Our valued sponsor

How does the residency check work?

bisk

Feb 1, 2019
Malta
Visit site
EU citizen, traveling sometimes by plane, sometimes by car. How countries check where he was to determine if he hadn't crossed the 183-days rule? Do they even check?

Sometimes I get by the plane to country A, then travel with rented car to country B and get back to country A to return by plane. How would they treat that? Also I found out that Germany also has 90-days rule for 4 years. How much is this principle used? I am not Germany citizen. No business in Germany, but I thought about forming GmbH company and now I hesitate.

Do I have to prove my presence in a given country or is it a country's tax office duty? What proofs will they accept? I ask not only for Germany but other EU countries too. That's a topic that wasn't really covered.

Resident check currently working only when you have a law/tax trouble. Sometimes in random check.

When you are under radar Authorities could check your phone billings, cc usage, bank account statements etc.
This is a reason why should avoid banks with smartphone app and similar s**t. This is a rule for 100% clear business too, because in this world normal activity for someone could be "strange activity". One stupid official could destroy your life without any responsibility.

Reactions: bisk and Gediminas
it really depends a lot on the country. But in general the 183 days rule is just the starting point, you are resident even if you don't live there all that time but the country remains the center of your social and economic life (IE. you have family, you have business, you keep all the money in the country, you have under your name a rent, own a house, a gym membership etc).

Usually, if the country where you move it's not in blacklist, it's them having to prove you are still resident, but be always ready with everything can show you have a social and economic life elsewhere (IE. move your assets there, keep receipts etc.) and more important, pay some taxes somewhere: you cannot be just "resident in the world" paying 0 taxes. This is a rule they tend to follow now, somewhere you have to pay something.

Latest Threads