Our valued sponsor

Hong Kong set to allow corporate directors to obscure their identity

What has this got to do with US?
Directly - nothing.

But what of an opinion would *you* be if you were born in Hong Kong or a) Sinkiang / Urumchi or b) Tibet or c) Taiwan (to a lesser degree) or d) inner Mongolia or e) China itself?

And if besides that, you wanted to have freedom of expression, freedom of information in general. Who would you call for help if you got jailed for critising or expressing your opinion about the government? Or simply for exposing the truth.

How would you feel if other country would invade yours and establish its draconian rule there pretending that rule would be for YOUR OWN good?

What if you went to China, got captured, put in jail and they'd be trying to "remove bad elements from your world view, for *your own good!"? Martin, that would be nice for you, huh?

Go to Urumchi or any other place mentioned above (some - more, other - less of a degree), buy a house there and then you'll learn "what it has to do with the US".

Last edited:
And if besides that, you wanted to have freedom of expression, freedom of information in general. Who would you call for help if you got jailed for critising or expressing your opinion about the government? Or simply for exposing the truth.

Plenty of countries have limited freedoms. Have a walk around the middle east. A guy got cut to pieces in a Saudi Embassy in Turkey for critcising the government.

How would you feel if other country would invade yours and establish its draconian rule there pretending that rule would be for YOUR OWN good?

Whats this got to do with HK?

What if you went to China, got captured, put in jail and they'd be trying to "remove bad elements from your world view, for *your own good!"? Martin, that would be nice for you, huh?

If you go to China via your own choice do as the Romans when in Rome. I don't go to Saudi Arabia and start telling women they should be able to take off their Burqa's and walk around in hotpants :confused:.

Go to Urumchi or any other place mentioned above (some - more, other - less of a degree), buy a house there and then you'll learn "what it has to do with the US".

Why would I go there or buy a house there?

I am no fan of China but HK is an internal matter. The US should fix its own problems at home before interfering in other countries internal affairs.

Last edited:
So everyone is happy because the inexorable march toward the slavery of over seven million people will help you hide some money from the tax authorities? It seems that human nature never changes.
As I had the privilege of living in Asia from 2006 to 2016 (latest 2 years in HK) I can tell you before the 2019 so-called "revolution", HK was one of the greatest places to live on earth (minus the outrageous rents but that's demand/supply theory at work).

After 2019, China had to take note of what was happening despite swallowing a big rock for the "2014 umbrella revolution". And with that they took action.

At this point, it's safe to say those who protested shot their own feet.
And all of this has created a mess for those who are going to stay (aka the people without the money to move abroad......rich fat cats have 2 or 3 passports)

Last edited:
From the FT:

"Under the proposed rules, the Hong Kong government would not require companies to reveal home addresses, passport or identification numbers of their directors on public registers. Without this information, directors could use different versions of their name in different languages on a range of documents and entities.

Companies can start implementing the changes immediately and the law will come into full effect by October 2022."

Interesting.

Reactions: jafo

Latest Threads