Our valued sponsor

Is there such a thing as a private bank / investment bank / advisory firm for DeFi and Crypto?

pipona

Mentor Group Gold Premium
Jul 10, 2011
South Sandwich Islands
Visit site
For someone who is an old-school crypto hodler, largely ignorant of the newfangled stuff the cool kids are doing, is there any equivalent of a top tier private bank/investment bank? Some entity that is trustworthy and well connected and can advise HNW clients on what to invest in (in exchange for management fees, performance fees). An ideal firm/group would have the following:

-self-custody (not investing with a VC firm)
-fee based advisory
-a deep understanding of risk/reward of each strategy
-upcoming projects to invest in
-investments across the board: yield farming, staking, Layer 1 / Layer 2 tokens, rollups, NFTs etc etc

Basically, does anything exist in between?

A: starting from scratch, doing your own lengthy research, making your own costly mistakes.
B: giving a bunch of fiat to some entity like Grayscale or buying a crypto ETF like a boomer.

Reactions: equityone
For someone who is an old-school crypto hodler, largely ignorant of the newfangled stuff the cool kids are doing, is there any equivalent of a top tier private bank/investment bank?
Yeah, DBS bank in Singapore offer the most comprehensive one I think, but you need to have a private banking relationship with them first before you be able to trade any sort of digital currency with them.

There are others like bank frick in Lichtenstein, seba bank in Switzerland and bitcoin suisse in switzerland, but these caters mostly to crypto businesses, while DBS is more of a long time partner that can help you with whatever you want including managing your crypto assets. So you chose what fits you best and go from there.

Good luck

Reactions: 3leaf
-fee based advisory
-investments across the board: yield farming, staking, Layer 1 / Layer 2 tokens, rollups, NFTs etc etc

Maybe Bank Frick in Liechtenstein will cover some of that.

Reactions: 3leaf
For someone who is an old-school crypto hodler, largely ignorant of the newfangled stuff the cool kids are doing, is there any equivalent of a top tier private bank/investment bank? Some entity that is trustworthy and well connected and can advise HNW clients on what to invest in (in exchange for management fees, performance fees). An ideal firm/group would have the following:

-fee based advisory

A: starting from scratch, doing your own lengthy research, making your own costly mistakes.
B: giving a bunch of fiat to some entity like Grayscale or buying a crypto ETF like a boomer.
To be fair there is in reality to much ponzi factor around cypto all rise i supporting state that crypto is rising overall.
Real money are making insiders that are dumping on mob, there is not that much more "skill" factor than "ape in" and take away money.
The best returns you will have on most scams projects bu promising everything - but you need exit on right time.
The faster you will be against mob the more risk/reward ratio you have.
I have seen from beginning project like www.iconomi.com they are like more "copy trading." they show you some returns.
At the end of day noone of those full time traders beat market eg. If you bought ETH like 200$, cardano arround 0.1$ you would be at same profit return as BEST TRADERS.

Similar was in 2017 Pantera capital was investing during 2016-2017 bull run and they just manage mimic BTC price return.
Is hard to beat the market I doubt than 90% of people around will make better using private firms than just buyig ETH/BTC.

In between for me would be just print coinmarketcap.com throw every month dart on it and buy for 100$,1000$,10000$ depends on you.
Crypto markets are driven by emotions, pnd, ape moves - you should not overthink them because it will burn you.

Reactions: clemens and 3leaf

-fee based advisory

There is a licensed investment fund in Cyprus which may be suitable.

Reactions: clemens
For someone who is an old-school crypto hodler, largely ignorant of the newfangled stuff the cool kids are doing, is there any equivalent of a top tier private bank/investment bank? Some entity that is trustworthy and well connected and can advise HNW clients on what to invest in (in exchange for management fees, performance fees).
Up until maybe 2016-2017 crypto was run by coders and technology enthusiasts. There was very little publicly available expertise that would combine deep understanding of both the technology and financial markets. Things have changed. I would look into Galaxy Digital (+Vision Hill), Polychain Capital or some of the stuff Pantera Capital offers. Even if you mentioned self-custody, you might find suitable service there. (I am not affiliated or an investor with any of these).

Banks are latecomers to the crypto arena, and you are unlikely to find the best skillset with them. Moreover, if the service relies on brokerage-type fees, your interests are not aligned with theirs.

Last edited:
Reactions: pipona

-fee based advisory

B: giving a bunch of fiat to some entity like Grayscale or buying a crypto ETF like a boomer

Did you see Mr. Goxx that beats Buffet & SP500 with his crypto portfolio returns

Since you’re obviously a far seasoned hodler, hnw and looking to get a piece of the action outside the realms of legacy crypto-space, alternatives are numerous, but each crypto
”subcategory Asset” I believe comes with it’s own expertise, as far as advisors I haven’t seen any firm out there, let alone banks, private or not that cover the whole crypto spectrum under one roof.

But as you said, would be as simple as throwing money on etf’s and that’s it.

Some suggested by the previous commenters are good indeed, specially Galaxy Digital.

But there are also many exciting projects being developed and many will roll out in the near future far beyond ICO’s, DeFi, such as specially dAPI’s.

Then there is the traditional approach of legit trading cryptos, or placing wagers on pixelated apes and hoping for the best.

I am working in the industry myself, but am not allowed to give out name’s of the firms or solicit clients.

The idea is, do you want to simply hedge your crypto exposure and collateralize part of your hodl amount so you can gain returns on top of your current yield, considering that supposedly you’re an early hodler..

Or you just want to get involved into as many crypto currencies, stake tokens, purchase NFTs, participate in ICO’s, SCO’s, diversify and speculate in a risk managed overall portfolio.

Latest Threads