Our valued sponsor

International tax expert company

Arsenal88

Feb 5, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

I am looking for a reliable international tax expert company, specialized in sales and purchase of industrial properties worldwide. Can anyone advise a good one?

Thank you for your answer in advance!

You'll want one who also understands your local law. Even though a lot of things are standardised now (especially within the EU/EEA), a Lithuanian adviser isn't necessarily all that useful if you're not resident in Lithuania or subject to Lithuanian law.

I'd start with looking at the likes of Vistra, Sovereign, Trident, Appleby, Grant Thornton, and other well-established and reputable (but not Big-4) firms. See if they have a local presence in your country.

Reactions: Almouk and Tax Cow
@Sols what's wrong with the big 4?

They all have dedicated transfer pricing, direct tax, as well as indirect tax practitioners. I'd also add in BDO as a worthy consideration, they are particularly fit for EU and UK related issues; not so much for the rest of the world.

A professional tax opinion letter from those is perceived as highly prestigeous and is less likely to result in a tax dispute. If available in mentioned country, they can even get you an advance ruling from the tax office. The only problem is that you might have to press a little to work with them on one-off pricing terms, and not let them keep you on the hook for steep annual fees. The downside of that, of course, is that they will not inform you about related changes to the tax code.

Reactions: Almouk
@Sols what's wrong with the big 4?
Nothing major aside from their prices and billing practices. I'm not convinced you get additional value with Big 4 if you're an SME. I've often had better experiences with non-Big-4.

They are great if you are a large enterprise organisation but for smaller businesses, they have a tendency to run up the hours and milk clients in a way that mid-size firms like the ones mentioned don't.

I will disagree with you, with all the respect.

It doesn't matter where the international tax expert is located, in Lithuania or anywhere else. The most important thing is his competences in the international tax environment, his experience and works with international business structures, international tax structuring, but not only local laws understanding. The person I am speaking about was working in big4, also was working in the companies that provide trust services in NL, CY, so his residency is irrelevant. On the other hand, any structure should be matched with the local resident lawyers. Just for verification purposes. And that is what a good lawyer would do.

Maybe you're right, but I just know that I wouldn't use a lawyer or adviser who isn't familiar with how my local tax authority and courts (and other relevant authorities) actually enforce and interpret the law and how, for example, offshore structures and viewed and have been treated in past cases. I want someone with that knowledge, and who also knows that and who is well versed in international financial transactions and tax matters. It doesn't have to be one person. A firm with practices and offices in all the relevant jurisdictions might be better since you get the pooled knowledge of multiple people.

Reactions: Almouk

Latest Threads