Our valued sponsor

International Sim Card

The best travel SIM is, and will be for a long time, Google FI. I pay 70$/Month for the unlimited plan, which is really unlimited*. I never changed my SIM in any country, they are covering 200+ countries with voice, sms AND DATA!!! Now to the * : You have 22Gb at full speed, then it will be "limited", but not limited like nothing will work anymore, they limit it to a reasonable speed so you can still surf the web. Normal carriers limit the speed to an unusable speed, lol.... If you want to go back to full speed and billing cycle is not over yet you can do so for 10$/GB, but I never personally made use of it.

Here comes the great BUT.... but you have to order and activate the card in the US :( . First activation outside the US doesn't work anymore. I was able to activate it outside the US, but a friend who ordered the card a year ago to my US post forwarder and then to him, wasn't able to activate it outside of the US.
But if someone is in the US for a few weeks, I can really recommend him to get a Google FI SIM.

Not part of the initial question but maybe still good to know:, for bank verification etc. i can recommend: onesimcard.com , they have a special virtual SIM for bank verification, just ask support. No verification needed, payable in BTC. I recommend them over proovl.com, because proovl has a lot of carrier issues.... at least 2 major issues with canceled numbers a year... once they canceled 10+ numbers over the weekend and wasn't able to react.... just imagine telling the bank to change 10+ numbers for which you lost access... At onesimcard never had any problems so far.

Reactions: JustAnotherNomad
All those solutions are are excellent if your are in the US or you can receive SMS/Voice calls from any carrier. The problem is Paypal. Those bastards send their SMS/Voice calls to US phone numbers through US carriers only. This means any of those solutions will ever work in Europe.

The sender has no idea to know where you are. It’s a general restriction then. Even if you were in the US, you wouldn’t be able to receive the text message in that case.
But I’m surprised, usually Google Voice works quite well.

That's what I thought, but I can confirm Paypal sent me several SMS while in the US. Those bastards know how to limit their comunications to US numbers through US carriers only. I can receive my bank's SMS and other services normally here in Europe. Paypal is the first and only issue I'm facing so far with my US phone number in Europe.

That doesn’t make any sense at all. Google Voice even sends you the text messages to your email. You think they check where you are before sending it to your email?
Maybe PayPal changed their SMS provider or maybe they just blocked Google Voice. But I really cannot see how this could have anything to do with you not being physically in the US.

Latest Threads