Our valued sponsor

How to determine tax residency

Scratch

Oct 4, 2022
EU
Visit site
Hi,

How do countries determine tax residency?

In my case for example, I live full time (6+ months) in my native country (non-EU, non-US, non-CRS/AEOI), while I also have a residence permit from an EU country and stay a few months in the year in a few different EU countries.

If I receive my money in my home country, would I only need to pay taxes there (despite my EU residence permit)? Or would I potentially need to clear up some things?

I also have a US LLC that I can use to accept payments, the US LLC is only tied to my native residence and not to my EU residency.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi,

How do countries determine tax residency?

In my case for example, I live full time (6+ months) in my native country (non-EU, non-US, non-CRS/AEOI), while I also have a residence permit from an EU country and stay a few months in the year in a few different EU countries.

If I receive my money in my home country, would I only need to pay taxes there (despite my EU residence permit)? Or would I potentially need to clear up some things?

I also have a US LLC that I can use to accept payments, the US LLC is only tied to my native residence and not to my EU residency.

Thanks!
You can be a tax resident of more than one jurisdiction depending on the local tax laws. Here is a place to start: https://www.oecd.org/tax/automatic-exchange/crs-implementation-and-assistance/tax-residency/