Our valued sponsor

Is Italy still territorial tax based?

Yes it makes no sense. For example, In Monaco you pay 0. For, 100k per year you can rent something very nice in Monaco.
I don't understand why someone would consider paying 100k / year in Italy.
Monaco is full of tourists taking photos though... people rarely factor that in, it's nouveau rich choca block in summer.

No argument here.
By the way do you know how Italian tax guys treat crypto holdings for "non-doms"? In most countries with territorial taxation it's usually one of 3 scenarios:
1) They recognise crypto, but deem it "offshore" unless used to exchange on local exchanges or remitted in any form (used to by goods/services in the country or settle a domestic loan)
2) They recognise crypto, deem it "onshore" if the owner holds the keys and "offshore" otherwise (plus the same remittance rules as above).
3) They don't recognise crypto or don't care.

The EU will introduce a region wide taxation for crypto anyway...

@wellington
Everything depends which passport you have.
I would not recommend europe currently as it will change massivly over the next 2 years.
Living officaly as wealthy in a communist region is not something i would recommend.
polonieth posted already about the issue with jabs in western countries which are reducing massivly T-Cells which just started causing the over mortality .Soon it will get way worse and there are already laws which says to take peoples wealth to pay for the damages caused by jabs by 2024.
Also if you have not a non european passport it might happen at a specific time that you won't be allowed to leave anymore.
All the high walls on US/EU borders are clearly not build to keep immigrants out :D
Based on history you can imagine who is always building high walls for their citizens

Reactions: polonieth
Why choose Italy and pay the €100k while you can get residency in Malta and under the non-dom you pay €5k min. tax only? Furthermore you can any time take the ferry and go to Italy for some weeks as a tourist...
For quality of life its Italy every time - and similar high tax countries over Malta. My understanding is if you really really want to sleep easy its 6 months plus one day in a tax-preferred country where you have your vital centers of interest and that you really like living in - plus that country has good dta’s with the high tax countries where you want to play and spend under 6 months and where your vital centers of interest are not located. M has many dta’s but really anyone who has lived there knows the limitations of living for 6 months on the most densely populated place in Europe. Like many small islands, M needs to offer attractive packages to attract people - but the more established your wealth the more likely you might want to find ways to be free of the ‘stuck on the tiny island’ model. Naturally some people love the lifestyle offered by M and so its all down to personal preferences. Other people truly like being a digital nomad who is constantly moving and is careful enough to monitor and stay clear of every different country’s tax traps and can use M as a shorter term stay and as part of a very carefully made overall plan - but for people who like to put down some serious roots in higher quality countries while sleeping easy at night, M can be a good shorter term option to build wealth and later to move on to other options.

Last edited:
For quality of life its Italy every time - and similar high tax countries over Malta. My understanding is if you really really want to sleep easy its 6 months plus one day in a tax-preferred country where you have your vital centers of interest and that you really like living in - plus that country has good dta’s with the high tax countries where you want to play and spend under 6 months and where your vital centers of interest are not located. M has many dta’s but really anyone who has lived there knows the limitations of living for 6 months on the most densely populated place in Europe. Like many small islands, M needs to offer attractive packages to attract people - but the more established your wealth the more likely you might want to find ways to be free of the ‘stuck on the tiny island’ model. Naturally some people love the lifestyle offered by M and so its all down to personal preferences. Other people truly like being a digital nomad who is constantly moving and is careful enough to monitor and stay clear of every different country’s tax traps and can use M as a shorter term stay and as part of a very carefully made overall plan - but for people who like to put down some serious roots in higher quality countries while sleeping easy at night, M can be a good shorter term option to build wealth and later to move on to other options.
In short: Italy is better than Malta smi(&%

You can’t live well in Italy if you have a Swiss mind, and viceversa.

Jabs? It’s just a piece of paper, nothing that you can’t find in Napoli smi(&%
To be frank i liked Italy way better than Switzerland, people were a lot more relaxed and less insufferable in general.

Only city i really liked in Switzerland was Lausanne but the population is basically just younger adults still in University so the vibes are more laid back. Everywhere else, the arrogance was top of the list lol.

For quality of life its Italy every time - and similar high tax countries over Malta. My understanding is if you really really want to sleep easy its 6 months plus one day in a tax-preferred country where you have your vital centers of interest and that you really like living in
That could work for me. Interesting thread, bookmarket.

Reactions: oldtimer2
I was wondering about the longer term privacy benefits of tax residency schemes where the fiscal resident does not currently need to report their worldwide or foreign income. I suppose some of the countries offering special tax residency regimes (examples such as UK, Ireland, Malta territorial non-dom, Portugal NHR, Italy and Switzerland lump sum type programs, etc) might not require the fiscal resident to declare all their foreign income perhaps because those tax authorities know most international financial institutions are or will eventually be reporting the resident‘s income etc back to the tax authority under CRS etc. Seems like Most countries and financial institutions now demand to know where you are tax resident, where your businesses are located, where you live, etc etc …. Meaning the tax authorities are just waiting patiently till they have received all the fiscal resident‘s financial data. I am not saying they will use the data to raise tax during the low tax period from the individual resident… but will use it at least to develop a profile on them for later use. I wonder if governments can now exchange lists of passport numbers of their (foreign) residents to cross check their records and join dots. Anyone know? Or is that a scenario we might expect sometime?

Last edited:
tbh most issues talked about in this forum could be solved by following this mantra
that's very true but math is a bitch - at certain point you will find out that your life is too good to take any chances

to be specific - I can for example save hundreds of thousands on taxes just by deciding not to pay and no one would find out - however there is non-zero chance someone/somehow will in the next 10 years with devastating consequences and I don't want to and cannot afford to live in such a position just to save some money

I'd rather burn the money than give it to criminal organization, supporting my people's enemy bothers me more

You can’t live well in Italy if you have a Swiss mind, and viceversa.

Jabs? It’s just a piece of paper, nothing that you can’t find in Napoli smi(&%
what are you going to do after your lump sum regime is over? move to a new place? if you dont have a family its great, personally for me I would save and live in a small place which is not 10 hectares and build a stable life in one country. But, I really respect your decision. to each their own

what are you going to do after your lump sum regime is over? move to a new place? if you dont have a family its great, personally for me I would save and live in a small place which is not 10 hectares and build a stable life in one country. But, I really respect your decision. to each their own
Such regimes are a joke. It's just for "foreign source income". For example, if you have BVI company and work with it. You will still have to pay tax in Italy.

I still have 10 years if I want, anyway this I setup was for solving a specific situation so I will probably end being an Italian taxpayer in a couple of years.

I still have 10 years if I want, anyway this I setup was for solving a specific situation so I will probably end being an Italian taxpayer in a couple of years.
OK, I am an Italian tax resident at the moment and really disappointed with italy cuz they rejected my 70% - 90% exemption request and made my life extremely difficult during covid since I refused to take the vaccine (not allowed to enter specific places etc). I am planning to move somewhere else in europe for tax purposes and my kids would need quality education in the next 3 years (they turn 1 next month). I would welcome your suggestion without any bias :). I will be posting my issue with the italian tax authority in a bit in a completely new thread and would appreciate your input on that issue.

As a coloniser country citizen, its always interesting discussing the colonisation of Europe.
As they say, KARMA IS A BITCHHHH !!! LOL

Latest Threads