Our valued sponsor

Is Italy still territorial tax based?

Why choose Italy and pay the €100k while you can get residency in Malta and under the non-dom you pay €5k min. tax only? Furthermore you can any time take the ferry and go to Italy for some weeks as a tourist...
Yes it makes no sense. For example, In Monaco you pay 0. For, 100k per year you can rent something very nice in Monaco.
I don't understand why someone would consider paying 100k / year in Italy.

Yes it makes not much sense. For example, In Monaco you pay 0.
Nice apartment in Monaco - 200k+ per year.
Nice apartment in Italy - 40-80k per year.
So it does make sense for some people.

I considered Italy as an option for my main tax residency, however they require 183+ days for that (comparing with 60+ on Cyprus).

I spend a lot of time in Spain, so for me splitting my time in Italy and Spain would work only if nobody will actually count my days in Italy (so declaring a residence in Italy but spending less than 183 days there. And of course spending less than 183 in Spain).

Yes it makes no sense. For example, In Monaco you pay 0. For, 100k per year you can rent something very nice in Monaco.
I don't understand why someone would consider paying 100k / year in Italy.
Let me know where in Monaco you can find a 10 hectares park. Not everyone likes to live in a block house.

Nice apartment in Monaco - 200k+ per year.
Nice apartment in Italy - 40-80k per year.
So it does make sense for some people.

I considered Italy as an option for my main tax residency, however they require 183+ days for that (comparing with 60+ on Cyprus).

I spend a lot of time in Spain, so for me splitting my time in Italy and Spain would work only if nobody will actually count my days in Italy (so declaring a residence in Italy but spending less than 183 days there. And of course spending less than 183 in Spain).
Nobody counts the days you spend in Italy. You just need to be registered in the resident population registry. This is condition 1 of the 3 alternatives available for the flat tax (the other 2 being (de facto) resident or domiciled).

It's a problem concerning the other country, not Italy. You need to plan wisely
No argument here.
By the way do you know how Italian tax guys treat crypto holdings for "non-doms"? In most countries with territorial taxation it's usually one of 3 scenarios:
1) They recognise crypto, but deem it "offshore" unless used to exchange on local exchanges or remitted in any form (used to by goods/services in the country or settle a domestic loan)
2) They recognise crypto, deem it "onshore" if the owner holds the keys and "offshore" otherwise (plus the same remittance rules as above).
3) They don't recognise crypto or don't care.

Last edited:
No argument here.
By the way do you know how Italian tax guys treat crypto holdings for "non-doms"?
There is no such a concept of "non-dom" in Italy.

In most countries with territorial taxation

Italy does NOT have a territorial taxation system.
it's usually one of 3 scenarios:
1) They recognise crypto, but deem it "offshore" unless used to exchange on local exchanges or remitted in any form (used to by goods/services in the country or settle a domestic loan)
2) They recognise crypto, deem it "onshore" if the owner holds the keys and "offshore" otherwise (plus the same remittance rules as above).
3) They don't recognise crypto or don't care.
Crypto is an asset and must be declared in a standard tax return. Whereas if you opt for the flat tax you don't have to declare any asset that is held outside of Italy.

Reactions: manukahoney
Crypto is an asset and must be declared in a standard tax return. Whereas if you opt for the flat tax you don't have to declare any asset that is held outside of Italy.
I wonder what it practically means "outside Italy" when it comes to crypto :)

to be able to use lump sum tax in Italy you have to become a tax resident and not to be a resident anywhere else to benefit from it, which means to stay there for a serious amount of time - I understand that holding your crypto on an exchange regulated outside Italy is probably ok, but whatever you hold in self custody might be one day considered "in Italy" since you're there - I get it, you don't have to report anything, but practically speaking... - or am I missing something?

I wonder what it practically means "outside Italy" when it comes to crypto :)
you could ask for a ruling or just stay silent and pay your €100k.

to be able to use lump sum tax in Italy you have to become a tax resident
this doesn't require a minimum stay
and not to be a resident anywhere else to benefit from it,
you can be fiscal resident in all the countries you wish at the same time.

which means to stay there for a serious amount of time
Not from the Italian perspective, but it can be true for another country's taxman.
- I understand that holding your crypto on an exchange regulated outside Italy is probably ok, but whatever you hold in self custody might be one day considered "in Italy" since you're there - I get it, you don't have to report anything, but practically speaking... - or am I missing something?
It depends on what "self custody" means. A server/node located in Italy would certainly need to be declared, a laptop probably not, a Ledger/Trezor no, as they are "wallets" like your old fashioned leather wallet in your back pocket.
Just remain silent and avoid the problem.

you can be fiscal resident in all the countries you wish at the same time.
yes, exactly
for example I currently own a property in Italy but don't spend there any time during the year and I don't intend to - I can probably make myself an Italian tax resident and pay the lump sum of 100k EUR/year (which I would benefit from) but it doesn't (as far as I understand it) make any change to my tax residency in my "home" country because of the center of life interests - DTT between my country and Italy wouldn't solve anything (I believe) because it says nothing about this situaction and I would be still liable the to pay the tax in my home country

yes, exactly
for example I currently own a property in Italy but don't spend there any time during the year and I don't intend to - I can probably make myself an Italian tax resident and pay the lump sum of 100k EUR/year (which I would benefit from) but it doesn't (as far as I understand it) make any change to my tax residency in my "home" country because of the center of life interests - DTT between my country and Italy wouldn't solve anything (I believe) because it says nothing about this situaction and I would be still liable the to pay the tax in my home country
correct. It could be useful if you spent most of your time in a tax free or territorial taxation country.

Interesting topic.
Did some research about this "flat tax" - basically it works as explained:
1) no need to declare any non-Italian income, no reporting required, no wealth tax, nothing. Just pay lump sum 100k, one-page tax report.
2) no minimum stay requirements after registration in the register. Basically you can spend a couple of months in Amalfi drinking Prosecco and be a tax resident as long as you are not a tax resident in any other high-tax country (need some planning and keeping the records straight).
3) no remittance tax - you can spend your "offshore" money in Italy as much as you like, no taxes on that (unlike in the UK, Ireland and other countries with remittance basis taxation)
4) good food, climate, relatively cheap (comparing to the UK, US, France and Germany, definitely cheaper than Dubai or Monaco). Crazy bureaucracy, nothing get done in time, shitty services all around - typical South Europe. North is better and more expensive, South is worse yet cheaper.

Some major caveats:
1) if you own a big chunk in a company (non-Italian for this matter) and decide to sell it - you will pay CGT (need to read small print on this)
2) non-EU citizens have to get a visa and there are basically 2 working options - either an "investment visa" with some ridiculous demands (2mil in Italian bonds or 0.5 mil in any IT company / 0.25 in a startup) or a "retirement" visa with a lot of paperwork and a need for a passive income (like royalty, pension or rent, not dividends from your own company)

Did I miss anything?

Reactions: void and khinkali
if this is correct then it's another minus for this option...

---- quote start
  • Anti-abuse provision: Capital gains resulting from the sale of qualified participations during the first 5 years of residency are not exempted and subject to normal Italian tax (that is, the usual Italian capital gains tax of 26% applies). Qualified participations represent 20% of the voting rights or 25% of the share capital of foreign companies (for Italian listed companies the qualifying threshold is 2% of the voting rights and 5% of the share capital)
---- quote end

To return to your initial point seems your putting lifestyle first which is more important in the end. But the Italian program is hot garbage. I would not bother with Italian program and save yourself 100k.

P.S My signature is very clear ;)
I've lived where you live, lived in a lot of tax friendly nations (cough).

I am tired of the lack of culture, OR intellect... (being brutally honest, it gets tiresome).

Did consider returning to the carib, but it's island life again and i've resided on one or another for a decade and more.

Why choose Italy and pay the €100k while you can get residency in Malta and under the non-dom you pay €5k min. tax only? Furthermore you can any time take the ferry and go to Italy for some weeks as a tourist...
Italy would be 'ideal' as kids can go to boarding in Swiss, and we can ski in Swiss - and have a home base there - its also full of culture and great for sailing etc, modern amenities etc.

Malta i did look at... but it's a island, wife needs grand malls and all the essentials, and kids will need a proper education etc, but be within reach of their mother.

yes, exactly
We'd likely spend 6 months in Europe...

4 months in Italy (summer) 2 months in Swiss (winter), we spent 4+ months in Europe annually prior to covid.
2wks-1 month in Africa (Kenya/Zanzibar).

Rest of the time likely Asia.

Making italy(europe) a home base doesn't necessary mean we want to live full time [f**k that]

I've lived where you live, lived in a lot of tax friendly nations (cough).

I am tired of the lack of culture, OR intellect... (being brutally honest, it gets tiresome).

Did consider returning to the carib, but it's island life again and i've resided on one or another for a decade and more.

Italy would be 'ideal' as kids can go to boarding in Swiss, and we can ski in Swiss - and have a home base there - its also full of culture and great for sailing etc, modern amenities etc.

Malta i did look at... but it's a island, wife needs grand malls and all the essentials, and kids will need a proper education etc, but be within reach of their mother.

We'd likely spend 6 months in Europe...

4 months in Italy (summer) 2 months in Swiss (winter), we spent 4+ months in Europe annually prior to covid.
2wks-1 month in Africa (Kenya/Zanzibar).

Rest of the time likely Asia.

Making italy(europe) a home base doesn't necessary mean we want to live full time [**** that]
That’s a very good plan.

---- quote start
  • Anti-abuse provision: Capital gains resulting from the sale of qualified participations during the first 5 years of residency are not exempted and subject to normal Italian tax (that is, the usual Italian capital gains tax of 26% applies). Qualified participations represent 20% of the voting rights or 25% of the share capital of foreign companies (for Italian listed companies the qualifying threshold is 2% of the voting rights and 5% of the share capital)
---- quote end
Yes you need to wait 5 years for selling a business tax free. In the meantime, you can cash in dividends, and/or structure the sale in a different way if you are in a rush… ;)

Don’t expect Italy or anywhere else to be any better, unfortunately.
Italy would be 'ideal' as kids can go to boarding in Swiss, and we can ski in Swiss -
Switzerland you mean?
There are very good schools and ski slopes also in Italy.

Reactions: wellington
That’s a very good plan.

Yes you need to wait 5 years for selling a business tax free. In the meantime, you can cash in dividends, and/or structure the sale in a different way if you are in a rush… ;)

Don’t expect Italy or anywhere else to be any better, unfortunately.

Switzerland you mean?
There are very good schools and ski slopes also in Italy.
Ah was thinking le rosey.

Swiss (we have a home there). Doesn't make sense to sell it, and we pay considerable tax or fees annually.

Live in Italy though (or France, elsewhere etc) as Swiss as charming as it is, gets a bit dull...

Ah was thinking le rosey.
No doubt it is a good one, but there are so many variables involved with choosing a school. If you choose a boarding school, then location is not so important, so maybe you can even consider England/Scotland.
Live in Italy though (or France, elsewhere etc) as Swiss as charming as it is, gets a bit dull...
Save on taxes, spend more on travel!

Reactions: wellington