Our valued sponsor

Income earned before new residency

stevy777

Jul 4, 2021
Antartica
Visit site
Would I have to pay tax on this income :

A) If I earned income in June but not yet paid to my bank
B) I move to a new country and become a tax resident on the day I moved to the new country - eg July 18th
C) The money I earned in June is deposited into my bank account on August 13th

Question: am I liable to tax on the bank deposit from new country?

Would I have to pay tax on this income :

A) If I earned income in June but not yet paid to my bank
B) I move to a new country and become a tax resident on the day I moved to the new country - eg July 18th
C) The money I earned in June is deposited into my bank account on August 13th

Question: am I liable to tax on the bank deposit from new country?
Nobody will be able to answer your question without knowing the countries involved. It all depends on each countries' tax code and if they do have a DTT with each other!

That depends entirely on the laws of the involved countries, there's no general answer.
It's not unusual for countries to have a rule that money that was earned while you were tax resident in country A is still taxable in country A, even if you've lived in country B for a long time when the money was finally paid out. So you may have to pay taxes in country A years after you have moved.

Last edited:
That depends entirely on the laws of the involved countries, there's no general answer.
It's not unusual for countries to have a rule that money that was earned while you were tax resident in country A is still taxable in country A, even if you've lived in country B for a long time when the money was finally paid out. So you may have to pay taxes in country A years after you have moved.
Thank you

Latest Threads