Our valued sponsor

How to better send money to Argentina for living?

I have some remote job and I'm currently in Brazil. I'm not a Brazilian. I plan to visit Argentina and stay there for around several months.

Q: How would I better manage sending or spending money in Argentina to take advantage of the black dollar market? And generally, to avoid unnecessary rate conversions, fees...

* I can't buy dollars in Brazil because, first, I won't be able to buy enough all at once; secondly, the rate in Brazil, I guess would be bad - I'll be able to find dollars easily at all; thirdly, I don't want to carry around too much of dollars.

* Therefore, what would I do if not buy dollars in Brazil? Bring some BRL and change them in Argentina? Again, I never use cash even in Brazil and the same problem as with with dollars, mentioned above, would arrise.

* Paying by card or withdraing cash in Argentina from my card -- this would be the worst case, in terms of fees and exchange rate. Correct?

* What else? Sending myself some money, every 1-2 weeks, via Western Union, perhaps? Can I send dollars AND receive dollars? If not, which rate, low or black one, would WU use? This might be the best option

I have some remote job and I'm currently in Brazil. I'm not a Brazilian. I plan to visit Argentina and stay there for around several months.

Q: How would I better manage sending or spending money in Argentina to take advantage of the black dollar market? And generally, to avoid unnecessary rate conversions, fees...

* I can't buy dollars in Brazil because, first, I won't be able to buy enough all at once; secondly, the rate in Brazil, I guess would be bad - I'll be able to find dollars easily at all; thirdly, I don't want to carry around too much of dollars.

* Therefore, what would I do if not buy dollars in Brazil? Bring some BRL and change them in Argentina? Again, I never use cash even in Brazil and the same problem as with with dollars, mentioned above, would arrise.

* Paying by card or withdraing cash in Argentina from my card -- this would be the worst case, in terms of fees and exchange rate. Correct?

* What else? Sending myself some money, every 1-2 weeks, via Western Union, perhaps? Can I send dollars AND receive dollars? If not, which rate, low or black one, would WU use? This might be the best option
Try Bitcoin and go ask around in casas to get an exchange similar to what dolar blue an offer.

Otherwise stop over in Panama and get the dolars there. Of course, cash is not ideal for many reasons but maybe staying below the 10k$ limit already allow you enough profit to finance the stopover in Panama.

Try Bitcoin and go ask around in casas to get an exchange similar to what dolar blue an offer.
How many casas would I go to? Thousands? Millions?

Otherwise stop over in Panama and get the dolars there. Of course, cash is not ideal for many reasons but maybe staying below the 10k$ limit already allow you enough profit to finance the stopover in Panama.
I've already explained why I wouldn't bring dollars with me. And it's not only because that there's no convinient place to buy them.

He’s in Brazil, Panama is far away from there. Maybe you mean Paraguay?

In google - usd/ars = 1/109, whereas at the website of WU - 1/190

Almost twise as better! Does this mean that WU uses the black dollar rate? And it'll be a nice way to send myself money? I'd receive ARS, but with nice rate.

And I'd be sending them little by little.

Will this work?

In google - usd/ars = 1/109, whereas at the website of WU - 1/190

Almost twise as better! Does this mean that WU uses the black dollar rate? And it'll be a nice way to send myself money? I'd receive ARS, but with nice rate.

And I'd be sending them little by little.

Will this work?
Right now, based on google, usd/ars is 1/176, so this is evidence of the Argentinean hyperinflation.

But this rate is what they call the "official rate". Due to Argentinean government restriction for people to buy USD (since several years ago) a black market was created to buy and sell USD, and they call these USD: "blue dollar".

Even when this is illegal, everyone accepts it and Blue Dollar have a very consistent and very spread rate that right now is about 1/350.

That's also why WU pay more than official rate, but under the Blue Dollar rate.

So, based on hyperinflation, and specially based on insecurity, Argentina isn't a good place to live or consider to move right now. But one thing is true, if you go there with USD in your pocket, then you will be a king. Everything is so cheap right now in order to adjust hyperinflation to the purchasing power of the people.

So for Yoshikazu Kiyomizu (OP), your best bet apparently is WU. I live in a country between Argentina and Brazil and I know a lot of Argentina people, I contact some and apparently WU is so far the best way to get money there. No one can tell me if you can actually get the USD bills in your hand or if they always convert it to ARS, but if you can get the USD, better to get it and exchange on the black market.

a little off-topic but it's a stale thread anyways... does anyone know if one normally can (how easy it is) buy/sell bitcoin for cash in Argentina?

a little off-topic but it's a stale thread anyways... does anyone know if one normally can (how easy it is) buy/sell bitcoin for cash in Argentina?
Its easy, bitcoin is widespread. Houses are also being sold for bitcoin in Argie land.
What is not a good idea is for an unsuspecting gringo to show up and try his luck. Trusting and dealing only with trusted people is key.

You go to your favorite exchange binance, kucoin or whatever and look for cash in person as is very normal there, if you click in the users many have a phone number so you can text them and do it. I had been there last year and I have a contact of a safe office they do crypto to cash if you need pm me. If you are selling crypto to cash you need to take a bag with you because money there is worthless.

Reactions: jjrapy
You go to your favorite exchange binance, kucoin or whatever and look for cash in person as is very normal there, if you click in the users many have a phone number so you can text them and do it. I had been there last year and I have a contact of a safe office they do crypto to cash if you need pm me. If you are selling crypto to cash you need to take a bag with you because money there is worthless.
Its a good way to access the "dolar blue system" without having the need of actually holding on to so much physical usd (which needs some work to get them cheaply in Latam). By getting peso at the market and not the managed rate.

dollar is blue value 354 and official dollar 186. I do not recommend banks, only crypto or cash. If you send to Argentina, it is transformed to the official (186) AUTOMATICALLY instead... if you sell the crypto or cash you get (354) or a quote, (perhaps less if you use p2p from binance). I hope the information is useful to you.

Reactions: JackAlabama
dollar is blue value 354 and official dollar 186. I do not recommend banks, only crypto or cash. If you send to Argentina, it is transformed to the official (186) AUTOMATICALLY instead... if you sell the crypto or cash you get (354) or a quote, (perhaps less if you use p2p from binance). I hope the information is useful to you.
This will be the future to come to many economies.

There are many ways to send money to Argentina, I've been there many times and crypto is the easiest way to get money there because it is widely spread. Plus there are services like "Anchors" in the Stellar blockchain that let you off ramp from USDC there, of course you need to do KYC but the rate is the same from the blue price

Argentina is awesome - I met a guy who allegedly brings USD cash and USDT to the country, converts to pesos at the real/unofficial rate, buys goods and services and declares the invoices in pesos in his accounting (obviously) using the official rate :D

seems creative to me

Argentina is awesome - I met a guy who allegedly brings USD cash and USDT to the country, converts to pesos at the real/unofficial rate, buys goods and services and declares the invoices in pesos in his accounting (obviously) using the official rate :D

seems creative to me
And highly ilegal but hey everybody live the life they want haha

And highly ilegal but hey everybody live the life they want haha
I guess it must be illegal in some way however he declares the costs in another country and he said his accountant didn't even have another option that to use the official rate :)

beautiful example where regulations lead

Supongo que debe ser ilegal de alguna manera, sin embargo, declara los costos en otro país y dijo que su contador ni siquiera tenía otra opción que usar la tasa oficial.:)

hermoso ejemplo donde las regulaciones conduce

hablame y te comento algo interesante

Supongo que debe ser ilegal de alguna manera, sin embargo, declara los costos en otro país y dijo que su contador ni siquiera tenía otra opción que usar la tasa oficial.:)

hermoso ejemplo donde las condiciones conducen

Talk to me and I'll tell you something interesting.

Last edited:

Latest Threads