our valued sponsor

Has coronavirus affected you already?

Yes one people I was supposed to meet came down with the virus after returning from Milan. I really don't understand how Italy got it so bad. It can't be China town in Milan can it? I think maybe Italy is just testing more people than other countries for the virus and a lot more people than reported actually have it other countries around the world. Italy seems to be spreading it as bad as China. Even Italians spreading it to parts of Africa.

How do you think it will affect the banking industry?

One of my bankers in Switzerland is quarantined. I saw his out of office response to my email :(. I can't say I am not worried but it may remove the need for in person meetings with a banker for account openings etc in future and a move to total video conferencing and the 21st century.

Yes one people I was supposed to meet came down with the virus after returning from Milan. I really don't understand how Italy got it so bad. It can't be China town in Milan can it? I think maybe Italy is just testing more people than other countries for the virus and a lot more people than reported actually have it other countries around the world. Italy seems to be spreading it as bad as China. Even Italians spreading it to parts of Africa.

One of my bankers in Switzerland is quarantined. I saw his out of office response to my email :(. I can't say I am not worried but it may remove the need for in person meetings with a banker for account openings etc in future and a move to total video conferencing and the 21st century.

I currently live in Spain and it feels like it's as calm as it could be, apart from closed events. They are debating to close the schools in some less infected regions too. Apart from that it feels like it's calm where I live.

But I couldn't say so about Lithuania - they got 2 injections and the people became mad. Everything is closing - events, bars, cinemas, EVERYTHING.

I am not sure if they are over-reacting or not, but feels like people are panicking way too much.

Reactions: Btraveler
When I think about it I've never been in a hospital with anything serious (knock on wood), I'm healthy and (hopefully) not infected. Also I'm now in a country with very few infections and the behaviour is very similar to the previous post about LT.

I think the biggest impacts are retarded reactions and weird actions taken.

Of course I'm getting beaten because everything is going down - financially - US stocks, developed market stocks, emerging market stocks, bond yields, even stupid bitcoin. Maybe just gold is somewhat stagnating. Maybe it just shows how the fiat-system and debt-ridden world is fucked up... but I can live with that.

I'm more surprised by what Trump is doing, first he was downplaying it on Twitter ("just a common flu") and yesterday he decides to ban flights from EU (Schengen area) but in a completely absurd way. Flights from countries such as Latvia, Iceland, Poland are banned while travel from UK, Ireland, Japan, SE Asia and other countries is not affected. I wonder how retarded you have to be to make such decision, likely without consulting with anyone.

The country statistics are interesting...
Italy - 15113 infected - 1016 deaths
China - 80796 infected - 3196 deaths (no new cases)
Germany - 2502 infected - 5 deaths
USA - 1397 infected - 39 deaths
UK - 590 infected - 10 deaths (no flight ban)
malta - 9 infected - 0 deaths (flight ban)

I went to a supermarket and had to wait in queue for 30 minutes because everyone was preparing for the apocalypse by buying 15 packs of toilet paper.

A lot of social events, conferences, sports events getting cancelled...

Reactions: Martin Everson
I am not sure if they are over-reacting or not, but feels like people are panicking way too much.

Yes because of fake news and end of the world syndrome. Last BS story I heard is that once you get Corona virus it makes men infertile.

The country statistics are interesting...
Italy - 15113 infected - 1016 deaths
China - 80796 infected - 3196 deaths (no new cases)

China population is 1.4bn people so deaths have to be put into perspective percentage wise I guess. Do Italians have poor hygiene or something? Or maybe the kissing on both cheeks when greating each other plays a part in the spreading conf/(%.

Reactions: Cetme308win
That is why I listed these numbers, if we're to trust the infected rate (number of tested people may differ for each country), the case fatality rate is 6.7 % in Italy and 3.9 % in China, 0.2 % in Germany. Could be still statistically unsignificant.

It is not about hygiene, I believe hygienic habits are much better in Italy than in mainland China and most of SE Asia.

However, Italian people often live together with their extended family, two or three generations in one house, even with kids in their 30s - which is sometimes the case in China as well but not very common in USA or UK. Also the population is quite old and part of the spread apparently comes from some tourist destination (a city or a ski resort) so all you need is one huge party with some older Italian people group and you get result like this.

Trump's reaction is absolutely ridiculous. Also his tweet about "cheaper oil for Americans" (related to Saudi/Russia price war) is the most retarded thing I've ever read probably.

I just checked and about 5 days ago he met with some Brazilian guy who later tested positive for coronavirus (Trump is 73 by the way). It would be ironic if he gets infected by a "Make Brazil Great Again" guy after he bans Europeans from flying into USA.

trump-and-fabio-highlighted.jpg

Trump's reaction is absolutely ridiculous. Also his tweet about "cheaper oil for Americans" (related to Saudi/Russia price war) is the most retarded thing I've ever read probably.

He is obviously not aware of US shale industry and cost of production verse market price right now :rolleyes:. He is basic as a kitchen cloth in his logic and reasoning.

I just checked and about 5 days ago he met with some Brazilian guy who later tested positive for coronavirus (Trump is 73 by the way). It would be ironic if he gets infected by a "Make Brazil Great Again" guy after he bans Europeans from flying into USA.

Unfortunately only the good die young so Trump will probably live forever :(.

I am in Italy. Sorry for the typing errors and sorry for the wall of text, but I'm writing fast and there's too much to say.
It's hell. Don't joke, it's serious stuff. Trust me, I'm not a left-wing fake news media BS.

Even the most stingy people here are saying let's halt it all, f**k the economy the thing is too scary, health system is close to crash, we can't keep moving.
This thing if not contained will crash your country health system.
I agree those people piling up toilet paper are just dumb, but I want to tell you the emergency here is real.
Food shops and pharmacies here are open even during the lockdown, so no need to rush like that.
Stats are getting worse by the day. Up until two days ago I was minimising it too.
But stats are climbing exponentially. Like 2500 new positive cases per day. The age of the hospitalized is lowering day by day. Just a few minutes ago a doctor was interview and he told he's scared as the average patient now is like 40-45yo.
Deaths are still over 68yo until yesterday and "that is fine".
But it's lowering and it's spreading to healthy people. A military officer just died at 67yo and was perfectly healthy, regularly checked and everything.
You can go from fever to death in like 15-20 days.
North of Italy is HELL.
Hospitals are full, more infected means more into ICU. IIRC 1 out of 10 infected ends up into ICU, or maybe more. I've seen so many numbers these days now I can't remember.
There are not enough ICU beds and respirators. Not everyone in hospital needs a respirator straight away. Maybe if you don't heal, you need it after a few days.
The lungs stop working and you have to be intubated for like 15 days. That's why hospitals are full.
They're trying a few drugs and some seem working, but are still in test trial on a small number of cases.

There is a lockdown right now. Every retail shop unless food or primary necessities has been closed. Even restaurants/bars are closed now.
Not even funerals are allowed.
Gov told people to stay at home unless 1) road to work and back only, no run around 2) shop for food 3) health issues like go buy meds or go care old people in need

We have to fill a form writing your IDs and where are we going. That's like a sworn statement. Police will take the forms and random stop people and do check.
Yesterday they weren't really enforcing it as it was first day. Today like 2600+ people has been caught and fined 260 euros and crime charges pending up to 3 months.
This is for the not infected. The infected can be put on home quarantine if symptoms are light. If you have done the test and are infected, and you go outside that's serious jail time up to 12 years.

People is working from home. the hashtag is #stayathome, but it's s**t and doesn't work. Italian businesses aren't ready for remote work.
Today even the biggest internet provider collapsed for half an hour and even if they were only 30mins it was panic.
some recent stats said 82% of sole traders have just stopped working.
Many shops and businesses already gave up working at all days ago.
The place is empty, there's nearly nobody outside, this lockdown it's valid in the whole country right now.

Some people could be positive to the virus but have no symptoms, e.g. no fever no cough. they infect others without knowing.
What's happening is that elderly are infected by young and if they're like over 70yo there's a damn good chance of ending in hospital.
In Italy average age is pretty high so this is an issue.
I am right wing, don't like this gov, but it's a damn hard thing to handle.
What's scaring is that it happened in the most advanced area of Italy, with best hospitals etc.
if the thing spreads to the south it will be a mass slaughter.

People as soon the alert started flee from the red hot areas to more safer ones... spreading it to other regions.
Symptoms start showing after some days you get it, not straight away, so it's hard to know until either you're tested or you get hard symptoms.

We have an above the average ICU beds. And we are like 15days ahead of other EU countries.
UK, Spain, France god bless them next week it'll be their time.
Spain is the one I think I'll be at least as worse as Italy. Give it 2 weeks from now.

I use to visit the Geneva motor show, but it has been cancelled...
I've had a business trip next week in Portugal which has been cancelled...
And I had planned 2 trips to Italy, one in April, another one in June. I shall go to Belgium instead, but it's getting really difficult to make plans.

Flights from countries such as Latvia, Iceland, Poland are banned while travel from UK, Ireland, Japan, SE Asia and other countries is not affected. I wonder how retarded you have to be to make such decision, likely without consulting with anyone.

If you come to the UK from Italy and then fly to the USA from there - they would still not let you in. I think they won't let to USA anybody who has been in EU in the last 2 weeks.

Spain is the one I think I'll be at least as worse as Italy. Give it 2 weeks from now.

I hope you are wrong, man. I have decided to postpone my daughters' school just in case. God bless you, stay safe.

You don't know where to go to be safe, it's a real problem for nomads traveling all the time. Second problem which makes things worse is that you can't travel where you want, with more and more restrictions...

Besides, I have stocks, I have bitcoins, and everything's down...

I am in Italy. Sorry for the typing errors and sorry for the wall of text, but I'm writing fast and there's too much to say.
It's hell. Don't joke, it's serious stuff. Trust me, I'm not a left-wing fake news media BS.

Even the most stingy people here are saying let's halt it all, f**k the economy the thing is too scary, health system is close to crash, we can't keep moving.
This thing if not contained will crash your country health system.
I agree those people piling up toilet paper are just dumb, but I want to tell you the emergency here is real.
Food shops and pharmacies here are open even during the lockdown, so no need to rush like that.
Stats are getting worse by the day. Up until two days ago I was minimising it too.
But stats are climbing exponentially. Like 2500 new positive cases per day. The age of the hospitalized is lowering day by day. Just a few minutes ago a doctor was interview and he told he's scared as the average patient now is like 40-45yo.
Deaths are still over 68yo until yesterday and "that is fine".
But it's lowering and it's spreading to healthy people. A military officer just died at 67yo and was perfectly healthy, regularly checked and everything.
You can go from fever to death in like 15-20 days.
North of Italy is HELL.
Hospitals are full, more infected means more into ICU. IIRC 1 out of 10 infected ends up into ICU, or maybe more. I've seen so many numbers these days now I can't remember.
There are not enough ICU beds and respirators. Not everyone in hospital needs a respirator straight away. Maybe if you don't heal, you need it after a few days.
The lungs stop working and you have to be intubated for like 15 days. That's why hospitals are full.
They're trying a few drugs and some seem working, but are still in test trial on a small number of cases.

There is a lockdown right now. Every retail shop unless food or primary necessities has been closed. Even restaurants/bars are closed now.
Not even funerals are allowed.
Gov told people to stay at home unless 1) road to work and back only, no run around 2) shop for food 3) health issues like go buy meds or go care old people in need

We have to fill a form writing your IDs and where are we going. That's like a sworn statement. Police will take the forms and random stop people and do check.
Yesterday they weren't really enforcing it as it was first day. Today like 2600+ people has been caught and fined 260 euros and crime charges pending up to 3 months.
This is for the not infected. The infected can be put on home quarantine if symptoms are light. If you have done the test and are infected, and you go outside that's serious jail time up to 12 years.

People is working from home. the hashtag is #stayathome, but it's s**t and doesn't work. Italian businesses aren't ready for remote work.
Today even the biggest internet provider collapsed for half an hour and even if they were only 30mins it was panic.
some recent stats said 82% of sole traders have just stopped working.
Many shops and businesses already gave up working at all days ago.
The place is empty, there's nearly nobody outside, this lockdown it's valid in the whole country right now.

Some people could be positive to the virus but have no symptoms, e.g. no fever no cough. they infect others without knowing.
What's happening is that elderly are infected by young and if they're like over 70yo there's a damn good chance of ending in hospital.
In Italy average age is pretty high so this is an issue.
I am right wing, don't like this gov, but it's a damn hard thing to handle.
What's scaring is that it happened in the most advanced area of Italy, with best hospitals etc.
if the thing spreads to the south it will be a mass slaughter.

People as soon the alert started flee from the red hot areas to more safer ones... spreading it to other regions.
Symptoms start showing after some days you get it, not straight away, so it's hard to know until either you're tested or you get hard symptoms.

We have an above the average ICU beds. And we are like 15days ahead of other EU countries.
UK, Spain, France god bless them next week it'll be their time.

i don't follow news daily ,but effected countries need to ban travelling and report all cases. i doubt it will spread fast southern side of italy because the virus isnt strong in warmer weather.

Hi

Its my first post here.
I am a young guy who like to know what you think is the best to invest in in this COVID time?

Buying bitcoins, bearish knock out products, silver?

Is it the right forum to talk about?

Thank you very much :)

Stocks and Gold would not be that bad. I have made some good investment already I hope.

Italy and Spain have both issued bans on short-selling of dozens of stocks.

Also, similar with FCA.

Malta has taken strong measures too it seems.

Travel banned from another four countries, €1,000 fine if quarantine ignored

-----start quote

Travel between Malta and Switzerland, Germany, France and Spain is being banned as from midnight on Wednesday, the government has announced.

The same restriction already applies for travel to and from Italy.

Prime Minister Robert Abela told a press conference on Wednesday afternoon that arrivals from those four countries today, and anyone who arrived from Italy in the past 14 days has to observe mandatory quarantine at home.

Spot checks will be made by the police and anyone failing to observe quarantine orders will be subject to a €1,000 fine each time.

--- end quote